The Laws of the Universe Part 0

Popularity: 1,126th All Time, 931st This Week

The Laws of the Universe Part 0 The Laws of the Universe Part 0

The Laws of the Universe Part 0 Cast

Comments

batcool
said at 9:14 PM on Sun Nov 5 2017
Pretty interesting film and man what a great cast
SNaG
said at 7:39 AM on Wed Sep 14 2016
Got around to seeing this movie (only for the dub cast) and... it wasn't great. Really meh. Although it had some good bits here and there, it became laughable by the end. It's kinda hilarious how this was submitted as a potential Oscar contender.

Really begs the question why they went all in with the VO starpower here, Voice acting was good, but it's a shame that the big guns were brought out for this project.
said at 7:53 AM on Wed Sep 14 2016
@SNaG

IIRC this movie was funded/developed by a controversial group called Happy Science which is often described as Japan's Scientology. Take that as you will.
SNaG
said at 6:03 PM on Wed Sep 14 2016
@NCZ It all makes sense now...
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 11:30 AM on Sat Sep 17 2016
@SNaG Honestly, as nice as the dub is, it's kind of a shame that some Scientology-esque group can get Hynden, Josh, & Fred, while Viz or Aniplex couldn't come close for Expelled in Paradise or One-Punch Man.

I mean, if something like TTG (which i dont usually comment on) can get these guys (& Khary Payton, Scott Menville, John DiMaggio, & Tara STrong)...

..it kind of sucks that such great shows that get decent ratings, cant really come close.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 11:33 AM on Sat Sep 17 2016
@SNaG OPM is only 12 episodes, meaning it wouldnt be THAT expensive to pay animation scale, especially for a popular show.

I also kind of expected that JoJo's & to an extent Hunter x Hunter would get similar dubs, but I imagine they're a bit too long to justify it.

It's rather strange that these shows can get close to 1M viewers on AS, yet have such extremely meager-budgeted dubs.

Don't get me wrong, the dubs we have are enjoyable as-is, it just *could* be better.

That Star Ocean 5 dub has experienced talent whom I've also never heard of...which is really nice.
Troodon2
said at 2:57 PM on Sat Sep 17 2016
@NCZ "Japanese Scientology"

This is all starting to make sense to me now! I mean of course from a meta perspective, in story is still rather confusing.
Troodon2
said at 9:35 AM on Thu Jun 2 2016
So to all those have seen this film and a looking forward to a sequel, what do you want to see?
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 7:48 AM on Mon Jun 20 2016
@Troodon2 Dee Bradley Baker & James Arnold Taylor, please.
Troodon2
said at 7:17 PM on Mon Jun 20 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed I mean plot wise.
Zillah
said at 10:24 PM on Wed Mar 16 2016
Wait a minute... TOM KENNY in an ANIME?
Autovolt
said at 8:54 AM on Thu Mar 17 2016
@Zillah Well he was in IGPX and Rave Master before, so really it's not that much of a stretch that Tom Kenny is in an anime.

But it's the first time in over a decade, hopefully he starts doing a bit more here and there.
Zillah
said at 11:34 AM on Fri Mar 18 2016
@Autovolt Ah, I wasn't aware of that actually. Still pretty uncommon, and it would be pretty cool to see that more often.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 7:55 PM on Tue Sep 27 2016
@Zillah The project'd have to be union as well as pay animation rates (which are $889/hour, versus most dubs with $64/hour), so it isn't too likely, but it'd be nice of course. He'd make a great Lupin III.

I also gotta say, that while I dig this cast, it boggles me that the budget on this dub couldn't be put to a better show or movie.

I don't know anyone that even went to see this, either, so it's not like an issue of supply & demand either.
Autovolt
said at 8:54 AM on Wed Mar 16 2016
I had no idea Dave Fennoy voiced in this. He's really starting to get into doing anime....which I'm not complaining.

Cool that Dorothy Fahn and Beau Billingslea are also in this.

I'll inevitably give this a watch for better and for worse.
Troodon2
said at 9:44 PM on Thu Mar 17 2016
@Autovolt Coo, hope to hear your thoughts on the film soon.
Troodon2
said at 12:12 PM on Tue Mar 15 2016
Alright, so I finally got a chance to watch this film, and in English no less-- and man was it underwhelming.

I can't say it's bad though, it's just that some of the movie's philosophical memos seem rather forced, especially with religion involved (Not that I'm anti-religious btw) and some of the character dialogue seems rather hammy, especially from the villains of this piece.

But there are good bits though, the voice acting is decent; and it was especially a delight to have Josh Keaton, Tom Kenny, Fred Tatasciore, Dave Fennoy, Dylan McDernott and Jennifer Beals involved. And there were some comical lines in the film which I did find pretty funny.

But as is, it's just rather... Meh! Not bad, not really good either just, meh.

Although if they do make a sequel to this, I'd be happy with that, since that means this story can continue and we can see how this criteria gets better developed along the way, and even meet some new voice actors, be they anime, non-anime, and celebrity actors.
Troodon2
said at 9:20 PM on Mon Nov 2 2015
Trailer's out.

MegaMike1990
said at 12:21 PM on Thu Oct 15 2015
They also recently casted Jennifer Beals.

Another interesting casting.
Troodon2
said at 1:12 PM on Thu Oct 15 2015
@MegaMike1990 Hopefully they cast more, I can't wait to see this come out!

Who know who else they might get. Ron Perlman?! Oh, one can only hope.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 12:23 PM on Sun Sep 27 2015
The US gets a theatrical release before Japan? Strange.
Mr_Ecchi_Man
said at 11:37 AM on Thu Oct 15 2015
@Scrappy-Fan92
A world premiere in another country isn't that uncommon...
Autovolt
said at 7:11 AM on Sun Sep 27 2015
Holy Crap Josh Keaton in an anime!

I've always thought he would have been perfect for anime, and it's nice to see Roger Craig Smith and Hynden Walch in another one, they haven't voiced in anything new in a long while. Plus seeing Yuri Lowenthal and Kari Wahlgren in more is great. I'm also looking this up on ANN and it seems like Tom Kenny and Fred Tatasciore are in this too. Seriously it's like the casting director looked up VA's on the names to know in anime on TvTropes, not that i'm complaining.

And Dylan McDermott....the guy is an awesome actor. I'm amazed they got him on-board. He must be an anime fan of some kind? I mean this isn't even Studio Ghibli.

also...is this a Bang Zoom, Studiopolis or NYAV Post dub? and Part 0....so this must be a multi-parter instalment. Overall Now This is what Unionized Dubs were made for IMO....These kinds of castings.
JRPictures
said at 5:36 PM on Sun Sep 27 2015
@Autovolt
It's Bang Zoom actually, they posted a pic on Instagram of McDermott in the recording studio a couple of weeks back: https://instagram.com/p/6_a_x1LLQy/
Troodon2
said at 1:23 PM on Thu Oct 15 2015
@Autovolt Appearently, Wendee Lee is the voice director.
Troodon2
said at 11:22 PM on Sat Sep 26 2015
Shut Up, they casted Josh Keaton and Dylan McDernott?!

Well, count me interested! :)
Ray