The Secret World of Arrietty

Disney (2012)
The Secret World of Arrietty The Secret World of Arrietty

The Secret World of Arrietty Cast

Comments

batcool
said at 4:43 PM on Mon Feb 20 2017
Great film good animation and cool cast i actually like the Disney dub of the film such as Bridgit mendler as Arrietty and David henrie as Shawn/Sho
JTurner
said at 11:14 PM on Fri Aug 23 2013
Not my favorite Ghibli movie, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Beautiful to look at as always, and the music is gorgeous. As far as the dub is concerned, it's not one of my favorites from the Disney Ghibli canon, but I had no major qualms with it (aside from the occasional odd-sounding line and a few moments were there were some gaping mouths. Bridget did a surprisingly good job as Arrietty, and honestly, I wasn't all that offended by David Henrie either. Yes, he sounds more mature, but if I could enjoy James van der Beek's similarly mature (but still solid IMO) Pazu in Castle in the Sky, then I could tolerate this. The warmth he brought to the part really shone through. Carol Burnett really steals the show, though, as Hara.
EPA Deane
said at 1:48 AM on Tue Jan 17 2017
@JTurner Have you still not seen the British Dub yet?
JTurner
said at 8:58 PM on Thu Feb 2 2017
@EPA Deane No, I haven't had access to it, but honestly, I don't think I'd prefer it over Disney's if it was done well. It'd see it as an interesting alternate take, cause I've never outright hated a Disney dub at all. The Wind Rises was the only one I found to be underwhelming, but then again that's because the movie really disappointed me. But the Disney dub for this movie is nowhere near bad.
EPA Deane
said at 7:19 AM on Fri Feb 3 2017
@JTurner Of Course. I actually have seen both of the Dubs as a matter of fact. The Disney Dub is Very Good (like you said). I'm just more accommodated to the British voice cast.

That said.... I do slightly prefer Carol Burnett's Haru voice to
Geraldine McEwan's performance.

I am legitimately surprised that Disney did their own dub as an Alternative to the Studio Canal one. What Made them do that?
PurpleWarrior13
said at 8:40 PM on Sat Jun 15 2013
I love this movie! It's so simple, the characters are all fun and believable, and I loved the music and artwork! I haven't seen the British version, but I LOVED the voices of Bridget Mendler, Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett, Gracie Poletti, and Will Arnett! I thought they captured the characters perfectly, and really helped give the movie some extra life. Sometimes I thought David Henrie sounded a little old, but I wasn't bothered by it after a couple scenes.
dreamer
said at 2:06 AM on Thu Nov 8 2012
I haven't seen the Disney version, I watched the UK one and I was so glad I did. Great 'other wordly' music, names stuck to the original Japanese.. just perfect.
BlankSlate
said at 6:03 PM on Mon Feb 25 2013
@dreamer I have the DVD with the British cast on it, and I think that Americans would probably have gone to see it if the Japanese names were kept; the change was unnecessary.
rephead
said at 10:28 PM on Fri Aug 3 2012
I didn't like it :(. I tried but no...Plus I hated how Disney changed the names of some of the characters!
partymonster411
said at 9:02 PM on Tue Feb 14 2012
AAAAHHHH Studio Ghilbi have good dubs with celebritys, not disney stars (ponya had Liam Neeson nuff said) and overused actors (will arnett)
Arrietty
Spiller
Shawn / Sho
RELATED ITEMS
Search for "The Secret World of Arrietty style=" on Amazon.com.