Pokemon: The First Movie

US Theatrical: Nov 06, 1999
Japan Theatrical: Jul 18, 1998

Animation Studio: OLM

Popularity: 141st All Time, 174th This Week

Franchise: Pokemon
A.K.A. Mewtwo Strikes Back

Some scenes were removed from the English dub version of the film, however they were later released as "The Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" as a special feature with the Mewtwo Returns DVD.
Pokemon: The First Movie Pokemon: The First Movie

Pokemon: The First Movie Cast

Narrator

Comments

DreamMaster08X
said at 10:23 AM on Sun Dec 22 2013
I... ...didn't like this one.

Even as a kid, to which I would usually like ANY movie, this one just left me feeling unsatisfied in an entertaining sense. Something never clicked with it for me in my youth. You could assume that I didn't like Pokemon and thus that's why this one did nothing for me, but honestly, I WAS a Pokemon kid growing up. With the games and a couple of the movies (the show not as much), I was, even at times, obsessed. This movie, however, wasn't a good showcase of my love for it. This is the exact same issue I have with the first Rugrats movie. Both left me in a rather... unpleasant state.

One thing I did like however: Mewtwo. The voice, the backstory, the mere presence of him... all handled very well. But other than that, I usually just skip this movie.

Also, I feel absolutely terrible for Nostalgia Critic, since his review of the movie was ultimately panned by countless Pokemon fans. Sincerest apologies to him.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 10:14 AM on Fri Jul 1 2011
Amber? I don't remember her...

This was a good movie, though I admit that I slightly prefer Pokemon 2000. I remamber kids going crazy over this movie in the US! It was all they were talking about!
said at 3:37 PM on Sun Dec 25 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 She was only in the Japanese version. The scenes featuring her were presented as a bonus feature on the Mewtwo Returns DVD.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 8:35 PM on Mon Jan 30 2012
@NCZ Ah! I almost forgot about those scenes...
Metabad
said at 1:48 AM on Thu Jun 9 2011
This, and Pokemon 2000 were definitely my favourite pokemon movies, the stories just felt so dark despite some cheesy moments and Phillip Bartlett was a great actor for Mewtwo, I think everyone should watch the film at least once if only for his unique role since a performance like that will never be heard again.
Metabad
said at 12:40 AM on Thu Nov 13 2014
@Metabad It's times like these where I wish I could go back and edit my old comments.
Dr.Who
said at 2:29 AM on Wed Jan 13 2016
@Metabad
Dr.Who
said at 2:31 AM on Wed Jan 13 2016
@Metabad
There are better films, you know, though if you're hoping for the newer ones since DP being better, well, they aren't- XY's are notably performing abysmally in the box office in Japan, the Hoopa Film has the lowest box office reviews to date in Japan in particular. You should check out the Johto-Hoenn films, those are the best.
Metabad
said at 11:37 PM on Wed Jan 20 2016
@Dr.Who I actually meant editing out "A performance like that will never be heard again" since Jay Goede's alive and all, but okay.

To be honest I stopped watching them in theaters and stopped watching cold turkey after the third movie, I think I just ended up getting burnt out from them, especially with how many there are now. I might give the Lucario movie a watch sometime, but eh.
Dr.Who
said at 5:12 AM on Thu Jan 21 2016
@Metabad
Oh, I see, well that makes sense to me, no problem.

I don't blame you, even in the fandom nowadays with people who like the newer Anime Series, most of them will admit the Movies have been on a sharp decline and gotten repetitive. The films are pretty solid, until DP, that's when they really begin getting bad and predictable, but XY's are probably the worst so far- first one rehashed this film in many ways, and the Hoopa one was pretty pointless. Definitely recommend the Lucario film, though, most of the fandom considers it the best since Movie 3.
penguintruth
said at 10:54 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
The first Pokemon movie was the best.

It's too bad the English dub replaced the original music and missed the point of the movie.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 11:25 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
@penguintruth
The second movie is my personal favorite. "Tears of Life" is a pretty good piece of music IMO.
penguintruth
said at 1:21 AM on Sun Feb 27 2011
@Jackson_H Give me "Mewtwo Toujou!" over that any day.

Also, I prefer this movie because of how much darker and more mature it was in comparison to the TV series (at least, until the Disney end).
BTVA Spotlight
SEGA
Week
Born Today, July 25th

Maureen Forrester

Wendy Raquel Robinson

Andrew Caldwell

Dave B Mitchell
Mewtwo
Mew
Mewtwo
Mewtwo

Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Pokemon: The First Movie characters.

RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Pokemon: The First Movie style=" on Amazon.com.