Pokemon: The First Movie Pokemon: The First Movie Pokemon: The First Movie

Pokemon: The First Movie
US Theatrical: Nov 06, 1999
Japan Theatrical: Jul 18, 1998
Franchise: Pokemon

Popularity: 128th All Time, 233rd This Week. *

A.K.A. Mewtwo Strikes Back

Some scenes were removed from the English dub version of the film, however they were later released as "The Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" as a special feature with the Mewtwo Returns DVD.

The Cast

said at 10:23 AM on Sun Dec 22 2013
I... ...didn't like this one.

Even as a kid, to which I would usually like ANY movie, this one just left me feeling unsatisfied in an entertaining sense. Something never clicked with it for me in my youth. You could assume that I didn't like Pokemon and thus that's why this one did nothing for me, but honestly, I WAS a Pokemon kid growing up. With the games and a couple of the movies (the show not as much), I was, even at times, obsessed. This movie, however, wasn't a good showcase of my love for it. This is the exact same issue I have with the first Rugrats movie. Both left me in a rather... unpleasant state.

One thing I did like however: Mewtwo. The voice, the backstory, the mere presence of him... all handled very well. But other than that, I usually just skip this movie.

Also, I feel absolutely terrible for Nostalgia Critic, since his review of the movie was ultimately panned by countless Pokemon fans. Sincerest apologies to him.
said at 10:14 AM on Fri Jul 1 2011
Amber? I don't remember her...

This was a good movie, though I admit that I slightly prefer Pokemon 2000. I remamber kids going crazy over this movie in the US! It was all they were talking about!
said at 3:37 PM on Sun Dec 25 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 She was only in the Japanese version. The scenes featuring her were presented as a bonus feature on the Mewtwo Returns DVD.
said at 8:35 PM on Mon Jan 30 2012
@NCZ Ah! I almost forgot about those scenes...
said at 1:48 AM on Thu Jun 9 2011
This, and Pokemon 2000 were definitely my favourite pokemon movies, the stories just felt so dark despite some cheesy moments and Phillip Bartlett was a great actor for Mewtwo, I think everyone should watch the film at least once if only for his unique role since a performance like that will never be heard again.
said at 12:40 AM on Thu Nov 13 2014
@Metabad It's times like these where I wish I could go back and edit my old comments.
said at 10:54 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
The first Pokemon movie was the best.

It's too bad the English dub replaced the original music and missed the point of the movie.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 11:25 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
The second movie is my personal favorite. "Tears of Life" is a pretty good piece of music IMO.
said at 1:21 AM on Sun Feb 27 2011
@Jackson_H Give me "Mewtwo Toujou!" over that any day.

Also, I prefer this movie because of how much darker and more mature it was in comparison to the TV series (at least, until the Disney end).

Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Pokemon: The First Movie characters.