Pokemon: The First Movie

Pokemon: The First Movie

Pokemon: The First Movie

Theatrical Release Date (USA): November 6, 1999

Theatrical Release Date in (Japan): July 18, 1998

Franchise: Pokemon
A.K.A. Mewtwo Strikes Back

Some scenes were removed from the English dub version of the film, however they were later released as "The Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" as a special feature with the Mewtwo Returns DVD.
SELECT VIEW: [ Characters ]  [ Side By Side ]  [ Voice Cast ]  [ Credits ]

The Cast

Narrator

Latest Comments

DreamMaster08X (Probationary Moderator)
said at 10:23 AM on Sun Dec 22 2013
I... ...didn't like this one.

Even as a kid, to which I would usually like ANY movie, this one just left me feeling unsatisfied in an entertaining sense. Something never clicked with it for me in my youth. You could assume that I didn't like Pokemon and thus that's why this one did nothing for me, but honestly, I WAS a Pokemon kid growing up. With the games and a couple of the movies (the show not as much), I was, even at times, obsessed. This movie, however, wasn't a good showcase of my love for it. This is the exact same issue I have with the first Rugrats movie. Both left me in a rather... unpleasant state.

One thing I did like however: Mewtwo. The voice, the backstory, the mere presence of him... all handled very well. But other than that, I usually just skip this movie.

Also, I feel absolutely terrible for Nostalgia Critic, since his review of the movie was ultimately panned by countless Pokemon fans. Sincerest apologies to him.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 10:14 AM on Fri Jul 1 2011
Amber? I don't remember her...

This was a good movie, though I admit that I slightly prefer Pokemon 2000. I remamber kids going crazy over this movie in the US! It was all they were talking about!
said at 3:37 PM on Sun Dec 25 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 She was only in the Japanese version. The scenes featuring her were presented as a bonus feature on the Mewtwo Returns DVD.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 8:35 PM on Mon Jan 30 2012
@NCZ Ah! I almost forgot about those scenes...
Metabad
said at 1:48 AM on Thu Jun 9 2011
 1 Shout Out! [?]
This, and Pokemon 2000 were definitely my favourite pokemon movies, the stories just felt so dark despite some cheesy moments and Phillip Bartlett was a great actor for Mewtwo, I think everyone should watch the film at least once if only for his unique role since a performance like that will never be heard again.
penguintruth
said at 10:54 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
The first Pokemon movie was the best.

It's too bad the English dub replaced the original music and missed the point of the movie.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 11:25 PM on Sat Feb 26 2011
@penguintruth
The second movie is my personal favorite. "Tears of Life" is a pretty good piece of music IMO.
penguintruth
said at 1:21 AM on Sun Feb 27 2011
@Jackson_H Give me "Mewtwo Toujou!" over that any day.

Also, I prefer this movie because of how much darker and more mature it was in comparison to the TV series (at least, until the Disney end).

#1 favorite Movie
for 1 member.

A favorite Movie
for 49 members.
Latest Reason:

"First movie I saw in theaters and still sits comfterably in my top 3 Pokemon films."

- LongLiveTheLionKing
FAVE CHARACTER
Mewtwo
Mew
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Pokemon: The First Movie characters.
Mewtwo