Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

US Theatrical: Jun 1985
US Home Media: Dec 1985
Japan Theatrical: Mar 04, 1984

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Popularity: 187th All Time, 527th This Week

Has two English dubs:
New World Video (1985, titled "Warriors of the Wind")
Disney (2005)
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind Cast

Narrator

Comments

CaptainGrumpy
said at 1:11 AM on Thu Oct 5 2017
this was a neat movie, excellent visuals - particularly by 1984's standards

Alison Lohman had me hooked as Nausicaa

Patrick Stewart can sell anything to me (except The Emoji Movie)

Shia was okay, he had a few bits that were kinda off but nonetheless he was fine

Uma Thurman and Jack Skellington (sorry, Chris Sarandon) each gave excellent performances as the antagonists, and Chris sounded amazingly smug which was great

Mark Hamill was great, but his character was an arsehole - less of an arsehole than Muska was

the rest of the cast did fantastic with this movie, as with most if not all Ghibli dubs, and I was surprised to see both Dawn (Emily Bauer/Jenness) and Connie (Grace Rolek) in the cast list

all in all, an epic experience, though not the absolute "toppermost of the poppermost" best, it's certainly an interesting story with lots of explosions and fight scenes and great animation plus a fantastic musical score

I'm debating whether to watch Kiki or Marnie next, I've been meaning to watch both but I've been slacking off heavily
Jacob M. Keene
said at 6:15 PM on Sat May 16 2015
This is definitely super awesome, and Alison Lohman did a great job voicing NausicaƤ! Hayao Miyazaki, you did a great job making this movie, and I'd definitely like to see more of your movies!
JTurner
said at 10:39 AM on Fri Feb 21 2014
And to think this movie was once known in America as "Warriors of the Wind," a 95-edited travesty that turned Miyazaki's 118 minute ecological epic into a dumbed down kids' adventure. Thank goodness Disney rescued this and gave it the care it deserves. While I do have a few minor quibbles about the dub (Shia LaBeouf is the weakest link, and while Alison Lohman is good for the most part, I did detect some parts where she seems a little hoarse -- not enough to drag down her performance though), Patrick Stewart is undeniably good in it as are most of the rest of the cast. (That said, I like Mark Hamill better as Muska than as the Mayor of Pejite in this film, but he still does a fine performance here.) This movie can be seen as sort of a blueprint for Miyazaki's later "Princess Mononoke", in that many of the themes and character archetypes are similar. There are differences, though: the heroine is the lead character, not the male, and the "Lady Eboshi" style character, Kushana, is less redeeming than the latter film -- while she has a tragic past, she's more bitter and unlikeable, but I think that's the point. It's almost hard to tell this one was made in 1984, because frankly, it's still gorgeous to look at -- and occasionally gritty, especially the scenes of the toxic jungle and its monstrous insects. Nonetheless, this is a movie that still holds up well after its initial release in 1984.
Jacob M. Keene
said at 6:05 AM on Fri Aug 8 2014
@JTurner *released in 1984.
DreamMaster08X
said at 5:15 PM on Fri Jan 24 2014
I still have yet to see this movie, but I know there will be one thing that'll make this worth a viewing alone.

Tony Jay's narration.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 5:39 PM on Fri Jan 24 2014
@DreamMaster08X Too bad his narration lasts less than a minute right at the beginning of the movie... at least I think that's how long it lasts.

But, you also get an awesome Patrick Stewart performance and Nausicaa and Lord Yupa are both hardcore BA's. I think you'll enjoy it.
DreamMaster08X
said at 5:55 PM on Fri Jan 24 2014
@PsychicVoiceSpy I figured that'd be the case. But I still say it's worth it.
The Doctor
said at 9:41 AM on Sat Mar 8 2014
@DreamMaster08X Don't forget Patrick Stewart as one of the main characters!
Jacob M. Keene
said at 6:03 AM on Fri Aug 8 2014
@DreamMaster08X Also Jodi Benson, and I'd also like to see it for Tony Jay's opening narration!
Francesco92e