4th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards

US Home Media Release Date: 1991
Japan Theatrical Release Date: 1979
Franchise: Lupin the 3rd
Has two English dubs:
Streamline Pictures (1991)
Manga Entertainment (2000)
SELECT VIEW: [ Characters ]  [ Characters / Voice Actors ]  [ Voice Cast ]  [ Credits ]

The Cast

Latest Comments

HienFan
said at 12:33 AM on Mon Jul 6 2015
 1 Shout Out! [?]
To be honest I prefer the voices in the Streamline dub somewhat
Fulgore2005
said at 9:57 AM on Fri Mar 29 2013
It is quite interesting to know Hayao Miyazaki had worked on a Lupin III film. The Manga dub surprised me more that I thought. I enjoyed hearing the likes of David Hayter (Though I never imagined him voicing Lupin), Dorothy Fahn and Kirk Thornton in the newer dub.
JTurner
said at 7:59 PM on Sun Aug 25 2013
@Fulgore2005 Yeah, I really enjoyed this movie as well. This was actually Miyazaki's first, long before he made Studio Ghibli. There's something about this film that is so old-fashioned and entertaining that I find so darn priceless. Amusingly, I didn't know that Solid Snake did Lupin at first. But hearing the differences between the two roles is rather amusing. The only dub I heard in its entirety was the newer dub, which I liked a lot except for the overdone profanity, which I felt was too unnecessary for a lighthearted film. The Streamline dub I only heard in clips but it didn't sound too bad at all.
Fulgore2005
said at 3:44 AM on Tue Aug 27 2013
@JTurner That's exactly how I felt about the Manga dub. A bit too much profanity, but a great voice cast. Doughary Grant made an excellent Zenigata, Hayter did a great job as the ore serious Lupin, and Bridget Hoffman did a wonderful job of voicing Clarisse d'Cagliostro. (Which, IMO, was one of my favourite damsels-in-distress.)
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 11:58 AM on Mon Jul 6 2015
@JTurner In the newest DVD/Blu-ray release of the film, they apparently created a "family friendly" version of the newer dub where they replaced a lot of the profanity. I haven't heard this for myself, so I'm not sure if the replaced words sound fake, but I thought you might be interested to know anyway.
JTurner
said at 11:06 AM on Tue Jul 7 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy I actually DO own the newer version in question, and I did sample it. To be honest, I'm kinda fifty-fifty. Sometimes the replacement lines work, other times they don't. It's not the fault of anyone involved, though; some of the actors who voiced these characters have long passed (R.I.P. John Snyder). Perhaps because of my familiarity with the Manga version over the years, I've learned to tune out the profanity and just enjoy it. While I applaud the attempt to wash out the profanity, it DOES have its pitfalls.

I also sampled parts of Streamline's previous dub. To be honest, I'm neutral about it. There are some performances that I thought turned out great, but it doesn't strike me as better or worse than the Animaze dub, only different. It's a LOT more talkier than the Animaze one, though. Which I'm kinda neutral about, because honestly, it doesn't bother me either way. I dunno, I have to see more of it to decide, but so far I'm more partial toward the Manga dub since that's the first time I saw this movie.

#1 favorite Movie
for 1 member.

A favorite Movie
for 16 members.
Latest Reason:

"My entry to Lupin. CofC was an excellent Lupin/Miyazaki film. The interesting story and the Manga dub make this a good watch."

- Fulgore2005
FAVE CHARACTER
Clarisse d'Cagliostro
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro characters.
Count Cagliostro