Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro
US Home Media: 1991
Japan Theatrical: 1979

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Franchise: Lupin the 3rd

Popularity: 688th All Time, 907th This Week. *

Has two English dubs:
Streamline Pictures (1991)
Manga Entertainment (2000)

The Cast

Comments

Redeye64
said at 11:27 PM on Thu Feb 25 2016
I find it funny how Kirk Thornton voiced the general in the original Streamline dub but got promoted to the big bad himself in Manga dub. To be honest I do prefer McConnohie since he was more age appropriate (at the time it was first released).
JTurner
said at 4:38 PM on Sun Jan 17 2016
I'm neutral about the Streamline dub; it's not bad, but it's not anything outstanding either.

I do have issues with the Animaze dub for cranking up the profanity too much, but overall I quite enjoyed it.
HienFan
said at 12:33 AM on Mon Jul 6 2015
To be honest I prefer the voices in the Streamline dub somewhat
Fulgore2005
said at 9:57 AM on Fri Mar 29 2013
It is quite interesting to know Hayao Miyazaki had worked on a Lupin III film. The Manga dub surprised me more that I thought. I enjoyed hearing the likes of David Hayter (Though I never imagined him voicing Lupin), Dorothy Fahn and Kirk Thornton in the newer dub.
JTurner
said at 7:59 PM on Sun Aug 25 2013
@Fulgore2005 Yeah, I really enjoyed this movie as well. This was actually Miyazaki's first, long before he made Studio Ghibli. There's something about this film that is so old-fashioned and entertaining that I find so darn priceless. Amusingly, I didn't know that Solid Snake did Lupin at first. But hearing the differences between the two roles is rather amusing. The only dub I heard in its entirety was the newer dub, which I liked a lot except for the overdone profanity, which I felt was too unnecessary for a lighthearted film. The Streamline dub I only heard in clips but it didn't sound too bad at all.
Fulgore2005
said at 3:44 AM on Tue Aug 27 2013
@JTurner That's exactly how I felt about the Manga dub. A bit too much profanity, but a great voice cast. Doughary Grant made an excellent Zenigata, Hayter did a great job as the ore serious Lupin, and Bridget Hoffman did a wonderful job of voicing Clarisse d'Cagliostro. (Which, IMO, was one of my favourite damsels-in-distress.)
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 11:58 AM on Mon Jul 6 2015
@JTurner In the newest DVD/Blu-ray release of the film, they apparently created a "family friendly" version of the newer dub where they replaced a lot of the profanity. I haven't heard this for myself, so I'm not sure if the replaced words sound fake, but I thought you might be interested to know anyway.
JTurner
said at 11:06 AM on Tue Jul 7 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy I actually DO own the newer version in question, and I did sample it. To be honest, I'm kinda fifty-fifty. Sometimes the replacement lines work, other times they don't. It's not the fault of anyone involved, though; some of the actors who voiced these characters have long passed (R.I.P. John Snyder). Perhaps because of my familiarity with the Manga version over the years, I've learned to tune out the profanity and just enjoy it. While I applaud the attempt to wash out the profanity, it DOES have its pitfalls.

I also sampled parts of Streamline's previous dub. To be honest, I'm neutral about it. There are some performances that I thought turned out great, but it doesn't strike me as better or worse than the Animaze dub, only different. It's a LOT more talkier than the Animaze one, though. Which I'm kinda neutral about, because honestly, it doesn't bother me either way. I dunno, I have to see more of it to decide, but so far I'm more partial toward the Manga dub since that's the first time I saw this movie.
Redeye64
said at 11:25 PM on Thu Feb 25 2016
@JTurner John Snyder is still alive.
JTurner
said at 11:49 PM on Thu Feb 25 2016
@Redeye64 He is? I didn't know that. I wonder why they weren't able to bring him back to replace Jigen's lines for the dub edit?
Redeye64
said at 5:38 PM on Fri Mar 25 2016
@JTurner You're probably thinking of Dougary Grant (Zenigata from Manga Entertainment's dub) who did pass away a couple years back. I'll never forget his Tessai of Ninja Scroll...
JTurner
said at 6:19 PM on Fri Mar 25 2016
@Redeye64 Oh I already know about Grant/Seymour (R.I.P.), I was just surprised that John Snyder was still alive. For some reason I thought he had passed on too. Guess I was mistaken, heh. My bad. :(
Clarisse d'Cagliostro
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro characters.
Daisuke Jigen