Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent

Voice Director: Michael Sinterniklaas

US Home Media: Apr 15, 2014
Japan Theatrical: Feb 01, 2013

Animation Studio: Studio 4C

Popularity: 424th All Time, 749th This Week

Franchise: Berserk
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent Cast

Comments

SNaG
said at 3:47 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
Gotta say, I feel the dub of Berserk surpasses the original vocal track. I don't say that lightly, but the dub of these Berserk movies is put together so well by NYAV Post. In general, I find the casting really well done, but I have to single out the three leads for being phenomenal and better than their Japanese counterparts in almost every way.

The Berserk 2016-2017 anime is pretty bad, but if they dub it, I may force myself to watch that again to hear a vocal track like this. The dub is THAT good.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 4:56 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@SNaG I've heard the home video release of Berserk 2016 actually has fixed some of the problems, though mostly by replacing some of the CGI with traditional animation.

I haven't seen it, but I would totally watch the series just for Marc Diraison.
SNaG
said at 5:24 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@Nightmare Crusher Yeah, I saw some of those, they looked kinda better, but the problems with the Berserk TV series are beyond animation.

To put it in a nutshell, it's mostly issues of pacing and tone; it kinda blazes through the Black Swordsman arc to get to the Tower of Conviction arc ASAP, which hurts it. The tonal thing is a huger problem that's present in the lighting, coloring, and music - it seems focused on making Berserk an edgy action show about a guy with a big sword. Which is kinda missing the point.

Another thing that was an issue for me was the blandness of the voiceover in Japanese, with the exception of Rikiya Koyama as Mozgus (absolutely excellent). The dub will definitely fix that, as long as Crunchyroll (who licensed the dub) hopefully gets NYAV Post to do it.

I would also watch the series again for Marc Diraison. He does a phenomenal Guts.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 5:33 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@SNaG Eh, I can understand wanting to get past Black Swordsman. It's kind of the weird, awkward story arc where Miura was still figuring out what he was actually doing with the manga. The tonal issues sound like a much worse problem.
SNaG
said at 5:42 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@Nightmare Crusher That's true, though the way the anime handled it made the Behelit very confusing in my mind.

Definitely the tonal issues were the biggest problem. Especially the music. Guts has this weird Celtic techno theme as his theme and it drives me insane.

Nightmare Crusher
said at 5:45 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@SNaG Oh that is weird sounding. It's like someone took Forces and tried to make a techno folk song out of it.
SNaG
said at 6:10 PM on Sat Nov 19 2016
@Nightmare Crusher Basically. It's a shame that Berserk is treated so poorly by the production committee. First we get a good anime that ends at the worst point, then we get a set of decent movies redoing that arc, and then we get a... not very good CGI series (with awful music, seriously that music just made me laugh).
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 12:15 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@SNaG I highly, HIGHLY disagree with you on Hai Yo. It is by far my favorite thing from Berserk 2016 (and most Berserk fans agree), and one of my favorite Susumu Hirasawa tracks. It's pretty much in line with the rest of the tracks he's done for the franchise, and his music is far more distinct and fitting for Berserk than Shiro Saigasu's music (love him as a composer, but when it comes to Berserk, there's no one like Hirasawa).

The only thing that bothered me was how they overused the hell out of it, and it was (IIRC) the only piece of his music they used. Even with the really camera angles and cheap CGI, that music got me the closest to truly enjoying it when it came on.

Other than that, I agree with you. It was a really bad adaption, though I did find it somewhat entertaining once my inital irritation with it died down.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 12:19 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@PsychicVoiceSpy *really bad camera angles
SNaG
said at 3:23 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@PsychicVoiceSpy I'm glad you disagree, I'm always open to new perspective. Didn't do much forum browsing to talk about the new Berserk, only saw the Crunchyroll comments and talked with my friends who also were not fans, so I admit I may be in a bubble.

Hai Yo aside (though the overuse you mentioned may have increased my irritation), can you mention other tracks from the 2016 series that caught your interest? There were a couple fine tracks but many tracks I felt were matching with the tonally inconsistent parts and thus weren't appropriate for Berserk as a whole.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 4:11 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@SNaG To be honest, the only other piece of music I can really clearly remember is Blood and Guts. That, and the grating violin piece (can't be bothered to find out what it's called) that kept playing in scenes that were supposed to be tense but weren't full on action.

I like Blood and Guts on its own, but I think that almost all of the music in the 2016 was either poorly utilized or forgettable. There might be a few other exceptions, but I can't remember the music in much detail.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 11:48 PM on Fri Nov 25 2016
@SNaG I often hear praise for the Berserk dub from people who dont typicly enjoy dubs, even ones with a decent budget like Haruhi, Wolf's Rain, Golgo 13 Queen Bee, Tiger & Bunny, Naruto, Bleach, Nana, etc., & I've come to the conclusion that, like Cowboy Bebop & Metal Gear, it's just a show that, so heavily influenced by Hollywood live-action film (& in Berserk's case, the likes of Tolkien & such Western fantasy), it's just *suited* to English, as if the only thing limiting the language was market & $.

Talking about this with JinzoningenMule/BeerStix, several Japanese directors support dubs of their stuff, as for some anime, non-Japanese languages may actually be their "head canon" for their show (I think Tomino of Gundam cares about dubs for this reason), but market reception isnt there from a company perspective, & obviously only Japanese audiences/networks seem to be very receptive to it..so Japanese it is.

(On the other hand, while Japan has more dubs, ironically, there are sub purists, & Satoshi Kon was opposed to the idea of his works getting dubbed - he still didnt have the influence to change the market, either way)

But the *feel* of Berserk itself is Western, & acting quality aside, most people gravitate to the overall vibe rather than the actual production quality. As with FMA, while I don't believe that the *old* dub is that good, the latter dubs are definitely assuredly so. Kinda like the progression of DBZ Kai's dub, except Berserk's old dub was at least representative of the show, & it was head & shoulders above that dub.
SNaG
said at 11:46 AM on Sun Nov 27 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed Just a quick little tidbit since you mentioned Kon - Miyazaki is the other end of the spectrum, feeling dubs widen the audience (which is generally true for animation IMO).

You also hit the nail on the head with the "feel" being Western; this typically widens the audience further amongst Westerners and makes a dub feel more appropriate. Of course, this and FMA benefit from being, frankly, great dubs. Even the original Berserk dub was pretty great, and while it did improve in the movies, the jump isn't as start as Kai IMO.

One thing that I feel sets Berserk apart is that I find its Japanese VO fairly lacklustre. It's fine, but nothing exceptional (except maybe for Rikiya Koyama as Mozgus in the new series). The English VO is pretty great, so there's a large quality differential. You can't say that about FMA Brotherhood since both dub and sub are really stellar.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 12:32 PM on Sun Nov 27 2016
@SNaG Bebop & FMA's dub's production values arent anything special. Slayers's dub is just as good as Berserk's, going by that standard (altho Slayers was done manually, pre-2001), & arguably Wolf's Rain & Final Fantasy (several of them) have bigger (in the former's case) budget, & (in latter case) are more Japanese-accurate (which can help) than dubs of Bebop & MGS.

Steve Blum sounds so green to me as Spike, honestly. I feel similarly about Hayter in MGS1's dub FWIH. (He is meaningful due 2 introducing West to Snake, however). Only a few episodes of that, but his work as Roger Smith, Laughing Man, Mugen, Zabuza, & anime Wolverine (not counting prelay stuff) is so, so much better. Travis Willingham as Mustang in FMA also suffers from this issue. Gotta rewatch FMA some other time, but IIRC Colleen Clinkenbeard was also new, as were many of the others.

I have another comment on directors on dubs, for another page. But NCZ mentioned that Kojima likes dubs - he didnt direct any himself, but he likes them as-is. Hideki Kamiya straight-up outsources his games to be recorded in English, & I wonder how "I must this watch this hearing the original script" fans feel about that. As well as Resident Evil (which has Japanese dubs), & Silent Hill.
BlueScarabGuy
said at 10:24 PM on Sat Aug 27 2016
Can we just admit that it was once again another spark of perfect casting to get Jamieson Price as Skull Knight? I couldn't imagine anyone else in that role.

But yeah, this dub is absolutely stellar.
Omar_Lopez
said at 3:22 AM on Mon Dec 21 2015
It's happening! New Berserk anime in 2016 Black Swordsman Arc! Hopefully a TV series but I don't mind more movies. Historic moment for an almost 30 year old manga series.
akersaotome
said at 8:07 PM on Wed Apr 30 2014
Incredibly brutal, especially at the latter portion of the film. Mark Diraison was brilliant as Guts, from beginning to the end. Kevin T Collins as Griffith, even if he had no lip flaps to match he was still excellent. My biggest applause goes to Carrie Keranen as Casca. The production could have easily had the Japanese audio for the particular scenes, but Keranen sounded she actually did voice act those scenes; where many actors/actresses would have not done it.

Also I like how Studio 4°C portrayed the eclipse, its world and the various creatures to show an example of hell itself.

I welcome either a new series or new movies showing the story after the Golden age arc.
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 5:39 PM on Wed Sep 25 2013
Jon Avner confirmed that he will be reprising his role as Void in Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:13 PM on Sun Oct 13 2013
@IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
Thanks for linking a source. Credit now added.
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016