Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 12-16-2012   #1
Blair

Default 10 Awesome Games With Terrible Voice Acting

I found this amusing:

10 Awesome Games With Terrible Voice Acting @ whatculture.com

10. Heavy Rain
9. Baten Kaitos
8. Deus Ex
7. Sonic Adventure
6. Shenmue
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
4. Castle Shikigami 2
3. Time Crisis
2. Resident Evil
1. House of the Dead 2

The article contains voice clips from the games.

Of the clips available, I think that Castlevania is the second worst, but I wholeheartedly agree with #1.
Old 02-02-2013   #2
Trami0501

Default Re: 10 Awesome Games With Terrible Voice Acting

Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Trami0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #3
DVitamin

...annnd thank you for now setting the bar for really bad VA in gaming history. This really puts things in perspective that gaming VA has gotten better... much better. Still not where I'd like it but it can't be perfect. I'm actually surprised that Heavy Rain was that bad. Some of the parts weren't too bad but the whole "JASON" bit was pretty awful. For me it wasn't that he didn't have enough emotion, but more that it seemed to not have the right delivery - like it was a bit off. It didn't sound natural. Just sounded like he was screaming his name instead of a frantic father looking for his son (if that's what I think it was). Like he was shouting it from the script.

Baten Kaitos - This isn't too surprising, seeing that the game is JP produced and probably moved to a studio that probably didn't take it too seriously. It just makes it all the more clearer (ironically) when you hear the quality of the voices as the person who posted the article states - their choice of recording equipment/environment was poor. Why? I wish I knew. The voice acting was, sub-par with the woman in the first few minutes kinda sounding like she was getting into the role, but then somehow fails with the delivery of the next set of lines. She's evil, we get that but then she starts sounding slow. Like she's not terribly sure of her lines. The next minute sitting through it seemed to meet up with that - too much of one thing in a place where it doesn't need to be (too much emotion in one line I think). I have to agree with the person writing the article again, to quote - "the characters do not speak their lines a way that even begins to approach natural, instead adopting a bizarrely affected cadence with strange, misplaced dramatic pauses all over the place.".

This seems to happen a lot in JP to ENG games...Sonic the Hedgehog, Shenmue, Time Crisis and Castlevania - Symphony of the Night are just more examples of that. Though in Shenmue and Sonic, I'd have to say the voice acting quality was spotty. Castlevania was a classic and just makes you laugh at how ridiculous the lines are just thrown around which sits right there with Resident Evil in my opinion. Castle Shikigami was just...horrible but the bar was truly set when I heard number 1. How could something like that even be allowed? Was he getting paid to voice that?? Yikes...

Deus Ex Machina - Slightly surprising and probably my first English produced video game exposure that has poor voice acting...though I feel like I've heard just as bad somewhere. Not quite sure.

Great list and thank you for sharing!
DVitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #4
NCZ
Administrator

All of these are still infinitely better than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
Old 02-18-2013   #5
DVitamin

HOLY SHITE.......

I.. I don't really know what to say but these are laughably bad! I really can't believe it.

...how...but...there's no reason to try and analyze this. It's just bad. Thank you sir, new bar has been set.
Old 02-18-2013   #6
Blair

The difference between "acting" and just reading from a script.

In one respect, for what you posted NCZ, since the words are onscreen already, I could understand it not needing enough emotion for the director to even care.

In all cases, though, there's the possibilities of, "Can someone go gram Bob in the mail room. We needed a guy to say these lines who's already on payroll." and/or they do a one-time read, say the lines, and leave.
Old 02-18-2013   #7
DVitamin

Ok, that makes sense. I think my problem with that however is that that situation should be more rare than often.

Even if the words are already on the screen, shouldn't the director care if there is going to be voice behind those words. Otherwise, why waste resources? Puzzling...

One JP-->ENG game that impressed me recently was Nighty-Nine Nights 2. It was pretty decent and I actually preferred some of the acting over the JP version - which is RARE for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn6XuUwrfTo

As an example of what I'm talking about. Though I know this is contrary to the title of the thread.
Old 02-20-2013   #8
Wolfie

Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfie

Oh jeez, listening to those physically hurt me. Deus Ex in particular made me cringe... all those poor, butchered accents!

Last edited by Wolfie; 02-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote