Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > BTVA Site Features > Top Ten Lists

Top Ten Lists Discuss the Top Ten Lists from the site or post your own.

Old 02-27-2012   #31
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo
Default Re: Official Top 10 List Of Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
Ooo, that'd be a great one. Mufasa's death would definitely be on my list. Though I've never seen all of Bambi, I'd imagine Bambi's mom's death would be there too. I'm sure a lot of anime could make the list.
depends if we are talking about the best 'vocal' performances in a death scene or just the most impactful death scenes.
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #32
NCZ
Administrator

I was thinking just sad death scenes in general, since there's one REALLY good one (I'd even say it's #1) from a game with no voice acting.
Old 02-27-2012   #33
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
I was thinking just sad death scenes in general, since there's one REALLY good one (I'd even say it's #1) from a game with no voice acting.
Personally I have no problem with that... I was just told before that all of our Top Ten lists had to be voice acting related is all. So I was just trying to clarify what are 'rules' are for these
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #34
Foxwolf
Administrator

I think it makes sense if our lists are voice acting related. However, I just looked at our list and we do have the theme songs one. Maybe we can expand to make our lists voice acting and/or animation/game related.

Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2012   #35
cardboardwalk

If I may put in my two cents on this subject, I think it would be alright to have top 10's on those examples you gave, BUT if there is a variety it starts to lose the main focus. The only way I could see this working is if all these top 10 groups ( voice, animation, songs) have a corresponding top ten list for each as opposed to one being released and missing some of the demographic. To explain ( not to insult your intelligence, just to clarify on my stance) instead of having a top ten list on one of the random categories released on one day, there would be a top ten list released for each categorie on the same day. And there are 3 people each wanting a top 10 on subject A,B, or C. So a top 10 for subject A, one for subject B, and a top ten for subject C. But not for D. Nobody likes him... This would keep everyone happy as theres a corresponding list. So do you guys think that would work, or do you think its too time consuming and theoretical?
cardboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #36
NCZ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
I think it makes sense if our lists are voice acting related. However, I just looked at our list and we do have the theme songs one. Maybe we can expand to make our lists voice acting and/or animation/game related.

Thoughts?
As long as it's related to the categories on our site, and if the entries for things without voice acting are part of franchises that do incorporate it elsewhere (in my case, the character has been voiced in other appearances), I don't think it's too bad.
Old 03-23-2012   #37
NCZ
Administrator

New idea: Top 10 Most Mysterious Voice Actors. VAs who are well-known and have done good work or have had prominent roles, but we know almost nothing about them. Not just VAs where we don't know the names, but some VAs where we don't know anything beyond their names. I've actually got some good ideas for this one, so unlike the other ideas that have popped into my head (cough) this one might end up happening.

Here's what I've got so far:
The entire cast of a few things (so far I can name Street Fighter II, Transformers Headmasters, X-Men Arcade, the Big Green DBZ dubs. I won't include ALL of those in the list.)
Justin's VA (Grandia)
Nicole Karrer (Tear from Tales of the Abyss)
The original voice of Chad (Bleach)
Mimi Woods (Major Kusanagi from the Ghost in the Shell movie)
Elara Distler (Tikal from Sonic Adventure)
Oliver Quinn (Genesis from Crisis Core)
Suzetta Minet (EVA from Metal Gear Solid 3)
Phillip Bartlett (Mewtwo from the first Pokemon movie)
Mark Gatha (Domon Kasshu from G Gundam, Mega Man X)

That's already almost enough to make a full list. Any input? Any notable ones I forgot?

Last edited by NCZ; 03-23-2012 at 07:21 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #38
Jackson_H
Administrator

I don't know... sorry to be a downer.

Seems to have a lot of "holes" that make it a bit difficult to be a legitimate list if that makes any sense

e.g. North Americans laugh their butts off at the "Big Green" dub of DBZ but there obviously was an audience it was shown to originally.

It's like saying all Animax dubs are crap yet believe it or not there's A LOT of people on the other side of the world who watch them and like them

Anyways back to the "Big Green" dub. Nobody knows the names of the VAs who worked on it. Seems a bit sloppy to just have a Top 10 list with "Unknown VA of this character", "Unknown VA voiced this character".

Also some of the suggestions on your list could use some better research if it was possible

e.g. Are we 100% sure Mimi Woods isn't an alias? Phillip Barlett wasn't an alias of a theatre actor in New York?

Fans discuss the "original voice" of Chad in Bleach but honestly I don't know if this is even true. Being non-union we'll probably never know unless the voice director (Wendee Lee and others) talk about the history of the show someday in the distant future years after it has finished.

I like the idea of having a Top 10 list for well known characters voiced by VAs with brief/limited voice acting careers, but I personally want reliable info and facts. Otherwise I'd have a hard time thinking the list was any good.
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #39
NCZ
Administrator

Hmm, you raise some interesting points here.

I would address the question of whether or not some VAs are aliases, yes. The thing that's mysterious there is that we know it's probably an alias, but we don't know who it's for. Obviously, such an entry would be kept to a minimum (maybe a spot for only one "possible alias"?) As for Chad I realize that one could've been kind of iffy, but I thought it'd be interesting since I heard there was a lot of debate over the identity of the original voice actor, if there even was an "original". The entry would've been mainly discussing that.

Of course, bear in mind that not all of those would be featured on the list. I was really just throwing out ideas.

Anyway, thanks for the input!
Old 05-12-2012   #40
cardboardwalk

How about the top 10 improved upon roles after revisiting them? ( Yeah I know a mouth full)

A lot of roles were improved on later like Frank Welkers Megatron in Transformers Prime and Chris Sabats Piccolo in Dragon Ball Kai.

What do you think?
cardboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote