Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > BTVA Site Features > Top Ten Lists

Top Ten Lists Discuss the Top Ten Lists from the site or post your own.

Old 10-23-2012   #1
RySenkari

Default Top 10 Female Voice Performances Since 2000

The nearly 13 years of this millennium have already seen a large number of memorable voice-over performances, and we may indeed be in a new golden age of voice acting. This list salutes the ladies who have given the best voice acting performances of the new millennium.

10. Everypony in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

One of the best, funniest cartoons in years, and while I labored to find a performance I could select for this slot, I couldn't pick just one. Tara Strong, Andrea Libman, Tabitha St. Germain, Ashleigh Ball, among many others, anyone who voiced a pony on the show is worthy of this spot.

9. Kath Soucie as Nerissa in W.I.T.C.H.

In a show saturated with great female voice acting (Kelly Stables, Candi Milo, and Miss Kittie were all considered for a spot on the list), it's veteran voice actress Kath Soucie who plays against type and proves she still has it. She made Nerissa one of my favorite villains of all time with her sultry, malicious performance, which had a surprising amount of emotion behind it. Never could I have imagined that the voice behind Phil and Lil could put up one of the scariest, meanest villain performances in recent memory, but Kath Soucie stepped up.

8. Andrea Baker as Clover in Totally Spies

Amongst a talented cast, Andrea Baker stood out as the blonde spy girl Clover. Clover initially started out as your average spoiled valley girl, but Baker's performance transformed Clover into something more. She was sweet, clever, intelligent, determined, and probably the best character on the whole show. This might be the best valley girl performance of all time, it's that special. I'm glad Totally Spies is getting a sixth season, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Clover just yet.

7. Tara Strong as Raven in Teen Titans

Tara's told the story of how she booked this part many a time, she had given one audition for Raven but then got a sudden rush of inspiration and asked to audition again, using a raspy, deadpan voice to portray the spooky heroine. The rest, as they say, is history. Tara's Raven was one of the best performances of her career and in my opinion the best performance in the show, with Tara given the heroine many hidden depths and emotional layers behind her seemingly emotionless exterior. A masterful performance from a true pro.

6. Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in Tangled

Taking her place among greats such as Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Susan Egan, Mandy Moore provided the speaking and singing voice of the sheltered, adventurous Disney princess, making Rapunzel one of my favorite characters of all time. Her emotional strength in the role, conveying joy, fear, and despair in the various situations Rapunzel faced made the character instantly lovable, and Mandy's comic timing was second to perhaps only Susan Egan among Disney females. Mandy's come a long way from her bubblegum pop roots.

5. Grey Delisle as Daphne in Scooby-Doo

The character of Daphne Blake has undergone a serious transformation since her earliest roots as a danger-prone damsel in distress. Though Sarah Michelle Gellar originated the "tough Daphne" seen in the live action films, it seemed rather force there and Gellar's acting didn't provide a natural transition between the classic Daphne and the new Daphne. Grey Delisle, who took over for Mary Kay Bergman after her tragic suicide, breathed new life into Daphne and made her a complex, fully fleshed-out character that has become perhaps the best part of the new Scooby Doo films and cartoons. Leave it to Grey to make a classic seem brand new.

4. Jennifer Hale as Commander Shepard in Mass Effect

Though Mark Meer does an excellent job in his own right as the male version of Commander Shepard, it's Jennifer Hale's FemShep that has become the iconic voice of the character, launching her into the forefront of pop culture itself after an already successful voiceover career. Hale's performance gives Shepard a ton of depth and makes her more than just the standard video game "tough chick", with emotional vulnerabilities beneath the surface. Hale's performance is adaptable to a variety of situations within the game, making her the perfect voice for the player's avatar as the brave commander.

3. Ashley Tisdale as Candace Flynn in Phineas and Ferb

Another show-stealing star amongst a very talented cast, Ashley Tisdale's Candace is one of the funniest performances in the history of animation. She's perfect as the voice of a neurotic teenage girl seeking to bust her brothers, and when she's called upon to sing for the role (which is quite often), she does an excellent job with that as well. Ashley steals pretty much every scene she's in, just the funny noises and shrieks she's capable of making are hilarious in and of themselves, and she's more than capable of giving Candace a sweet, subdued side during quieter scenes. We're all left wishing Ashley Tisdale would do more voice-over work, her work as Candace is one of the best one-hit wonders in voice acting history.

2. Ellen McLain as Glados in Portal

Ellen McLain's work as Glados is both hilarious and terrifying. Borrowing from the legendary HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, McLain gives Glados a rather deadpan, monotone voice at first, calmly leading you through the test chambers, but as the crap hits the fan and Glados becomes more and more unhinged, McLain's performance takes on a life of its own, she throws a huge amount of emotion into the role while continuing to toss out brilliantly funny one-liners and threats in the player's direction. In Portal 2, McLain expands on her original performance as Glados encounters situations beyond her control, going through a very wide range of emotions as the game hits its brilliant climax. Glados is known as one of the greatest characters in video game history, and McLain is a big reason why.

1. Grey Delisle as Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender

Could anyone else have created such a controversial, beloved, despised character as Princess Azula? Grey of course started out giving a cold, villainous performance during season 2, but as season 3 started and Azula's role in the series became more complex, Grey dug very deep within her own soul and gave Azula depths that few other villains can boast. She made Azula vulnerable, subtly adding cracks to her psyche throughout the season until the final few episodes when we saw Azula's heartrending breakdown, made all the more impactful by Grey's brilliant performance. Very few actresses could have taken such a wicked villain and made her as sympathetic as Grey did, splitting the fanbase into three camps (the "Azula should be redeemed", the "HANG THAT WITCH", and the netural camp) and creating a controversy that persists to this day. Grey's performance is not only one of the best of the last decade, but one of the best of all time and the best in her incredible career.

-

Well, that's my list. Feel free to comment and add your own input! I might do a male list sometime later but not for a while if I do.
RySenkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #2
Samina1622

Smile Re: Top 10 Female Voice Performances Since 2000

These are in no particular order, just a list of great performances.

1. Ali Hillis as Lightning Farron in Final Fantasy XIII
2. Jennifer Hale as Commander Sheppard in Mass Effect
3. Hedy Burress as Yuna in Final Fantasy X/X-2
4. Mandy Moore as Aerith in Kingdom Hearts
5. Ali Hillis (Yes, again ) as Liara in Mass Effect
6. Claudia Black as Morrigan in Dragon Age
7. Colleen Clinkenbeard as Erza in Fairy Tail
8. Tara Strong as Rikku in Final Fantasy X/X-2
9. Alyson Stoner as Xion in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
10. Ellen McLain as Glados in Portal

I'm sure there are tons more that I c an't think of, though I find that personally I tend to gravitate more strongly to male voices...
C'est la vie
Samina1622 is offline   Reply With Quote