Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Idea Input

Idea Input Share reactions on the latest BTVA Features or give us ideas on what you would like to see.

Old 05-04-2012   #1
pokemastanumba1

Question Managing our comments

I've noticed that there's a new system in which you can get notified if someone replies to a comment you made, but there's a couple of major things that I'm wondering why they're not implented:
  • different ways of formatting our comments (bold, italics, different colors, etc.)
  • the ability to edit/delete our own comments

Any mods/admins who are willing to discuss this?
Old 05-04-2012   #2
ajhz

Default Re: Managing our comments

I really would like to have this as well. I tried asking this before but it didn't work

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ead.php?t=2461 if this doesn't work maybe we could have a poll on the site so people can vote on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

ajhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #3
Foxwolf
Administrator

We have no plans to introduce formatting into comments. Text based is sufficient to convey whatever your opinion is. If you really feel like you need formatting options, then the forums would be the place to do it.

The issue with editing comments is if someone goes back to edit a comment, it might change the meaning of any threaded comment discussions. I understand people make spelling mistakes or want add something extra, but this is the Internet, no one is expecting comments to be A-grade English grammar and spelling.

As for deleting, the only place we'll be introducing that is on member's Profile pages, allowing them to delete Visitor Comments. And deleting has the same issues as editing. Deleting a comment might logically destroy and comment thread.
Old 05-04-2012   #4
pokemastanumba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
The issue with editing comments is if someone goes back to edit a comment, it might change the meaning of any threaded comment discussions. I understand people make spelling mistakes or want to add something extra, but this is the Internet, no one is expecting comments to be A-grade English grammar and spelling.

As for deleting, the only place we'll be introducing that is on member's Profile pages, allowing them to delete Visitor Comments. And deleting has the same issues as editing. Deleting a comment might logically destroy a comment thread.
I can definitely understand the issue with formatting, but I'm not really getting what you're saying about simply editing/deleting. Do you mean that if someone replied to a comment, but then the original comment was edited, the reply(ies) wouldn't make as much sense anymore?

I suppose it can be a bit of a concern, but in that case, the comment and its reply(ies) should be deleted anyway.
Old 05-05-2012   #5
Foxwolf
Administrator

My question would be, why would you want to edit your comment outside of spelling errors? You can simply make another comment.

As for deleting. If you want to delete a comment it means you shouldn't have submitted it in the first place. My solution. Think about what you post and make sure you want to post it
Old 05-07-2012   #6
pokemastanumba1

For voice compares, a member(s)'s may have a change of opinion(s), particularly when a clip(s) is newly added or updated. Simply editing/deleting a previous comment is much more efficient than making new ones in several ways, the most important of which is preventing clutter. After all, look at the Sonic and Ash Ketchum VCs; that page takes way too long to load (even longer than compares which have at least twice as many clips) merely because of all the comments.
Old 05-07-2012   #7
Foxwolf
Administrator

Well that's a separate issue regarding pages with loads of comments. Paging the comments is the solution but I've simply not had the time or priority to implement it.

As for changes of opinion, I think it's progressive to see people's opinions change over time. If I changed my mind it would be interesting for me to go back and read my old comments as to why I picked someone over someone else.
Old 05-07-2012   #8
pokemastanumba1

Well yes, it's certainly one positive way to look at it, but still. With VCs, there are multiple cases in which a lot of votes flock towards a new addition/update, in which case any change of opinion can't be premeditated.
Old 05-07-2012   #9
Foxwolf
Administrator

Exactly. I find that the most intriguing to see how often people switch their votes when a new comparison is added against how dedicated they are to their current vote.