Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips

Voice Acting Tips A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas or share audition stories.

Old 12-29-2011   #1
cardboardwalk

Default Dubbing Advice

Now we all (hopefully) know that dubbing is a big part of voice acting. But as I've been trying it by muting the tv and placing subtitles on, I've been struggling a bit. I worry about the timing of the mouth flaps and I am unable to emote in a realistic way. So I am here asking for any help I can. I don't care if you have to be mean and straightforward, as long as it helps just one bit I will be grateful. I am sorry if I am making this a personal confession of some sort, but I don't know how else to ask. If you go through the same trouble or if you've overcame them then let me and others know how to do it. Anything you can offer would be appreciated.
cardboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #2
PurpleWarrior13

Send a message via Skype™ to PurpleWarrior13
Default Re: Dubbing Advice

I've done fan dubbing before. It just takes a little practice and a little getting used to. It helps not to worry about it too much. If you just read the line to match the character's expression in the time from the first flap to the last flap (assuming they're all very close together, and that the script matches the lip flaps), you should be fine. If you're trying very hard to perfectly match every little mouth motion, your performance could come out sounding forced. The only exception could be when emphasis is placed on the lips or mouth. Then you might want to get it as close as possible, while sounding as natural as possible. Try to mimic the character's facial expressions and movement. Translate what they're doing on screen to how you deliver your lines. This is easier for animation, though some of this can also be used for live-action dubbing (which is naturally much more difficult for obvious reasons).
PurpleWarrior13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #3
cardboardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
I've done fan dubbing before. It just takes a little practice and a little getting used to. It helps not to worry about it too much. If you just read the line to match the character's expression in the time from the first flap to the last flap (assuming they're all very close together, and that the script matches the lip flaps), you should be fine. If you're trying very hard to perfectly match every little mouth motion, your performance could come out sounding forced. The only exception could be when emphasis is placed on the lips or mouth. Then you might want to get it as close as possible, while sounding as natural as possible. Try to mimic the character's facial expressions and movement. Translate what they're doing on screen to how you deliver your lines. This is easier for animation, though some of this can also be used for live-action dubbing (which is naturally much more difficult for obvious reasons).
Alright, I will try matching facial expressions. It sounds like that might help a bit. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-30-2011   #4
Azure

Send a message via MSN to Azure

I made a tutorial on this before, it's mainly practice though so good luck!
Link to the tutorial: http://my.voiceacting.co.uk/site/201...-recording-you

VACU // Personal Blog
Amateur voice actor's listings, tutorials and community // My personal stuff
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #5
cardboardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I made a tutorial on this before, it's mainly practice though so good luck!
Link to the tutorial: http://my.voiceacting.co.uk/site/201...-recording-you
Thank you very much! I will check this out as soon as possible!
Old 04-15-2012   #6
Hendercrazy

I haven't tried to do any dubbing as of yet... but I have thought about the art of it quite a bit! To me... it all sounds so extremely difficult! O_O I'd probably try it naturally first (like how you're trying it). However, if it didn't go so well after a ton of tries... I'd probably take a short-cut route and tediously edit the lines to fit.
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #7
cardboardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
I haven't tried to do any dubbing as of yet... but I have thought about the art of it quite a bit! To me... it all sounds so extremely difficult! O_O I'd probably try it naturally first (like how you're trying it). However, if it didn't go so well after a ton of tries... I'd probably take a short-cut route and tediously edit the lines to fit.
lol I'm actually talking about doing real dubbing, not fan projects XD But you should try it! I watched some animes in subs so sometimes when bored I turn the volume and trying making the lines fit with the mouths. It apparently helps to have musical backgrounds and I think by following the beats in this following vid could help you get into the kind of rhythm thats required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAy_Yy1skU

And while its not exactly preparing for dubbing, it helps to become familiar with a given rhythm that has to be followed when speaking.

Anyway I hope this helps at least a little bit!
Old 04-16-2012   #8
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardwalk View Post
lol I'm actually talking about doing real dubbing, not fan projects XD
It really doesnt matter if its official work or fan work, the techniques would be the same
OptimusSolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #9
cardboardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusSolo View Post
It really doesnt matter if its official work or fan work, the techniques would be the same
Oops! Sorry my bad. I should have emphasized the fact that I was referring to the editing of clips to make it match. Unless they do that in the business which would be interesting news to hear.
Old 04-16-2012   #10
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardwalk View Post
Oops! Sorry my bad. I should have emphasized the fact that I was referring to the editing of clips to make it match. Unless they do that in the business which would be interesting news to hear.
Oh, ok, that makes more sense
OptimusSolo is online now   Reply With Quote