Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Act Your Voice Out - BTVA's Voice Acting Contest > Contest Discussion

Contest Discussion Talk about the contest, how the contestants are performing and any feedback here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011   #11
SCP21

Send a message via ICQ to SCP21 Send a message via AIM to SCP21 Send a message via Yahoo to SCP21 Send a message via Skype™ to SCP21
Default Re: SCP21's Feedback - Auditions

Well one the other judges will comment in the main thread and two I didn't vote based on audio quality. If I did a few would never have made it passed me listening. Therefor if that's all you can afford that's fine but a better quality is usually appreciated as it can be distracting. Yours wasn't the worst I've heard from a built in mic. Webcam mics tend to be worse but it's more distant sounding than it should be. The goal is to sound crystal clear. But I too understand money constraint so don't worry about it until you can afford a cheap 12-35 dollar desktop USB mic.

Overall it should be fine.

Last edited by SCP21; 09-20-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2011   #12
kammie

I used my digital voice recorder since it is already in MP3 format when I transfer it to a computer. I am just not sure if it is clear enough.
Old 09-20-2011   #13
SCP21

Send a message via ICQ to SCP21 Send a message via AIM to SCP21 Send a message via Yahoo to SCP21 Send a message via Skype™ to SCP21

For a digital voice recorder it was fine. I can tell it's not a USB Mic but that's due to having gone from a cheap mic to an expensive one. I can hear slight feedback but it's not loud enough to be distracting for the vocals.

Last edited by SCP21; 09-20-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2011   #14
KazkiSendo

Do you have any sugestions on a character or characters to try out that can fit my range?
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazkiSendo View Post
Do you have any sugestions on a character or characters to try out that can fit my range?
It isn't so much which characters you copy, it's how you copy them....if that make sense? Don't worry so much about finding characters that you sound like. Just find some voices you like, and start developing your own sort of characters. Although aboooout 1/3 of my audition was characters I really like impersonating, the other 2/3 or so was just random stuff I made up. Finding characters you can mimic is good to help you find your range, but try not to rely on it...the best voice is yours!

Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-20-2011   #16
Foxwolf
Administrator

To follow on with what Stingervoice has said, you have a greater chance of landing a voice acting gig if you can create your own characters. Imitating existing characters is great and helps you stretch your voice to create different voices. Think about it, how many available jobs out there require you to do a Mickey Mouse, or a Spongebob? Little to none. But there are a ton of spots open for new characters.

Another tip I remember is if you're able to imitate charaters really well, try to combine voices, or alter them slightly so they sound different enough to become another character.

Last edited by Foxwolf; 09-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2011   #17
SCP21

Combining and altering voices is actually how I discovered to imitate some other characters. So it's sometimes better to put your own twist on them. Give Batman TAS and The Batman for example.

Mark Hamill had a stellar Joker. In The Batman, Kevin Michael Richardson made his own version basing it off of Hamill's so it had similar vibes but was his own.

I would say moreso find your own niche in there. Sounding like some is fun as well but just playing with ones you love helps develop some of these various skills and you realize it more through doing.

I will also take another gander at them later and see if I can find some to toy with though.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
Old 09-20-2011   #18
KazkiSendo

Thank you for the feed back SCP21 next time I will try to make it longer and show off what I can do I will also try a befor battle conversation between an evil character and a hero character to see which fits my talents best. Hope to improve and show you what I can realy do next time n_n .
Old 09-20-2011   #19
SCP21

Hey it's a learning process and we're not perfect either. I like to think I do fairly well too. But I do some exact and others I do leaves something to be desired.

I would suggest playing with what you learn in this, the Voice Acting Tips area and the Voice This! section of the site. It is a fun way to get feedback and try different characters.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
Old 09-20-2011   #20
Foxwolf
Administrator

And we'll be building out new sections to practice with your voice acting. We'll have a section to see who can do the best Imitation of a character and a section to practice Dubbing a scene, trying to lip synch and all.
Closed Thread