Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 03-15-2011   #1
Solink

Default Salutations

Hello, fellow voice acting fans! I stumbled upon this site some years back, and I absolutely love it. I just recently discovered the forum here and would imagine there would be much to discuss, help out and get to know many of you fine folk.

I'm studying acting and writing majors in university next year and hope to become a VAer myself one day. Any way to help me get started aside from the typical Youtube slums?
Solink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #2
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Re: Salutations

Nice to have your on our forums Solink. Apart from knowing people in the business and/or living in a city that is known for recording voice overs, the only advice I can give (which I was told by Tony Oliver during a workshop) is that you need to be a fantastic actor. Not just a good or decent actor, but a great one. Doing a million different voices and having no acting talent will get you nowhere. One good voice with top notch acting will take you far. So take acting classes as often as you can until you start landing jobs. Even then the advice is to keep taking acting classes.
Old 03-16-2011   #3
Solink

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to take heed to your advice and continue studying on becoming an actor. Still, is there a way I can allow my potential to shine here? I heard of some fandubbing projects being involved here.

Also, where can I look to see what I can contribute to the database? I have a vast knowledge on VAers and animation trivia, so perhaps I can be of great assistance.
Old 03-18-2011   #4
rhenz

Send a message via Skype™ to rhenz
Default Groundhog Day

Hi,

I've been voicing commercials, movies, and video in Chicago since 1974; you might have heard me as DJ#1 in Groundhog Day ("Rise and shine, campers!")
or as the success guru in John C. Reilly's WalkManŽ in "The Promotion" ("Richard Wellner is totally Number One.")

I also provided the whistle to the end of some Kraft commercials ("K-R-A-F-T") many years ago.

I would welcome any questions or offers of work!

Persevere,

Richard Henzel
rhenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #5
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solink View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to take heed to your advice and continue studying on becoming an actor. Still, is there a way I can allow my potential to shine here? I heard of some fandubbing projects being involved here.

Also, where can I look to see what I can contribute to the database? I have a vast knowledge on VAers and animation trivia, so perhaps I can be of great assistance.
Hello there Solink! Welcome to the community! You've been here longer than I have... but wanted to drop by your thread anyway and say "hey"! Awesome to hear that you're taking acting classes and want to do VA down the road! Have you considered submitting to the Voice This! feature of the site? Would definitely love to see more aspiring VAs active here in the forums as well! Nice to meet you!
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #6
Solink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
Hello there Solink! Welcome to the community! You've been here longer than I have... but wanted to drop by your thread anyway and say "hey"! Awesome to hear that you're taking acting classes and want to do VA down the road! Have you considered submitting to the Voice This! feature of the site? Would definitely love to see more aspiring VAs active here in the forums as well! Nice to meet you!
I'd love to try out then. Mind filling me in some details on it?
Old 05-14-2011   #7
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solink View Post
I'd love to try out then. Mind filling me in some details on it?
Sure, here's the link... http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-this/

It's pretty self-explanatory. Also, be sure to listen to other community contributors to hear their takes! If you're unsure on what a character's voice might sound like... don't hesitate to check out the voice comparisons feature to listen to the actual voice actors!
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote