Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 10-07-2016   #21
The Luminous One

Default Re: Battle of the Planets

Hi LichaRose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LichaRose View Post
Ah, goodness it's been a long time! I'm so sorry I hadn't thought to check back here. Work and health matters kept me busy and laid away for a while, and I'd practically forgotten about this place.

But it's great to have you here, Luminous One! I do have one of your guides and have loved your website. It's a nice surprise to see someone that was involved join in the discussion here, social media these days is pretty great for these matters.
Nice to see you too and thanks for your kind words. I just joined up here a short while ago so I have to keep reminding myself to check back. Hope you're feeling well, I'm glad you're here to rejoin the discussion.

Quote:
That's really a shame about the Megas XLR episode, too. It would have been a great way to reunite the actors, and with them keeping Young and Schell in the final recording, it's unfortunate they saw a reason to replace Kasem and Waldo . I guess it's good to know they were at least considered and had recorded on the first go, if anything. Very unfortunate for Ms. Waldo too, considering what went down with the Jetsons movie in the past...

Also good to have the Dinehart matter cleared up, sites like IMDB and others get so shady and confusing on who's who in the family.
The Megas XLR situation really was too bad. It's not like the series took itself so seriously that "old" sounding voices would have been a problem. I just think the newer show runners didn't understand why those particular actors were all there.

I know Ms. Waldo was really hurt about being replaced on The Jetsons Movie. Her manager tried to get her lines reinstated for future home video releases (as an alternate audio option most likely), but nothing ever came of his attempts.

Quote:
One of these days, I might try to get back to watching the series and seeing if I could pick up where Starscreamfan and I left off with any possible IDs, although the older the series gets, the trickier it may be (I'm pretty sure about pilot Jason being Jolliffe from hearing other H-B work with him, and Oppenheimer seems like he was the Spectra commander?). It's great that you're still in touch with cast and crew members! It must have been an experience to be at Sandy Frank.
Thank you very much for all your anecdotes and information once again, it's been nice to read through all it. Here's hoping Woodson is doing all right.
A full list of Battle actors and their roles would be wonderful. I keep hoping to find some documentation detailing that. It's fairly easy to identify members of the main cast when they do extra roles but others are complete mysteries. Alan Dinehart used to hire friends for one-off roles who weren't always professional voice actors... so everyone may never be known.

I agree about Jolliffe as Jason in the pilot. I have a positive identification of his voice in a later episode and it sounds just like the pilot Jason. There's not much question in my mind now.

I try to stay in touch with as many of the crew as I can. Both to pass along news and information to them, and to try to find answers as my own questions come up. The people who worked on Battle have all been friendly, helpful and genuinely liked working on the series. I can't say that about all of the programs I've researched.

Ha ha, experience is a good word for working with Sandy Frank. He's a real character.

Quote:
ETA: Considering that Sentai Filmworks seemed to have the "Battle of the Planets" episodes streaming along with Gatchaman last I saw, I wonder if there's a possibility they could release that version on home video down the line. Whatever deal they had to distribute Tatsunoko's titles seems to be held up or something happened, as I haven't heard word about it in so long. But if that's still valid, that's probably one possible way I could think of the Ocean pilot making it out as an extra. I'm not exactly sure though, since I'm not in that type of business and wouldn't know if there'd be more rights to work out.
I'm not sure about Battle. I saw that it and Gatchaman disappeared from Hulu back in August. I too keep waiting to see if Sentai are going to issue any of the other Tatsunoko titles they mentioned a while back. As far as I know all the licenses are still valid, they just haven't proceeded with any of them yet.

There's always a chance of seeing something like the Ocean pilot as an extra somewhere. That, along with some of the other experiments Sandy did with episodes through the years (re-voicing certain characters, feature-length "movies," etc.). Some of them ended up as bonus items on foreign Battle home video releases already. Not the Ocean pilot, however.

Let me know if I you have any other questions, I'll be glad to pass along what I can.

Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info
The Luminous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #22
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan View Post
Cool, thanks for that.

And gee, you talked with Bill Woodson??? That's awesome. I really hope he gets better, though.
I hope you've been well. It took a while to find any more information, but I promised to let you know if I learned anything new.

I was able to spend part of last Sunday with Ronnie Schell. Among many other things, I asked him about several of the uncredited voice actors on Battle. He did not remember seeing Michael Rye during the Battle sessions. His memory for places and people is extremely accurate and I don't doubt him. He did say it was possible Mr. Rye could have slipped in a few sessions when he wasn't there though.

Mr. Schell also gave me another uncredited Battle actor - John Stephenson. I know his work and history and he definitely fits in with one of the people Alan Dinehart and Jameson Brewer would have brought in. It's a shame he never really talked about his work before he passed.

I have also made contact with Alan Young's daughter, whom I will be interviewing soon. She remembers doing voices on only four or five episodes. She was present in the studio fairly often however.

Speaking of the studio, I visited it late last year and the owners have kept it in the same shape as it was when Battle was recorded there - the same equipment and everything. It was a very strange, very cool, trip back in time.

Finally, I recently obtained a nearly complete press kit from Battle, and in it was a nice shot of Alan Dinehart, which I have updated on my site.

Hope to talk with you again soon.

Jason
Old 03-14-2017   #23
Starscreamsfan
Official Pic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luminous One View Post
Hi Starscreamsfan,

I hope you've been well. It took a while to find any more information, but I promised to let you know if I learned anything new.

I was able to spend part of last Sunday with Ronnie Schell. Among many other things, I asked him about several of the uncredited voice actors on Battle. He did not remember seeing Michael Rye during the Battle sessions. His memory for places and people is extremely accurate and I don't doubt him. He did say it was possible Mr. Rye could have slipped in a few sessions when he wasn't there though.

Mr. Schell also gave me another uncredited Battle actor - John Stephenson. I know his work and history and he definitely fits in with one of the people Alan Dinehart and Jameson Brewer would have brought in. It's a shame he never really talked about his work before he passed.

I have also made contact with Alan Young's daughter, whom I will be interviewing soon. She remembers doing voices on only four or five episodes. She was present in the studio fairly often however.

Speaking of the studio, I visited it late last year and the owners have kept it in the same shape as it was when Battle was recorded there - the same equipment and everything. It was a very strange, very cool, trip back in time.

Finally, I recently obtained a nearly complete press kit from Battle, and in it was a nice shot of Alan Dinehart, which I have updated on my site.

Hope to talk with you again soon.

Jason
Then if it isn't Michael Rye as Dr. Sweet in the "Space Mummy" episode, it really is a pretty close sound-alike (it even has the same type of lisp and delivery).

And wow, John Stephenson. He must be in one of the later episodes then. I really have to check them out again.

And boy, can't wait for that interview.

That's cool. Must have been a great experience.

And it's great to finally have a clear picture of the voice director and voice actor for my favorite character in the show (Tiny).

And yeah, hope to speak to you soon as well. You've been quite helpful.

LONG LIVE OLD TIME RADIO!!!!
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017   #24
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan,

Quote:
Then if it isn't Michael Rye as Dr. Sweet in the "Space Mummy" episode, it really is a pretty close sound-alike (it even has the same type of lisp and delivery).

And wow, John Stephenson. He must be in one of the later episodes then. I really have to check them out again.

And it's great to finally have a clear picture of the voice director and voice actor for my favorite character in the show (Tiny).

And yeah, hope to speak to you soon as well. You've been quite helpful.
I agree, it could very well be Michael Rye. The actors remembered being recorded in groups and also solo at different times. There's every chance that Mr. Rye and Mr. Schell never saw one another, especially if Mr. Rye only participated a couple times.

I'll have to listen to episodes now to try to pick out Mr. Stephenson too!

I figured given some of your past posts, you would appreciate that "new" photo of Mr. Dinehart. I was certainly glad to find it!

Jason
Old 03-15-2017   #25
Starscreamsfan
Official Pic Hunter

Quote:
Hi Starscreamsfan,

I agree, it could very well be Michael Rye. The actors remembered being recorded in groups and also solo at different times. There's every chance that Mr. Rye and Mr. Schell never saw one another, especially if Mr. Rye only participated a couple times.

I'll have to listen to episodes now to try to pick out Mr. Stephenson too!

I figured given some of your past posts, you would appreciate that "new" photo of Mr. Dinehart. I was certainly glad to find it!

Jason
Well, then there still is a possibility that it is Michael.

Yup, Mr. Stephenson had a really distinctive voice, so it might be easy to identify him.

Yes, it looks really great. By the way, could you share a bigger version of the recording session pic you have in your site (the one with Alan Dinehart, Casey Kasem, Janet Waldo, Alan Young and Keye Luke in it)??? And if you have more recording session pics, I would really love to see them.

Old 03-24-2017   #26
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan,

Quote:
Well, then there still is a possibility that it is Michael.

Yup, Mr. Stephenson had a really distinctive voice, so it might be easy to identify him.

Yes, it looks really great. By the way, could you share a bigger version of the recording session pic you have in your site (the one with Alan Dinehart, Casey Kasem, Janet Waldo, Alan Young and Keye Luke in it)??? And if you have more recording session pics, I would really love to see them.
I have three photos, one of which (the tiny one you mentioned) is a badly retouched composite of the other two. In the two regular ones, there is a mike shadow across Janet Waldo’s face. They tried to fix it in the third. I don’t have that one on my computer currently, other than the version on the site. The only other two are loaded to see here.

I know these aren't exactly high-res, but I don't have my better scans on my machine at the moment either. Anything else you may be curious to see, let me know and I’ll see if I can help.

Best,

Jason
Old 03-24-2017   #27
Starscreamsfan
Official Pic Hunter

Quote:
Hi Starscreamsfan,

I have three photos, one of which (the tiny one you mentioned) is a badly retouched composite of the other two. In the two regular ones, there is a mike shadow across Janet Waldo’s face. They tried to fix it in the third. I don’t have that one on my computer currently, other than the version on the site. The only other two are loaded to see here.

I know these aren't exactly high-res, but I don't have my better scans on my machine at the moment either. Anything else you may be curious to see, let me know and I’ll see if I can help.

Best,

Jason
Okay, cool. But still, pretty nice to see bigger pictures of the recording sessions. Kinda wish Ronnie Schell was in one of them, 'cause then it would be a full cast picture.

Still, these are great to look at. Thank you.

Old 03-24-2017   #28
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan,

Quote:
Okay, cool. But still, pretty nice to see bigger pictures of the recording sessions. Kinda wish Ronnie Schell was in one of them, 'cause then it would be a full cast picture.

Still, these are great to look at. Thank you.
You bet, you're welcome!

I asked Mr. Schell about this a couple weeks ago, he thought he simply wasn't there that day. He also joked that he was the one that took the pictures! I'd love to see a full main cast photo. I've found a lot of other things I never dreamt existed, so who knows?

Jason
Old 03-25-2017   #29
Starscreamsfan
Official Pic Hunter

Quote:
Hi Starscreamsfan,

You bet, you're welcome!

I asked Mr. Schell about this a couple weeks ago, he thought he simply wasn't there that day. He also joked that he was the one that took the pictures! I'd love to see a full main cast photo. I've found a lot of other things I never dreamt existed, so who knows?

Jason
Yeah, maybe you'll dig up something.

Old 04-02-2017   #30
GreenGoblin75

Hey, The Luminous One,

Next time you're here, I was hoping you could answer a question I had.

Was BOTP recorded similar to anime titles of today, with the actors matching the lip flaps while looking at the Japanese version?

Because it seems like that must've been something different than what those actors were normally used to doing.

GreenGoblin75 is offline   Reply With Quote