Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 04-03-2017   #31
The Luminous One

Default Re: Battle of the Planets

Hi GreenGoblin75,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin75 View Post
Hey, The Luminous One,

Next time you're here, I was hoping you could answer a question I had.

Was BOTP recorded similar to anime titles of today, with the actors matching the lip flaps while looking at the Japanese version?

Because it seems like that must've been something different than what those actors were normally used to doing.
No, unfortunately the Battle actors didn’t have that luxury. I’m sure they would have loved it! They got timed scripts and had to perform their dialogue to a stopwatch operated by the voice director. They had to hit their exact timings with no visual cues at all. A few mentioned to me that it was a bit difficult at first but once they got used to the process, it went very smoothly.

For ease of production, they also recorded the original US animated sequences the same way.

Let me know if I can answer more thoroughly, or if you have any other questions.

Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

Last edited by The Luminous One; 04-03-2017 at 04:23 AM.
The Luminous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #32
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luminous One View Post
Hi GreenGoblin75,

No, unfortunately the Battle actors didnít have that luxury. Iím sure they would have loved it! They got timed scripts and had to perform their dialogue to a stopwatch operated by the voice director. They had to hit their exact timings with no visual cues at all. A few mentioned to me that it was a bit difficult at first but once they got used to the process, it went very smoothly.

For ease of production, they also recorded the original US animated sequences the same way.

Let me know if I can answer more thoroughly, or if you have any other questions.

Jason
Ok that took some real skill and precision, way trickier yet a clever idea.

Props.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017   #33
LichaRose

The stopwatch must have been quite a learning curve, but I think it really helped out especially considering the limitations there were back then.

It's neat to hear that John Stephenson was involved in the dubbing too, that's something I should try to listen for whenever I get the chance as well. Wendy Young and Takayo Fischer's involvement has always interested me, since I could hear Waldo as voicing plenty of the women and children as talented as she was, but have also wondered at times on some roles and if they were still within her range.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #34
The Luminous One

Hi LichaRose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LichaRose View Post
The stopwatch must have been quite a learning curve, but I think it really helped out especially considering the limitations there were back then.

It's neat to hear that John Stephenson was involved in the dubbing too, that's something I should try to listen for whenever I get the chance as well. Wendy Young and Takayo Fischer's involvement has always interested me, since I could hear Waldo as voicing plenty of the women and children as talented as she was, but have also wondered at times on some roles and if they were still within her range.
I have a small update you may be interested in. I recently completed interviews with some of the voice actors I mentioned earlier in the thread, including Takayo Fischer. She kept records of times, dates and in most cases, names of the characters she played. She came in fairly late into the production of Battle of the Planets, approximately Week 12 (of 17) in the production order. She played characters whom I'd assumed to be Janet Waldo reading in a lower register. Agent S-9 in the ďCurse of the CuttlefishĒ episodes and Ms. Ostric in "Giant Gila Monster" were two examples.

I also spoke with David Jolliffe and he confirmed he was Jason in the pilot. He was unavailable for the role months later when the show was given the go-ahead. But he remained on-call to come in to play various roles when he was in town. Thatís that mystery finally solved!

Wendy Young was very cool to talk with, but could not recall which episodes she was in. She thought something like six or seven of them.

Unfortunately none of the actors could recall any additional personnel involved. Iím still looking! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jason
The Luminous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #35
Starscreamsfan
Official Pic Hunter

Quote:
Hi LichaRose,

I have a small update you may be interested in. I recently completed interviews with some of the voice actors I mentioned earlier in the thread, including Takayo Fischer. She kept records of times, dates and in most cases, names of the characters she played. She came in fairly late into the production of Battle of the Planets, approximately Week 12 (of 17) in the production order. She played characters whom I'd assumed to be Janet Waldo reading in a lower register. Agent S-9 in the ďCurse of the CuttlefishĒ episodes and Ms. Ostric in "Giant Gila Monster" were two examples.

I also spoke with David Jolliffe and he confirmed he was Jason in the pilot. He was unavailable for the role months later when the show was given the go-ahead. But he remained on-call to come in to play various roles when he was in town. Thatís that mystery finally solved!

Wendy Young was very cool to talk with, but could not recall which episodes she was in. She thought something like six or seven of them.

Unfortunately none of the actors could recall any additional personnel involved. Iím still looking! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jason
That's pretty cool. I was kinda wondering if some of the Spectra agents were played by Takayo, and turns out it was true.

That's pretty cool. Would have been nice to hear Jolliffe play Jason more, but then again, we wouldn't have gotten Ronnie Schell's great performance. Still, he was a solid early voice for Jason.

Heh, Wendy Young seems like a pretty cool person.

Man, it kinda saddens me that Bill Woodson passed away some time after you posted that you had contacted him, but he was ill. Would have been cool if you had gotten another chance to talk with him.

LONG LIVE OLD TIME RADIO!!!!
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017   #36
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Hi LichaRose,

Jason
Really cool to give us this update.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote