Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 21 Hours Ago   #151
huzaifa_ahmed

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNiman View Post
Listened to the dub and it was overall pretty good.

I feel Lex Lang was kind of a miscast as Goku but performance-wise he's not bad (he's too deep for the character but he gets Goku's personality down).
A ton of people say that about Schemmel as well. Although it should be kept in mind that Schemmel's is one of the higher-pitched international Goku voices. The previous dubs that were faithful (like the Mexican/Latin-American Spanish dub) had reasonably deep, baritone voices for adult Goku. Goku's character type isnt really Lex's forte, but certainly his voice itself isnt too different from what Goku generally has been internationally.

I think I've let it be known that I prefer language/regional versions of characters to be consistent (in this case, with Toriyama/Toei's casting), & I mentioned Greg Cipes as what I think he "should" sound like, but...if you're going to say "he's too deep", I think some historical context is important. Lex's voice is fine in the same regard as Schemmel/Castaneda/most other international Goku's.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #152
Nightmare Crusher

I've got kind of a mixed feeling on Kaiji's Vegeta. He's performing very well, but the voice feels very Sabat-lite. Hopefully if there's one thing he ends up copying from Sabat it's that he moves away from impersonating someone else to doing a stronger, more original take.

I'm starting to warm up to Goku's voice. It's a shame the recording missed that first scene with Goku and Kaio, but he's already starting to sound better in that next episode preview. Hopefully he really hits his stride on the battle scenes. I'm really wondering how he'll sound in more intense scenes. Especially if they make it to the U6 tournament.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 21 Hours Ago at 03:23 PM.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #153
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=9Xp7aBj4YJg

Here's a short preview of Kaiji Tang's Vegeta. It sounds kinda disappointing. Infact, it sounds like Sabat's Vegeta in the "Remastered" dub. Don't know about you guys but it didn't leave a very good first impression on me.
Well...It's at least better and more fitting than every other English voice outside of Sabat and Drummond.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Hours Ago   #154
HylianBelmont

Send a message via Skype™ to HylianBelmont

Quote:
Some people complained Jason Douglas is too unimposing as Beerus but I still find him perfect, the voice has weight but still fits his lazy personality and enforces how he doesn't have to try to impose his godlike stature. BZ's Beerus tries too hard here imo.
Agreed for sure! You summed it up pretty well here IMO.
HylianBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Hours Ago   #155
NCZ
Mysterious Destiny

When I heard Kaiji Tang and Vegeta I figured, "oh, Vegeta with Kaiji Tang's natural voice? could work out cool".

Just being a Sabat impression is kind of disappointing. I wish the directors and whoever else involved would have let him put his own stamp on things.
Old 19 Hours Ago   #156
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Some people complained Jason Douglas is too unimposing as Beerus but I still find him perfect, the voice has weight but still fits his lazy personality and enforces how he doesn't have to try to impose his godlike stature. BZ's Beerus tries too hard here imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianBelmont View Post
Agreed for sure! You summed it up pretty well here IMO.
Same.

The often nonchanlantness that Jason brings fits the lazy gluttonous personality of Beerus. I think he does sound menacing when he needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
When I heard Kaiji Tang and Vegeta I figured, "oh, Vegeta with Kaiji Tang's natural voice? could work out cool".

Just being a Sabat impression is kind of disappointing. I wish the directors and whoever else involved would have let him put his own stamp on things.
Yeah.

I was hoping it'd be a more intense and aggressive Archer.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Hours Ago   #157
huzaifa_ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Yeah, I was hoping it'd be a more intense and aggressive Archer.
Exactly, when Kaiji was shown to be Vegeta, these were my exact thoughts. I thought it'd be awesome to have a completely original dub without hold-overs from FUNi/Saban's old castings. If they wanted a Sabat impression, someone like Keith Silverstein would've been better. Kaiji's voice lacks a lot of the weight of Sabat's, although it's certainly a very good impression, after listening to it.

...The thing is, though, Kai-onward (when Toei began getting them reference audio to listen to) Sabat himself has moved away from that very throaty voice for Vegeta, & something more regal & more human-sounding, as who Vegeta is supposed to be.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #158
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Well...It's at least better and more fitting than every other English voice outside of Sabat and Drummond.
Yeah you're right. But at least Doug Rand & Ed Marcus are entertaining to listen to considering the nature of the dub to begin with.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote