Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Hanna-Barbera

Hanna-Barbera Discuss Hanna-Barbera properties Here

Old 12-30-2013   #11
cartoonvoice
Banned

Default Re: What are the worst Hanna Barbara shows?

I pity you.
Remember the Bugs Bunny short where he and Elmer were oldies and babies? That is how "Baby Looney Tunes" should have been. Instead we got a boring non-wacky non-slapstick show that only 3-year-olds can enjoy.

Last edited by cartoonvoice; 12-30-2013 at 12:43 PM.
cartoonvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #12
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: What are the worst Hanna Barbara shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonvoice View Post
I pity you.
Remember the Bugs Bunny short where he and Elmer were oldies and babies? That is how "Baby Looney Tunes" should have been. Instead we got a boring non-wacky non-slapstick show that only 3-year-olds can enjoy.
I have to agree for the most part. While I can't say that Baby Looney Tunes was one of the worst shows I've seen (or even that terrible), I think it has the exact same problem that Full House suffers from: it's just too safe. Nothing is ever done in the show that is remotely engaging, and what it does to try and be engaging just doesn't work. It mainly plays on the wildly exploitative 'cuteness factor', and I hate when shows and movies do that, because then the writers/creators of the show, much like with use of CGI and explosions in action films, feel that they don't have to put as much effort into their work because the audience will pay more attention to the cuteness. I know that it definitely wasn't the writers [of this show]'s intention, but they seem to make it feel that way.

Is their a redeeming quality to the show? Honestly, yes, and it's the most important factor overall. That's the characters. It actually is kind of neat to see these characters in a different form from their original selves. Not to mention that they are very likable (plus, they brought back June Foray as Granny ). These are the kind of characters that you'd like to go on an adventure with, and that's a great thing. The adventures themselves, however...

People can try to justify that the show is the way it is because it is intended for a younger audience. But to me, that's no excuse. You can put something more engaging in front of them without going too far. You want a good example of a show about babies going on adventures, big or small? One word: Rugrats. I will stand by this show as one of the best children's shows ever made because it captures a child's sense of adventure uncannily well. That was a very engaging show, and I loved it as a kid (still love it now) because this was a show where I wanted to go on adventures with fictional characters that are very likable, an the adventures were just as great.

Baby Looney Tunes tried to make a much tamer show like that for an even younger crowd, but to me, it inevitably backfired. Nothing there to keep proper attention for anyone. Nothing to keep you interested like a show should. And the biggest factor is that it doesn't have that wacky spirit that made the original LT cartoons so much fun. Other recent works like Space Jam (while I never liked it as a kid, despite the fact that people then and now seemed to praise it like a god) and the new Looney Tunes Show (which I did like. *raises flame shield*) had kept that very spirit going on in different ways, shapes, and forms. BLT, however, just seemed to keep it dead on arrival.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #13
cartoonvoice
Banned

Sounds to me that you would enjoy Tiny Toons and Taz-Mania. Both shows have many likable characters and the adventures are nice. Also, Back in Action. Duck Dodgers. Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. These are the worthy Looney Tunes follow-ups!

(Loonatics doesn't work as a LT cartoon but at least works as an action cartoon.)
cartoonvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #14
DreamMaster08X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonvoice View Post
Sounds to me that you would enjoy Tiny Toons and Taz-Mania. Both shows have many likable characters and the adventures are nice. Also, Back in Action. Duck Dodgers. Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. These are the worthy Looney Tunes follow-ups!

(Loonatics doesn't work as a LT cartoon but at least works as an action cartoon.)
I've seen Back in Action, and I found it to be severely underrated. Not as much as other films I like, but enough to where I'd watch it a few more times. I did see a few episodes of S&T Mysteries sometime in my childhood, but I don't remember it enough to make an assumption of if I liked it or not.

Old 02-17-2014   #15
HienFan

Never seen Taz-mania or Sylvester and Tweetie mysteries but these are good, it makes Baby Looney Tunes even less worth it for all the dumbing down they do

Why do people think dumbing down is a good idea? That's why many of these children show I see lately are so dull and not worth it, might as well show your kids something less dumbed down
HienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #16
DreamMaster08X

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienFan View Post
Why do people think dumbing down is a good idea? That's why many of these children show I see lately are so dull and not worth it, might as well show your kids something less dumbed down
This is why I HATE when people try to justify a dumbed-down movie saying that "Oh, it's intended only for kids; they're not very bright."

Half of the Disney movies kept smart, or at least fun, as well as about EVERY Studio Ghibli film ever made.

I don't expect all movies to try this, but please.... ....try SOMETHING.

Old 03-09-2014   #17
Skullgrin140

If I could pick the "worst" shows Hanna Barbara really churned out it really boils down to two choices because I found these shows to be very abysmal as a child.

Top Cat & The Flintstones, I think those shows really I would consider the worst.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #18
virtual revenger

I believe that Challenge of the Gobots led the company to go downhill and the toys.
virtual revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #19
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual revenger View Post
I believe that Challenge of the Gobots led the company to go downhill and the toys.
you believe that based on what??!
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #20
TylerMirage
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual revenger View Post
u wot m8?
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote