6th BTVA Voice Acting Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Gaming Central > General Game Discussion

General Game Discussion Discuss the latest video game hit or the classics from long ago.

Old 03-28-2012   #21
Pokejedservo

Default Re: Soul Calibur V

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Thanks! Honestly, I have no idea why, especially since Roger Craig Smith is specifically credited as Ezio, and all the Japanese VAs are assigned to their characters. Sadly, Namco just doesn't seem to respect English voice actors.

Still, at least it's not like III and IV where the VAs weren't credited period.
Agreed at least V actually mentioned the voice talent at all unlike what III and IV did, but the English dub of those games were probably not a union job though (but I could be wrong though).
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #22
NCZ
Treats and Pets

III was definitely non-union. No idea what IV's deal was. My first instinct is to say non-union, but the Star Wars characters were all properly credited (even Tom Kane!)
Old 03-29-2012   #23
Pokejedservo

Heh who knows since SCV actually credited their english voice talent at all maybe they would've fully did it if the game wasn't so rushed. I've heard stories on how the game's story mode was going to be a LOT larger than it was but it got severely reduced due to time constraints on how Namco tried to release the game when they did.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #24
stevenjobs
Banned

Richard Epcar is a CAS voice. One of the choices sounds almost exactly like Ansem.
stevenjobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #25
mandijames

Shouldn't be too hard since a lot of these VAs have distinctive voices. Also, I didn't capture it in the screencap because his credit is separated from the others
Old 06-09-2013   #26
rosebr10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Tira's the only female character left. Only remaining female voices are Claudia Lenz, Cindy Robinson and Stephanie Sheh. It doesn't sound like Stephanie to me so scratch her. Not much on Claudia Lenz, but here's a video of her character Rena in Star Ocean: Second Evolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iTGgoFBJKM

I'll try to contact some of these actors for confirmation.
Is there any remote chance that Jessica Straus is Tira? She was Gidget, after all. That role and her animation demo on her site come close, as Straus doesn't credit the game on her regular list.

Light side: SCIV vs. E7

Dark side: SCIV vs. Klonoa vs. SSFIV

My analysis:

Total # of credited actors:
Japanese: 24 (main) + 16 (CaS) = 40
English: 1 (Tier 1) + 17 (Tier 2) + 17 (Tier 3) = 35

Total # of characters: 28 (main) + 16 (CaS) +1 (Narration) = 45
Total # of VAs: 45 – 2 (creatures [Lizardman+Voldo]) – 2 (doubles [Alpha+Omega]) = 41

Potentially, there are as many as 6 (41-35) actors who do more than one character. Most likely no more than two were done by the same person.

1. Roger Craig Smith is easily the 1st of these (Ezio+Siegfried)
2. Laura Bailey (as Katie McNulty) voices "Cynical" in addition to Pyrrha (Cynical=her newest role, Black Widow)
3. Paul St. Peter is "Main Bad Guy" in addition to being the narrator. It's somewhat like his Ganryu.
4. Jessica Straus, based on my above theory, was both Tira and "Reliable Leader (Female)"
5. Travis Willingham - If the name "Willingrod" is based off who I think it is, it only further drives the point home that he uses his deep voice for Nightmare (in addition to "Reliable Leader (Male)")
6. Of all the females here, the most likely to have voiced Elysium is Nicole Karrer, who was also "Femme Fatale." Therefore, Karrer was Sophitia from III-BD, not Holmby.

English VAs in the 3rd and final tier have the advantage of non-facial capture performances. Naturally, all the CaS characters would go here, and it also caters to those with pre-existing lines (Dampierre), require only the mouth to be seen (Elysium) or don't have a face at all to worry about (Nightmare and Yoshimitsu). Tira is a special case given her bipolar nature, and is truly the defining factor of my analysis.

Last edited by rosebr10; 06-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #27
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post

5. Travis Willingham - If the name "Willingrod" is based off who I think it is, it only further drives the point home that he uses his deep voice for Nightmare (in addition to "Reliable Leader (Male)")
This is the one point of your analysis that I openly disagree with. My first point is more opinion based, but I don't think Nightmare sounds like Travis at all. Maybe it's just me, but when I listen really close to Nightmare he sounds like he has a lighter voice under the processing. On a more factual basis I can come up with several pieces of evidence to support Nightmare being Charles Klausmeyer. In Japan Nightmare's VA was replaced with Raphael's. It's very likely that they share a voice in English too. Secondly, when Patrick Seitz confirmed that he was Cervantes on Facebook he mentioned rumors that he was Nightmare and Raphael. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that Raphael was Patrick Seitz, everywhere I went people thought it was still Charles, probably because Raphael sounded nothing like Patrick Seitz. It's likely that Patrick put the two together since they were voiced by the same actor, Patrick was the director so he would know. And finally, in character customization Nightmare has Raphael's face if you look at him without a helmet. Furthermore, in story mode Nightmare is frequently seen without a helmet and not only does he look like Raphael, he sounds exactly like him.

I simply don't see how Travis is Nightmare.
EDIT: I went through the earlier parts of the topic and according to NCZ Jessica said she only played minor characters.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 06-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #28
rosebr10

@Nightmare Crusher
OK, fair enough (I have the excuse of having never played the game). Klausmeyer has that enigmatic air around him. But yeah, that's definitely Raphael, alright.

As for Straus, I apologize for that. I thought I had all the previous info collected. No biggie, though; there's one other person on that list who I think could have voiced Tira (and unfortunately she also doesn't credit the Soul series on her site).

Compare this to this

Funny. She and Hale both have the "red head" thing going on.

Last edited by rosebr10; 06-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2013   #29
Nightmare Crusher

I figured that Cindy Robinson was Tira too. I was replaying some of the story in V and it just kind of hit me.
Old 12-05-2013   #30
rosebr10

I'm coming back to this thinking a little differently.

What if Katie McNulty was Tira? Even with SCV's voice credits, her voice is still a mystery when we have the likes of Cindy Robinson and Jessica Straus being very social about their roles compared to others. While they do not offer complete listings Tira would surely be worth a video by Straus or an entry by Robinson given the character's prominence.

What if Katie McNulty is just another one of Cup of Tea's best keep secrets, like Nicole Karrer, Anthony Jenkins and Amy Rose? [btw you should consider removing that bit on Ortiz' page about Eternal Sonata now that Norma can be attributed somewhat to the same actress as Salsa and March]

There seems to be a zero tolerance rule for Laura Bailey and nonunion work. With that said her also being "Cynical" should be justified by the fact that Ali Hillis isn't credited, yes? Hillis would be more likely to be credited for this kind of stuff when voice credits are included, right?