6th BTVA Voice Acting Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > General Movie Discussion

General Movie Discussion Discuss and review the latest movies you've seen! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 12-16-2013   #11
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01 Send a message via Skype™ to MilanTheVillain01
Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
...Yes... You just eerily took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

When the Hobbit came out, a lot of people shunned it because it used too much of it. I can partially understand it, but the originals used it just as much, and no one's complaining there. Double standards, I guess.
I'd say it's more of just people being Hypocritical, with a capital "H".
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #12
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanTheVillain01 View Post
I'd say it's more of just people being Hypocritical, with a capital "H".
I would've suggested that, but I didn't want to make that assumption, since I can understand most of the criticisms of the new films.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #13
TylerMirage
Administrator

I'm totally not meaning to hijack your review thread and turn it into my own VFX rant, skeletonking. Also, I'd like to point out that everyone in this thread has been awesome.

It really is a sense of double-standards. (I'm not saying you're one of those people, skeletonking. ) There are just some people out there, people who can't word their responses as eloquently as the likes of the people in this thread, who complain, but don't know enough to actually rationalize their complaints. They complain based on false information or lack of knowledge on the subject, so that's where facts and examples come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
Honestly, as a person who despises the concept of using CG to take over storytelling...
Let me just step into my armchair director mode here... As someone who has only recently got a true glimpse into what it takes to produce professional video projects (a music video, commercial, documentary, short film) and all that's involved in "small" productions such as those and what it takes to tell a story from start to finish, I'd just like to point out that CGI never "takes over storytelling". At least not deliberately. CGI is merely a tool to help tell the story. Whether you're Nolan, Scorsese, Spielberg, Bay, Jackson or Whedon, whether your film is filled from start to finish with CGI or if you've only got a small bit, whether it's your first time using it or if it's your tenth VFX Oscar-winning film, no filmmaker worth their salt will throw CGI into their film for the mere sake of using CGI. Using visual effects - miniatures, CG, matte paintings, models, stop-motion, whatever - is one of the many, many tools that a filmmaker has in their toolbelt. They've been using visual trickery for a century to achieve their goal: TELLING STORIES AND ENTERTAINING AUDIENCES. Utilizing CGI in a film to help tell the story is really no different than using elaborate make-up to help tell the story. Or costumes. Or sets. Or actors. Or props. Or special effects. Or lights. Dozens upon dozens of factors work together in a production to help push the story along. You don't need all of these factors, but the ones that a production does have, has to work together seamlessly. it's all about searching for the best tools to tell the story and using them competently. The director digs around in his toolbelt for the best tools to tell his vision. Does he need props to tell his story? Yes? Then he'll use them. Does he require period-accurate costumes to tell the story? Yes? Well, he's rooting around in that toolbelt for them. Does he require CGI to tell his story? If so, he's going to use it. CGI is merely one of the many tools at a director's disposal.

If the CGI (or any of the above-mentioned "tools") in a movie distracts you from the story, that's unfortunate, but it's also subjective to each individual audience member, and that's something that cannot be controlled from the editing bay. It's the filmmakers' jobs to try and ensure that it doesn't happen, but sometimes it does and it's unavoidable. I can watch a movie and say that such-and-such a filmmaking method distracted me, and you can watch the same movie and say it didn't. But the CGI, like costumes or make-up or props, is there to help tell the story, never to distract from it.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #14
Troodon2

Okay, can we talk less about the effects and more about the story? I've shared my thoughts on the story.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #15
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
As someone who has only recently got a true glimpse into what it takes to produce professional video projects (a music video, commercial, documentary, short film) and all that's involved in "small" productions such as those and what it takes to tell a story from start to finish, I'd just like to point out that CGI never "takes over storytelling". At least not deliberately. CGI is merely a tool to help tell the story.
Quote:
Honestly, as a person who despises the concept of using CG to take over storytelling...
Boy, did I phrased my question wrong. Okay, I did that, but honestly, there was no need to go into THAT much more detail again.

It's not the fact of using CGI to actually TELL the story: it's the fact of using CGI and feeling that you don't HAVE to tell a GOOD story because of it. Most directors/writers/producers of blockbusters (or wannabe blockbuster filmmakers) feel that they don't NEED to go into making anything much else good because people will just focus all of their attention on CGI and that's it. They figure no matter what or how much you put into a film, the audience will be so enthralled by the use of effects that they feel they don't NEED to attempt to make a good/better movie because of it.

And before you riposte by saying that (This) and (That) director don't do that, I get that. The CGI craze has died down a LOT since 90's and the release of Jurassic Park, the movie that start the craze to begin with. But that doesn't change the fact that there are STILL directors and producers out there who use it and focus ONLY on the effects. Though now, the real craze is sequels, remakes, and reboots, which is starting to become as big a hated peeve of mine with movies after random, pointless musical numbers in a non-musical movie/TV show and before the love triangle cliche. But now a lot of these remakes are coming in with CGI 'fatefully' attempting to save the day with its effects, which WOULD work if it is used to bring us an unforgettable environment (Avatar comes to mind). I would go on, but I don't want to keep spamming the thread with unneeded banter. But I HAD to get that out.

Now, please please please... PLEASE, for the love of Primus, and I mean this in the most kind, good-natured, and respectable manner possible... ... ...please do not go on another lengthy rant.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #16
thomwim

"The Desolation of Smaug" was so thrilling. The suspense built up gradually: a shape-shifting bear, the spider webs, the barrel rides, and a lair that would make Scrooge McDuck jealous!

To respect my second language, I went back to watch certain scenes in Spanish. I must praise Carlos Segundo (Mexico) and Ivan Muelas (Spain) for their performances as the fearsome Smaug!
Old 01-09-2014   #17
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01 Send a message via Skype™ to MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
To respect my second language, I went back to watch certain scenes in Spanish. I must praise Carlos Segundo (Mexico) and Ivan Muelas (Spain) for their performances as the fearsome Smaug!
There were two actors in the Spanish dub?
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #18
virtual revenger

I am still in shock that an elf maid would prefer Killi a dwarf to an elf?Elf maids fall for everyone. I mean she could lose your eternal life for a dwarf?
virtual revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #19
thomwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanTheVillain01 View Post
There were two actors in the Spanish dub?
Yes, Mexico and Spain always record separate dubs.
Old 01-12-2014   #20
electronic456

Thumbs up Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I saw the movie and it came to my mind that it was more fun than the 1st.

Here's my review:

Pros:
- Despite being nearly 3 hours long, the movie knows when to deliver the fun and entertainment.

- Great shootings of NZ that easily bring backs the essence of Middle Earth.

-Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf and......Kili have some great development in their characters.

- Cool sequences, my favourite is the escape from Smaug. The barrel and spider sequence had its moments too.

-I like the dangers Bilbo and co. go through , they are far more treacherous than before. In fact I like it more than the ones in Catching Fire.

-Smaug is one dragon I liked in a long time after the Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter 4. But he does have some issues.

- The last we see of Gandalf is a bit anti-climatic, but hey let's wait for the sequel, that's when my curiosity and hype for There and Back Again starts.

-Peter Jackson sure found a way to have the elves in the film. Good work expanding upon them.

- I made some good chuckles with a couple of scenes despite the movie being serious with itself.

- Overall better pacing of events and a decent music score.

Cons:
- The problem I had with Smaug was how well managed his voice was. Don't get me wrong Cumberbatch did fine, it's just that the voice kind of left me a headache because it was a bit too loud.

-Some visuals were pretty meh in 3D. The Orcs aren't really that appealing to me.

-I welcome Orlando's return as Legolas but I didn't feel too much of purpose for him being the movie, just felt like a nod to the original LOTR trilogy. Tauriel alone would have just been fine, I like the character the filmmakers have created.

- Radagast, a film made character didn't have enough screen time in my opinion. He just went off when Gandalf goes to face the Necromancer.

In conclusion, The Hobbit did catch my eye and showed off more fun moments than the first while adding a bit of new that worked in the film(e.g. Tauriel). I give it an 8/10.

P.S. Sadly I think this is the last movie I will see and due to my studies for these 2 years, I likely won't be seeing any of 2014s cool stuff like TF4, Godzilla, the Marvel movies( GOTG especially), the next Hobbit and HG movies, POTA or even Robocop & TMNT.

Sorry 2014, I'm gonna miss a lot of you most likely ,but I hope everyone enjoys a lovely 2014 movie year themselves.

Last edited by electronic456; 01-12-2014 at 02:58 AM.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote