6th BTVA Voice Acting Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 1 Week Ago   #351
Shaun Ince

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
I've noticed a few people predicting similar doom and gloom scenarios for this dub but I think you're overreacting a bit. Just because they aired the Kai and Z dubs (which is likely out of convenience - since they already existed beforehand, plus they were uncut), doesn't necessarily mean they're going to do the same here. Turner Networks have paid for at least 52 episodes of this dub already and I personally think they will see it through to the end. I mean, wouldn't it look a bit foolish of them to switch dubs suddenly during the broadcast? It would show they have no confidence in their own internal product, not to mention disgruntle viewers who've already come to like the Bang Zoom voices. I know a similar precedent has been set in Europe and Canada with the Ocean & Funimation dubs, but I suspect that had more to do with distributors such as AB Groupe being the middle man. It was not a situation like it is now where Turner owns it themselves.

I don't think this dub was made simply because they were impatient, maybe it had something to do with it but I don't think it was the sole reason. There could be a number of different reasons to go with the BZ dub over Funimation, the first one obviously being the price. The Funimation dub was dropped in the past by other international broadcasters and it wouldn't surprise me if it's because they were overcharging on the sub licensing fees. By owning this dub themselves, Turner now has the freedom to use the BZ dub in any of their channels across the world without the need to sub license from Funimation (aside from the US), it could work out to be a cheaper and less complicated arrangement for them.

To my knowledge, the only bit of internal info that has been said so far about this dub is that it was made because of "f'd up contracts" in Asia and Europe. It's also been said that (according to someone working at Turner Asia) it will eventually be used for Turner channels in Africa as well, so if that's the case, they too will be depending on this dub to be completed lest they decide to suddenly renegotiate with Funimation.

One thing I'll add is that I sent a message to one of the BZ actors a few months ago and they helpfully clarified things a bit more for me. I don't want to get anyone in trouble for breaking NDAs so I'll avoid naming them. But anyway, this is what they told me; "from what I understand the head of one of the Asian broadcasters, like Turner Network or something, decided they were gonna have an English dub from North American Actors, not just English Speaking Asian actors as they usually do. Not sure how it ended up in BZ's lap, but they were asked to cast it from "veterans" in the voice acting world/anime world. So because it was a different contract than Funimation's actors were allowed to do, they cast from Los Angeles actors, through BZ. The F'd up part was that the cast "had to be" different in different regions. So they made the best of it I suppose. Anyway hope that was insightful in some way."

The part where they mention that the cast "had to be" different in different regions leads me to believe that this dub will stay, that is, if it's written in the contract and they have to abide by it.
This. You summed it up perfectly here. I highly doubt that Turner Networks is going to drop the Bang Zoom dub for the FUNIMATION dub, otherwise why bother with funding a second dub to begin with? That last part is a very interesting insight into how this particular dub came to be.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #352
Abdullab

https://twitter.com/TomBauerVO/statu...65636750090240

Tom Bauer has confirmed he voiced Tagoma in DBS bang zoom dub
Abdullab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #353
Abdullab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
I've noticed a few people predicting similar doom and gloom scenarios for this dub but I think you're overreacting a bit. Just because they aired the Kai and Z dubs (which is likely out of convenience - since they already existed beforehand, plus they were uncut), doesn't necessarily mean they're going to do the same here. Turner Networks have paid for at least 52 episodes of this dub already and I personally think they will see it through to the end. I mean, wouldn't it look a bit foolish of them to switch dubs suddenly during the broadcast? It would show they have no confidence in their own internal product, not to mention disgruntle viewers who've already come to like the Bang Zoom voices. I know a similar precedent has been set in Europe and Canada with the Ocean & Funimation dubs, but I suspect that had more to do with distributors such as AB Groupe being the middle man. It was not a situation like it is now where Turner owns it themselves.

I don't think this dub was made simply because they were impatient, maybe it had something to do with it but I don't think it was the sole reason. There could be a number of different reasons to go with the BZ dub over Funimation, the first one obviously being the price. The Funimation dub was dropped in the past by other international broadcasters and it wouldn't surprise me if it's because they were overcharging on the sub licensing fees. By owning this dub themselves, Turner now has the freedom to use the BZ dub in any of their channels across the world without the need to sub license from Funimation (aside from the US), it could work out to be a cheaper and less complicated arrangement for them.

To my knowledge, the only bit of internal info that has been said so far about this dub is that it was made because of "f'd up contracts" in Asia and Europe. It's also been said that (according to someone working at Turner Asia) it will eventually be used for Turner channels in Africa as well, so if that's the case, they too will be depending on this dub to be completed lest they decide to suddenly renegotiate with Funimation.

One thing I'll add is that I sent a message to one of the BZ actors a few months ago and they helpfully clarified things a bit more for me. I don't want to get anyone in trouble for breaking NDAs so I'll avoid naming them. But anyway, this is what they told me; "from what I understand the head of one of the Asian broadcasters, like Turner Network or something, decided they were gonna have an English dub from North American Actors, not just English Speaking Asian actors as they usually do. Not sure how it ended up in BZ's lap, but they were asked to cast it from "veterans" in the voice acting world/anime world. So because it was a different contract than Funimation's actors were allowed to do, they cast from Los Angeles actors, through BZ. The F'd up part was that the cast "had to be" different in different regions. So they made the best of it I suppose. Anyway hope that was insightful in some way."

The part where they mention that the cast "had to be" different in different regions leads me to believe that this dub will stay, that is, if it's written in the contract and they have to abide by it.
about the actor in question, I remember Lang said something similar in Kazenshuu but not those exact wors, can u atleast tell us is the actor a boy or a girl
Old 1 Week Ago   #354
Abdullab

You know i remember way before bang zoom announced their dub a fan tweeted about how erika harlacher should voice Vados in the DBS funi dub and she was very open to the idea than bang zoom got to do it and she decided to be part of the toonami asia cast and voiced Videl given the dub does offer multiple roles like ray voicing picollo and tien, tom voicing shu and tagoma it could be possible erika got to voice Vados in that dub as well
Old 1 Week Ago   #355
Abdullab

Ray said the cast only did the first 2 seasons what if Bang Zoom have to wait for more episodes to come, my guess is toonami asia has to give them the episodes first before the cast can work on it
https://twitter.com/DougErholtz/stat...90275084689408

a picture of doug recording for whis in the screen it says TIAPL, again i think most propably toonami asia have to first liscense these episodes to air from toei legally but do it from a season basis unlike funi where they can air continously and once they got it than the bang zoom cast can work on it