Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 01-10-2017   #81
DisneyAnimefan1995

Post Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

I still believe that the names: Dana Hayes, Archie Fletcher, and Haley Lewis seem to be pseudonyms and not new actors for the dub, since their names are not found in ANY search engine, and we don't know much about their voices (aside from Beerus in the Toonami Asia promo). So can't argue with that!
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #82
hulkedoutdude

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAnimefan1995 View Post
I still believe that the names: Dana Hayes, Archie Fletcher, and Haley Lewis seem to be pseudonyms and not new actors for the dub, since their names are not found in ANY search engine, and we don't know much about their voices (aside from Beerus in the Toonami Asia promo). So can't argue with that!
Goten had a very little role in goku's preview, From what i heard he sounded super similar to nozawa's version so whoever Dana Hayes is I think she will do a great job as goten!!!
hulkedoutdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #83
huzaifa_ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
Kaiji Tang will most likely play a very standard tough guy voice akin to his Tsumugu Kinagase or Kenshiro. I doubt I'll be blown away by his Vegeta portrayal but at the very least I can rest easy knowing it's not going to be a Sabat soundalike. The only thing I'm curious about now is if he'll adopt any kind of accent or not.

I can only assume they're going for a take closer to the Japanese rather than a deep and rugged Scott McNeil esque voice.
Well, Sabat's is based on Drummond...I feel both are Saban-era miscasts, but Drummond could work better. I really like the accent Sabat uses, it's one thing I actually like about the dub that we have for DB. I honestly hope they get Kaiji to incorporate that into his Vegeta. & personally, I was expecting either a brutish-sounding Sabat-alike voice, likely Richard Epcar, or Keith Silverstein (if not Steve Blum). I think he can do a charismatic, solo guy pretty well, & he has a rough, but not too deep voice that reminds me of Toshio's Piccolo.

Ray Chase...eh, not too off, but definitely not ideal. He has a pretty smooth voice, baritone I would say but not too deep. I'd peg him for Whis, Yamcha, or Tenshinhan much easier. He has a good voice, but maybe not the gravitas for Piccolo. He sounds very young. Not as big a miscast, off the cuff, as a lot of us felt on Lex as Goku. In any case, Michael McConnohie as Kaio, alone, is easily enough to sell me on the BZ dub. I'd tolerate Cherami Leigh as Shenlong to hear that.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #84
DisneyAnimefan1995

Post Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkedoutdude View Post
Goten had a very little role in goku's preview, From what i heard he sounded super similar to nozawa's version so whoever Dana Hayes is I think she will do a great job as goten!!!
Oh Yeah Goten was heard in the Goku preview, guess I was unaware about that until now.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #85
NitroEX

Send a message via Skype™ to NitroEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
Well, Sabat's is based on Drummond...I feel both are Saban-era miscasts, but Drummond could work better.
Well, Sabat hasn't been based on Drummond since his early days (I want to say until around the Trunks or Android saga of the original broadcast Funi dub), since then he deepened his Vegeta quite significantly to the point where it was even deeper than Nappa during the redubbed Saiyan arc and GT. You can see a Namek saga comparison here. The change of pitch along with the pseudo British accent that he adopted later makes it more of an original take in my opinion, it has little to no resemblance to Drummond's work by the point of the redubs or Kai.

As for Drummond being a miscast, I disagree with that. The voice that Drummond ended up using in the Saban dub was (according to him) a voice that was developed and morphed during an initial creative process with the directors. They took Vegeta's design of a short statured, evil looking warrior/alien prince, along with his initial character description, and created a voice that resembled what they each thought he'd realistically sound like (in combination with Drummond's own dramatic flair). In my opinion a creative process like that makes his interpretation a fair and legitimate voice for the character, whether they had reference audio or not.

When it comes to Drummond's early Vegeta, he had enough knowledge of who the character was at that point in the story to give a strong performance. This is a controversial opinion but, considering he was playing a straight villain at the time, adding additional heroic or noble qualities into his performance (all for the sake of reflecting who he later becomes) would have been misplaced and only served to lessen the impact of his performance during that arc. I think this was a rare case of an actor actually benefiting from knowing less about the character he was playing.

Quote:
I really like the accent Sabat uses, it's one thing I actually like about the dub that we have for DB. I honestly hope they get Kaiji to incorporate that into his Vegeta. & personally, I was expecting either a brutish-sounding Sabat-alike voice, likely Richard Epcar, or Keith Silverstein (if not Steve Blum). I think he can do a charismatic, solo guy pretty well, & he has a rough, but not too deep voice that reminds me of Toshio's Piccolo.
I'm hoping for something different from Sabat so I personally hope they don't use an accent like that. Kaiji doesn't strike me as the type of voice actor who would be able to pull off that type of accent either. Sabat himself didn't even do it well until Kai, and even then it just resembled a toned down version of Dan Green's Yami, at least to me. Being from Britain it's harder for me to buy into that type of faux British accent unless the actor fully commits to it. I get that people think it suits Vegeta's whole prince schtick but that's all it really comes off as to me, a gimmick.

Quote:
Ray Chase...eh, not too off, but definitely not ideal. He has a pretty smooth voice, baritone I would say but not too deep. I'd peg him for Whis, Yamcha, or Tenshinhan much easier. He has a good voice, but maybe not the gravitas for Piccolo. He sounds very young. Not as big a miscast, off the cuff, as a lot of us felt on Lex as Goku. In any case, Michael McConnohie as Kaio, alone, is easily enough to sell me on the BZ dub. I'd tolerate Cherami Leigh as Shenlong to hear that.
Agreed. I'm very interested to hear what Ray Chase can do with the role, same for Michael McConnohie.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #86
hulkedoutdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
Well, Sabat hasn't been based on Drummond since his early days (I want to say until around the Trunks or Android saga of the original broadcast Funi dub), since then he deepened his Vegeta quite significantly to the point where it was even deeper than Nappa during the redubbed Saiyan arc and GT. You can see a Namek saga comparison here. The change of pitch along with the pseudo British accent that he adopted later makes it more of an original take in my opinion, it has little to no resemblance to Drummond's work by the point of the redubs or Kai.

As for Drummond being a miscast, I disagree with that. The voice that Drummond ended up using in the Saban dub was (according to him) a voice that was developed and morphed during an initial creative process with the directors. They took Vegeta's design of a short statured, evil looking warrior/alien prince, along with his initial character description, and created a voice that resembled what they each thought he'd realistically sound like (in combination with Drummond's own dramatic flair). In my opinion a creative process like that makes his interpretation a fair and legitimate voice for the character, whether they had reference audio or not.

When it comes to Drummond's early Vegeta, he had enough knowledge of who the character was at that point in the story to give a strong performance. This is a controversial opinion but, considering he was playing a straight villain at the time, adding additional heroic or noble qualities into his performance (all for the sake of reflecting who he later becomes) would have been misplaced and only served to lessen the impact of his performance during that arc. I think this was a rare case of an actor actually benefiting from knowing less about the character he was playing.

I'm hoping for something different from Sabat so I personally hope they don't use an accent like that. Kaiji doesn't strike me as the type of voice actor who would be able to pull off that type of accent either. Sabat himself didn't even do it well until Kai, and even then it just resembled a toned down version of Dan Green's Yami, at least to me. Being from Britain it's harder for me to buy into that type of faux British accent unless the actor fully commits to it. I get that people think it suits Vegeta's whole prince schtick but that's all it really comes off as to me, a gimmick.

Agreed. I'm very interested to hear what Ray Chase can do with the role, same for Michael McConnohie.

Here is clip from justice league dark where ray chase voices both etrigan/jason blood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1tMn9xdxM ... I think you can expect calm jason blood kinda tone for piccolo, if he can achieve that tone he would be best english dubbed piccolo for me!!!
hulkedoutdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #87
NCZ
Money Money 2020

https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/819383377950191616

I hope this doesn't happen by sole virtue of the fact that I'm not looking forward to the ensuing comments on every single Yugioh/DBZ voice compare.
Old 01-11-2017   #88
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/819383377950191616

I hope this doesn't happen by sole virtue of the fact that I'm not looking forward to the ensuing comments on every single Yugioh/DBZ voice compare.
Oh please no. I'd never be able to take Freeza seriously if that happened.
Old 01-12-2017   #89
Ghosty404

Good joke.

.. right?
Old 01-13-2017   #90
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

http://toonamifaithful.com/english-d...on-ball-super/

Two More New Editions:

Gohan Chris Hackney
Whis Doug Erholtz

Erholtz should be a great fit for Whis. He can take his usual smarmy smug voice and get really flamboyant with it.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote