Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Casting Call

Casting Call BTVA's newest feature. Audition for voice acting projects created by members of BTVA. Project owners can manage the entire project from start all the way through to casting.

Old 01-25-2013   #1
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default What site do you normally use for projects/auditions?

For the sake of curiosity, we'd be interested to know what site(s) you normally use for your voice-over projects and/or to audition for others projects?

A couple sites that come to mind are Voice Acting Alliance, Voice Acting Club and Youtube.

Last edited by OptimusSolo; 09-02-2014 at 01:37 AM. Reason: changed Voice Acting Proboards to it's proper name Voice Acting Club
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #2
Pokejedservo

Default Re: What site do you normally use for projects/auditions?

I've been using the Voice Acting Alliance since the summer of 2006 back when I was first becoming a Amatuer VA. I have also used the Voice Acting Club here at...

http://voiceacting.proboards.com/

Until a few years ago when I did try to post one of my Audition Threads there and never got a response at all and kind of gave up on the site. But I have recently reconsidered using that site again in the near future. (Besides considering it long it can get for me to get a Audition Thread done with in VAA nowadays I do realize I shouldn't make that site be my only option though.)
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #3
SephiVA

I normally use the voice acting alliance, but results from it tend to be rather slow so I'm kind of branching out and using this site atm for my show Antithesis. I just hope auditions from here come in soon
SephiVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #4
James Leighty

I have been working through ACX.com for audiobook projects. I have completed my 3rd audiobook and I am now working on my 4th. It's a great way to work on your acting skills as well as production skills while also making a bit of money.

Beware though, they have very tight requirements and a strict QA process, so be well prepared before taking on a project that you might get offered. They require you not only to narrate but to fully produce with a set deadline.
James Leighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #5
JD Cannon

Send a message via Skype™ to JD Cannon

Voices.Com: It pays for itself if you have the talent!
JD Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #6
a delicious orphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Cannon View Post
Voices.Com: It pays for itself if you have the talent!
No one should EVER have to pay for representation. I'm sorry, but it's just wrong.

Onto the thread topic, though. Voice Acting Alliance seems to be more popular with any paying gigs over this site. Some of you might get lucky here: http://www.backstage.com/casting/ope...ver-auditions/

They also might have a few non-voice acting gigs in your area. Though there's greater competition with potential professionals in the business, that shouldn't deter anyone from giving it their best shot!
a delicious orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #7
MooreVoices

Send a message via AIM to MooreVoices Send a message via Skype™ to MooreVoices

Although I love the spunk of your statement, a delicious orphan, JD Cannon is offering his reality of where projects and auditions are for him and all talent that are interested.

He is not paying for representation, neither am I, and neither are many other voice talents. We are representing ourselves, but paying for the ability to have access to tons of auditions that would otherwise not be available to us unless were at the very top of the food chain.

A business model has come into play over the past half decade called "pay to play: or "p2p" sites that charge you a monthly or yearly subscription to access auditions.

It is a very contentious subject in the industry, but I dare say, if you are a novice or a beginner, these are great places to start to see if you have the chops to do this for a living and get paid.

Now, to answer the OP's question, I incorporate a mix of pay to play casting sites, freelance sites, craigslist, voice acting forums, and my agent.

That mix, on a constant rotation, gets me rather consistent work.
MooreVoices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #8
James Leighty

I don't think anyone should jump into Pay 2 Play. Go to ACX.com and start narrating audiobooks. You can audition and get paid royalties or by the finished produced hour. It's a great place to hone your chops while earning a bit of money at the same time. I'm on my forth book now and my other three can be found on iTunes, Audible, and Amazon. ACX publishes your audiobooks for you. Every time my royalties are over $50 ACX cuts me a check.

Be leery of these pay 2 play sites.
James Leighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #9
MooreVoices

James, when you use the word "anyone", is that an absolute?

Once I can understand this, I can expound on your ACX stance.
Old 01-03-2014   #10
MooreVoices

James, define anyone.

I have been a thespian since '89, an amateur since 2009 and a professional since 2011 and I am here to tell you that very few people are having the success you are having from ACX and that is not going to support you.

Take my story for instance, I signed up for a pay to pay 2 years ago this month, and had my subscription paid and in the money within 30 days...this is not normal, but it did happen to me!

From what pro's have told me, I had an unusual freshman year, but I worked my *** off. When the year ended, I was averaging 2 auditions a day.

Yes, be leery, but as in anything else, do your homework and do what is going to work best for your career.