Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Casting Call

Casting Call BTVA's newest feature. Audition for voice acting projects created by members of BTVA. Project owners can manage the entire project from start all the way through to casting.

Old 01-23-2013   #1
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Feedback

Share your experience after having used Casting Call. Would love to hear what you thought.

Last edited by OptimusSolo; 09-02-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #2
Soymilk Purin

Default Re: Feedback

I haven't used it yet, but I had a look at the layout and played with it for a while, and I think it's interesting. Might give it a spin next time I'm casting. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but as someone who does cast professional voicework online, I'd be a little bit wary of posting to a website that also allows for fandubs or other non-licensed work. Especially since the thrust of the site itself seems to be dedicated to official works, it seems weird to allow non-licensed (and in some cases illegal) fan projects to be cast here.
Soymilk Purin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #3
NCZ
Money Money 2020

If the project is based on a pre-existing IP, it should be fine as long as the project's creator is not making any profit off of it.
Old 01-25-2013   #4
Foxwolf
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Soymilk. You bring up valid points. But to elaborate on what NCZ said, the main purpose of Casting Call is for amateur projects and aspiring/beginner voice actors. While you are correct in that BTVA's library of content is for official works, on the flip-side, the interactive features like Voice This! and Act Your Voice Out are aimed specifically at non-professionals.

Of course if members such as yourself wish to post professional projects to Casting Call, we certainly encourage it. The options when creating a project are there (ie. the Classification of Profession (officially licensed) and Offering of Paid Work).

Casting Call is not trying to compete with Voice 123, Voices.com, Voice Bank etc. as they are aimed at a higher experienced and professional level. We're just trying to offer to the community a more stream-lined and user friendly process for doing what's been done for years.
Old 01-25-2013   #5
Soymilk Purin

Captioning a screencap and dubbing an entire clip are two different things. If you caption, you have to come up with something interesting yourself. It's a parody, which could easily fall under the Fair Use clause. Fandubbing doesn't fall under fair use no matter how you slice it.

I guess I was getting the impression that BTVA created this to act as the "bridge" between the VAA and V123. A place for people who are serious about going pro to find a starting block before jumping in to the pay to play sites. I think fandubs would be detrimental to that cause, but it could just be my own misinterpretation of the purpose.

Regardless of whether or not any money is being exchanged, I think my clients would feel uncomfortable if I cast from a platform that also encourages budding voice actors to download their games (possibly illegally - as is the case with most fandubs), take all the assets, and redub portions with new voices. I'm not telling you to take down your options, since it's your site to run as you please, and my input is only one of many. It's just that at this point in time, the casting call section and my current needs (read: preferences) just don't intersect.
Soymilk Purin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #6
NCZ
Money Money 2020

Sorry, I misintepreted the original post. I thought you were talking about things along the lines of fan fiction, for example, someone making a new story set in an already-made universe. Those are okay, again as long as no profit is being made.

I believe the fandub category on here is meant to be for scenes and snippets of a show that are being dubbed for fun. I can't say I endorse fandubs of whole series, movies, or episodes. That means people would be able to watch something without giving their money to the original creators, which is, so we're all clear, not good.
Old 01-25-2013   #7
Foxwolf
Administrator

Again, NCZ is correct. I will update the page to note in regards to Fandubs being specifically for scenes/snippets, and NOT for full episodes/movies etc. I certainly do not advocate that.

Or change the term altogether. Is there a better term than Fandub that the general community would be familiar with that has the above meaning?
Old 01-30-2013   #8
NCZ
Money Money 2020

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...i-Oh-season-0/

This looks like it might be a "full series" fandub.
Old 02-02-2013   #9
Hendercrazy

I just auditioned a couple of characters for a project and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I'm really digging how the final product looks and works!
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #10
SCP21

Send a message via Skype™ to SCP21

More than likely if someone IS doing a fandub, they ARE doing the whole episode and or series. 99% of the time that is the case. So changing this or removing it is folly.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
SCP21 is offline   Reply With Quote