Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Casting Call

Casting Call BTVA's newest feature. Audition for voice acting projects created by members of BTVA. Project owners can manage the entire project from start all the way through to casting.

Old 01-23-2013   #1
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Suggestions/Improvements

Have any suggestions on how Casting Call could be improved? Maybe there's a new feature you'd like to see.

Would love to hear what's cooking on your brain

Last edited by OptimusSolo; 09-02-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #2
Pokejedservo

Default Re: Suggestions/Improvements

First of all is it possible for a character to have 6 audition lines? Cause I know its supposedly traditional to go with 5 but I was thinking of using 6 lines (as it is a nice even number). However I do understand that the amount of audition lines should not be anymore than 6 though.

Anyways I was thinking of a few ideas...

For the Character info under the "Age" and over the "Characteristics/Notes" we can have two other little info categories as well such as...

Voice Tone:
High
Moderately High
Medium
Moderately Low
Low
Any

Accent: (And the producer would just type in the accent here and if they don't want an accent just leave it blank.)

Though the latter can of course be optional though I am also thinking for the "Casting Call" section on our profiles we can make a little profile for ourselves. Namely if we want to we can fill out certain areas like this...

Voice Tones/Types:
Accents:
Can you sing?:
Resume/Website:
Available for Scouting?:

And things like that, what do you think?

Last edited by Pokejedservo; 01-28-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #3
Foxwolf
Administrator

So the issue right now for more than 3 audition lines is the layout is restricted to 3. However, if there are enough requests for it, I'll certainly be willing to re-work it to accommodate more.

The purpose of Age was to give a ballpark range for anyone who auditions. The characteristics/notes is where the specifics some into play and where I think the specifics can be placed like Voice Tone and Accent. I've noticed at least in one project so far that a VA is mentioned as a voice template for a character, which I think would be common for projects that use characters that have already been voiced.

As for your last question, don't forget there's going to be a Voice Acting Portfolio feature created where all of those areas will be covered.
Old 01-29-2013   #4
Pokejedservo

1. Understood but to be honest I hope you at least make it more than 3 since 3 seems to be a bit too small of a number for me regarding the amount of audition lines. (Unless of course its for a really small role that only had about one or few lines but thats a different story.)

2. Fair enough I can see what you mean there on how "Characteristics/Notes" can be used like that.

3. Sounds good, I'll definitely look forward to that.
Old 03-29-2013   #5
Druoxtheshredder

I'd love if we could sort the auditions by the type of project or format of said project so it would be easier for people to find the kind of project they want to audition for.

For now that's all I'd need personally, I really like how the current format is. 3 lines is fine, and doesn't take up too much space so it's easy to scroll through the characters.

I'm so happy to see this site has grown from the last time I was here. I'll be visiting here more often now.
Druoxtheshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #6
Foxwolf
Administrator

Forgive me, I just woke up but you mentioned sorting auditions as well as finding projects by type/format.

Could you give me a couple of examples (and pages) of what you're referring to? Is this just on the page that lists all the projects?

Thanks, it'll help me nail down exactly what needs to be done.
Old 03-29-2013   #7
Pokejedservo

Well I do have an idea that I wonder if it could work for auditions and it is to allow producers to provide a "sample voice" for characters.

What do I mean by this? Simple often enough in various productions producers want the people who are auditioning to try to imitate a certain voice as much as possible. This is common for adaptations in which producers will provide a clip of the characters' official English or Japanese voice. But this can be used for original productions in which producers can use a sample clip in which it will give us an idea of what kind of voice they want for a character. The clip can go underneath the character's picture and one could potentially play the clip if they so want to. But the question is how to use this idea...

One idea is that if the producer wants to pick a sample clip for a character then they could use one of the several audio clips in the site. They would then access a search menu where you can search through the sound clips on the site until they find one that they would want and use it as the sample clip for that character for the Casting Call. However the only potential problems are that while there are plenty of sound clips in the site but there are plenty of TMG's that have little to no sound clips at all and that the majority of them are English so certain producers may find our selection rather limiting. So in other words we may get plenty of requests to add certain sound clips to the site more if we did this idea.

Or we could allow producers to upload their own clips for the characters in their productions that way they are not limited to what we have. However this would also be a bit more difficult to regulate (even if producers use some rather questionable choices for clips though). But it would at least give them a bit more freedom over which sound clips they use as a "sample clip" for the character auditions.

But either way characters only get one "sample clip" each and this will be optional since I am well aware that there are producers who encourage people to come up with their own takes on characters.
Old 08-07-2013   #8
BlaiseDemon

I would like to suggest a FEEDBACK Feature. Kind of like the way eBay does. If someone who has auditioned and been cast in a project does not deliver their lines in a timely fashion, they can be rated and commented upon. Works the other way too, if someone is very responsive and easy to work with they get a high rating and can be commented on as well.
BlaiseDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #9
Foxwolf
Administrator

This is a brilliant idea BlaiseDemon You could take it even further and apply it to project owners. I know there is at least one member who unrealistically churns out new projects one after the other so giving feedback to project owners would work as well. eg. Are they a good/trustworthy "seller"?

So to use your ebay analogy:
Audition-ers = Buyers
Project Owners = Sellers
Old 08-07-2013   #10
BlaiseDemon

I think that would be a great idea. Sometimes one never knows if they are dealing with a legit project coordinator or not. We may even be able to do categories like, met deadline, project coordinator began production rapidly or dragged their feet. Dir the auditioner (buyer) receive a copy of the finished work in a timely manner, etc... I like it!
BlaiseDemon is offline   Reply With Quote