Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Idea Input

Idea Input Share reactions on the latest BTVA Features or give us ideas on what you would like to see.

Old 08-14-2012   #1
Blair

Default How about some tutorials? A submission template?

I joined this site because I was greatly impressed by the style and amount of detailed work that has gone into it. This made me want to help.

But I look everything over as a new user, and I am overwhelmed. So many forum sections (maybe a few could be combined that have only a few topics despite existing for 2 years?), so many topics, and aside from that I'm not sure what exactly I need to do/provide or how?. I have other questions, and I'm not exactly sure where to ask. (Actually, I had them a few days ago but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.) Any tips on where to start?

(I did read the FAQ. The answers there aren't quite what I'm asking.)

Another thought is based on the poll asking "if members were allowed to upload..." Since I do not yet know how the system here works other than the fact that only a few people do a whole lot of work, what about taking a page from Wikipedia where a form is provided, a member just fills in the blanks making it a few steps faster for the staff work to be done.
Old 08-14-2012   #2
NCZ
Administrator

Default Re: How about some tutorials? A submission template?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask. By helping, do you mean contributing to the site? For a normal user, you'll have to make a request in the requests section, being sure to provide images and sources.

Oh, and if this member submission thing gets off the ground, we WON'T be doing it at all like Wikipedia. We pride ourselves on having info that's as accurate as possible, so we'd prefer to look over every submission carefully and fact-check rather than have things be blindly submitted.
Old 08-15-2012   #3
Blair

Yes, by helping I mean looking through the site and seeing missing characters.

Reasoning example: "Crazy Bob voiced by Jimmy Jones is missing from the series 'Where in the World is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.' I have the copy of this show and would like to provide this information, the VA name, picture of the character, and voice sample of the VA. So what? I just find the topic for this example series and outright upload images and a zip file containing a WAV or MP3 of the voice? Or is there more to it than that?"

As for the other half of my post, maybe Wikipedia was a misleading example. I wasn't talking about a member submitting and it automatically uploading without verification. I meant filling out a forum (like you do when changing settings on you register to a site or update your User CP) which is then is presented in more of a WYSIWYG form that, if correct, can be cut and pasted for easier upload by the staff (instead of the process of posting bits and pieces in individual forum topics.)
Old 08-15-2012   #4
NCZ
Administrator

I see now. Just upload the image and sound clip to file-hosting sites like Imageshack or Mediafire and create a topic that includes the links, as well as a source to confirm the credit if possible. Check the other request topics for examples.