Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Idea Input

Idea Input Share reactions on the latest BTVA Features or give us ideas on what you would like to see.

Old 08-02-2012   #1
SmartyBoyboy

Lightbulb Additional voices

I propose to you guys, that we add an additional voices section for voice actors who have done otherwise unspecified or unnamed roles in movies and TV shows, much like with the narrators section, with breaks for different languages maybe. Would you please do that, okay?

Thanks,
Max

Last edited by TylerMirage; 08-03-2012 at 12:43 AM.
SmartyBoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #2
thomwim

Default Re: Additional voices

I'm interested. That way, we can decode the roles by voice matching, which I stink at.
Old 08-03-2012   #3
SmartyBoyboy

We can both try our best; the credits list which actors are in it.
Old 08-03-2012   #4
TylerMirage
Administrator

That's a great idea, SmartyBoyboy, but we're already way ahead of you. That's an idea that we've been discussing amongst us mods/admins for quite some time now. We're still waiting on specifics and such, but it's something that we'll hopefully have up and running in the future. There's a lot of shows/games/movies/etc. that have a hefty amount of VAs under "additional voices" that we want to give recognition to, but quite a few other things need to fall into place first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
I'm interested. That way, we can decode the roles by voice matching, which I stink at.
That would make it easier, yes, but they way we have it planned out now, thomwim, is that we wouldn't assign specific characters to specific VAs. There would be no "decoding". For example, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs lists about 20 or so characters that are linked with specific VAs. It also has an "additional voices" list of more than two dozen VAs who are not assigned to specific characters. And we would not try to assign specific characters to them. It would be far too time-consuming and there would be far too great of potential for error. So it's an "all-or-nothing"-situation. We would either

a.) have to spend an inefficient amount of time trying to identify every. single. random. character. that a VA listed under "additional voices" (in every. single. game/movie/show that has "additional voices") might have voiced and risk not being able to identify all of them
OR (as we plan to do)
b.) we simply credit everyone listed under "additional voices" with one role. They would merely be credited with one role (the yet undetermined "Additional Roles"-image), because they're only credited as "additional voices".

Paul Eiding, Jess Harnell, Ariel Winter, etc., would have ONE "Additional Voices" credit from CwaCoM, for example.

So yeah, hopefully we'll have this feature functioning soon, but please be patient with us. There's a lot of other things we're all working on, and this - while it is a good idea - is not one of our primary priorities at the moment.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 08-03-2012 at 12:54 AM.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #5
thomwim

On second thought, let's stick with plan B: the group of additional voices.
Old 08-03-2012   #6
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
On second thought, let's stick with plan B: the group of additional voices.
you realize you have nothing to do with this decision right??
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #7
thomwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimussolo View Post
you realize you have nothing to do with this decision right??
d'oh!
Old 08-03-2012   #8
SmartyBoyboy

No, thomwim has a good point. It would be to identify all of the characters' voices, and see who's who.
Old 08-04-2012   #9
TylerMirage
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyBoyboy View Post
No, thomwim has a good point. It would be to identify all of the characters' voices, and see who's who.
An admirable quest, yes, but not one that would be easy or efficient to accomplish. With hundreds upon hundreds of movies/shows/games that have anywhere from five to three dozen VAs under "additional voices" that are not attached to a specific character, it would be illogical to try and assign random, unidentified roles to VAs. As I said above, it would be an all-or-nothing situation, and the "all" option is virtually impossible. Thus, "none" will probably be the course of action that we would take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
we simply credit everyone listed under "additional voices" with one role. They would merely be credited with one role (the yet undetermined "Additional Roles"-image), because they're only credited as "additional voices".

Paul Eiding, Jess Harnell, Ariel Winter, etc., would have ONE "Additional Voices" credit from CwaCoM, for example.
If Charlie Adler is blatantly credited as "Starscream", then it's obvious that we credit him as such. But if he is one of two dozen VAs under "additional voices", we're not going to spend time mulling through the roles to try and find an unidentified, random, inconsequential bit part that we may or may not be able to confirm. We would give him ONE ROLE as "additional voice" if he was listed as such.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #10
Dogman15

Default The thing about "additional voices"

I was reading this just a minute ago. So I understand that actors credited under "additional roles" can't really be added to the site, but what about Charlie, Pete, and Tony on Monsters, Inc.? Their names (Phil Proctor, Joe Ranft, and Guido Quaroni) are also under "additional voices", but characters are attached to them because their voices were easily identifiable despite being semi-uncredited. And very often, "additional voices" or uncredited roles get added to BTVA anyway when independent verification of a voice role can be found elsewhere, such as in an interview or from an actor's response on social media (Facebook/Twitter), or in an e-mail with the actor or their agent.

Same thing here: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ad.php?p=62912
So I'm not sure what my question is. But I think I know what I want. If an actor was in "additional voices", but we're over 95% sure that they voiced a certain character, why can't that be added/connection be made? And how do you handle independent verification from sources other than the film's/show's/game's credits? Do theme park attractions play into this in any way? Or commercials?
Dogman15 is offline   Reply With Quote