Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips

Voice Acting Tips A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas or share audition stories.

Old 06-10-2012   #1
Martin Perks

Default Help! I need to get my voice back!

Okay, so days on end of shouting into a microphone and I'm fine. Barley an itch in my throat, and I was able to switch between my high voice and low voice still.

Yesterday, I went to Thrope Park. I love roller-coasters and shout and scream my guts out on them because it just feels more fun...

Now I can barely speak above a whisper T^T. I was hoping it'd be back to normal by morning as that's usually the case, but I guess I had too much fun this time.

I know it'll probably come back in a few days. But is there any advice to nurse it back to health quickly, but also safely so I don't do any major damage/change my voice?

One thing I usually do is drink tea without Milk (as the milk creates mucus), just put some extra sugar in there. I just thought I'd see what others do.

(FYI The rides called Stealth, Swarm and the Colossus are friggin' AWESOME!)
Martin Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #2
Martin Perks

Default Re: Help! I need to get my voice back!

Okay, my voice is back (pretty much was okay by yesterday evening). However I still think it'd be good for when other people have these moments to know of some remedies.

So shoot them out!
Old 06-25-2012   #3
ScarletRaven

I once did a fandub of Haseo from .hack//GU screaming (in response to my friend HeavyMetalGonyea). I lost my voice for a few days. I haven't heard of any remedies, but my voice did eventually come back. Now when I attempt screaming voices for fandubs I try to control (yeah, fake scream). But most of the time it doesn't really work as well. However, for laryngitis from other things...it's recommended that you use a humidifier/moisturizer and also drink lots of fluids.
ScarletRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #4
Hendercrazy

Just simply resting your overstrung vocal chords is the best way to recover. Outside of that... stay hydrated and getting some vitamin C in your body never hurts either.
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #5
SilverTailedFox

I don't know if it would be an entirely effective, or quick remedy, but you could try honey as well. Straight, or in tea. If it doesn't really effect the healing process, it would at least coat the throat to make it more bearable =)
Old 06-29-2012   #6
Lapianoman

I'd read that many pro's use Traditional Medicinals Organic Throat Coat Herbal Tea, so I bought some. It does help, but it has an unusual flavor to it...not horrible, but not entirely pleasing. Adding honey is recommended.

The reviews on Amazon are generally positive: http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Me...DateDescending
Lapianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #7
Mrbipolar

Whenever I trash my voice I usually munch on some black licorice. It really helps... if you can stand the taste.
Mrbipolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #8
Martin Perks

Those are all interesting, I'll have to try that Traditional Medicinals Organic Throat Coat Herbal Tea some time ^^.