Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Act Your Voice Out - BTVA's Voice Acting Contest > Questions

Questions Not sure about something regarding the contest. Post your question here.

Old 06-30-2012   #11
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Re: Season 3 Ideas

We mainly try to use franchises that already have an established voice acting base, though as season's progress and we evolve the contest, who knows, we may expand outside of that.

But let me not hold back when I would say a BIG YES to some Game Of Thrones monologues!!! You can probably tell, my avatar speaks for itself

And would it be wrong of me to suggest that IF this were ever to happen to let both the guys and gals voice Tyrion?? I think both genders would rock his dialogue!
Old 06-30-2012   #12
TomStheVoice

Send a message via Skype™ to TomStheVoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
We mainly try to use franchises that already have an established voice acting base, though as season's progress and we evolve the contest, who knows, we may expand outside of that.

But let me not hold back when I would say a BIG YES to some Game Of Thrones monologues!!! You can probably tell, my avatar speaks for itself

And would it be wrong of me to suggest that IF this were ever to happen to let both the guys and gals voice Tyrion?? I think both genders would rock his dialogue!
I do wish Winter would come to Season 3. Anything Tyrion says is awesome, and those of either gender who can match that must have something special.
TomStheVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #13
asmithhers

Send a message via Skype™ to asmithhers

Aye, Westeros and the Lords and Ladies of it's lands are just teeming with glorious and raw monologues ripe for the taking! In addition, I think Studio Ghibli films would make for an awesome round as well.
asmithhers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #14
Foxwolf
Administrator

Studio Ghibli would be grand!!
Old 07-09-2012   #15
Hayabusa47

I've actually got an idea that I think would be kinda cool. I've often heard voice actors talk about audition processes (mainly for video games) and they've been given lines and a vague description but no picture and it's usually an already established character. So I think there should be a round like this, list some famous character and dialogue, maybe someone like Spider-Man or Bugs Bunny, but give a small description of their vocal type and let the finalists build a voice then when it's time for voting show the picture of who they were voicing for (if they haven't already guessed ). Just an idea.
Hayabusa47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #16
Foxwolf
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa47 View Post
I've actually got an idea that I think would be kinda cool. I've often heard voice actors talk about audition processes (mainly for video games) and they've been given lines and a vague description but no picture and it's usually an already established character. So I think there should be a round like this, list some famous character and dialogue, maybe someone like Spider-Man or Bugs Bunny, but give a small description of their vocal type and let the finalists build a voice then when it's time for voting show the picture of who they were voicing for (if they haven't already guessed ). Just an idea.
you're right. sometimes character designs aren't even complete before dialogue needs to be recorded.
I really like this idea as it certainly amps up the challenge and adds an element of surprise
Old 07-12-2012   #17
Hayabusa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
you're right. sometimes character designs aren't even complete before dialogue needs to be recorded.
I really like this idea as it certainly amps up the challenge and adds an element of surprise
Thanks I'm glad you like it
Hayabusa47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #18
Zylphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusSolo View Post
Again you couldnt be more wrong. First of all, in beginning acting courses usually the first thing they submerge you in is improv and seeing what you have to offer but that is neither here not there.

I think you are using a different definition then I am of mimicking. When I am talking about mimicking I am not just talking about thinking or picturing a person or trying to be emulate them or read a script. The mimicking I am talking about is when someone studies tirelessly and actually perfects not only the tone, pitch (sound) of the person but also their timing, their cadence, their phrasing and EVERY aspect of their voice. This is nearly an impossible art which is why there are so FEW famous mimickers out there.

Yes anyone can ATTEMPT to sound like someone and copy bits and pieces but very few people can actually mimic someone. We just had over 250+ auditions in which people tried to mimic famous voices. Do you know how many did a mimicked voice successfully? I would say less then 5. So, yea not as easy as you think or say it is!

P.S. lets compare numbers on how many famous voice actors out there today create original voices vs those who do great mimicking...yea a TON more on the original side (and thats for a reason!)
I totally agree with you on that one, Solo. My best friend and I like to try and imitate people and cartoons all the time, but we know we sometimes sound NOTHING like them! I mean, for me, it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to pull off certain voices in the "Voice This!" section of the website! With one of my performances, I even had to completely change the voices because I simply COULD NOT IMITATE the characters! It's much easier for me to create a new voice for them instead of using the ones they already had.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't like to try and imitate people. I love it! It's quite fun to try and find out what voices you can and can't do. For example, I think I can do a really great imitation of Ed from Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Mrs. Fowl from Jimmy Neutron, and Billy from Billy and Mandy. But I know for a FACT that I sure as heck can't do a Pikachu, Dexter, or Bugs Bunny impression!
I guess the best thing about this whole voice acting stuff is seeing what's out there and what works for you. Some people can find their own voices for their characters based off of other people's characters! And hey, if you think about it, when Street Fighter was first being made, they still needed to find voices for Ryu and Retsu and everybody else. So those voice actors had to create original voices for these characters, and over time, those voices were the ones we try to imitate today!

But I also do agree with some of the things Luciouscbt said. I DO want to hear more voices outside of the really popular ones, because people are going to (at least) WANT to do the voices that everyone is used to hearing. Just like on this site, there are really popular characters that have really stunning voices; then you have other people voicing these same characters and it sounds so different from what you're used to, and the audience ends up hating it. In the end, this might force some actors to try and sound like the "original" voice as much as possible.

However, throughout the competition, it was interesting to see all of these popular and familiar characters that the contestants had to voice, because it makes it a very huge CHALLENGE to them! It's like saying, "here's a character. Pretend this never had a voice to begin with, and give me something new. What do YOU THINK he/she should sound like? Good luck!"

So next time, DEFINITELY, I'll audition for the competition and give it my best shot!
But yeah, you should definitely add some new things in the competition. But this post is long enough, so I'll suggest some things for Season 3 in another post. lol
Zylphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #19
Zylphia

I remember way back when Season 2's competition was just starting, and you guys had callback performances for a vast majority of the auditions. I think you should put more of them in your competition next season!

They were perfectly good examples to use for faceless characters, and I don't think they were used enough in the competition! I think they really helped focus on the contestants' VOICES themselves. Plus, it could really help someone in the competition who might be easily intimidated by trying to voice popular characters.
Zylphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #20
Foxwolf
Administrator

Thanks for your ideas Zylphia. We definitely have some changes we have in mind to keep trying to improve the contest as a whole