Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Discuss your favorite NickToons & Nick Jr cartoons or any other Nickelodeon Shows

Old 06-25-2012   #11
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Re: Legend of Korra

For what was supposed to be a 1-off 12 episode season (before the creators found out they got a second season) it was pretty d*mn brilliant.

My only fanboy-crying's about the finale were:
- lack of explanation of Amon's ability to take away bending short of "advanced bloodbending"
- Korra getting her bending back so quickly (BUT, given it was supposed the permanent end of Korra, I get why they did that. Would've been a great character arc for her to go through a longer low point in her life as the avatar)

Overall the advance in technology grew on me greatly.

The one thing I found was that the adult characters were waaaaay more interesting than the new "Team Avatar". Korra was a pretty-by-the-books headstrong and at-times-vulnerable character. Mako was nothing special. Bolin was a poor man's Sokka (I laughed at maybe one or two of his jokes) and Asami was okay (only given her conflict with her father)

However, I found Tenzin, Lin Bei Fong and Tarlok much more gripping in terms of characters.

And am I the only one who thinks there should be a Tenzin family comedy spin-off!!!
Old 09-02-2012   #12
Strife

Send a message via Skype™ to Strife

This series is wonderful. I love Korra. She is so gung ho. It's great to watch. I guess if I had to pick something I didn't like it would have to be the use of Bolin during the last third of the series. In the last episode, Bolin kinda tries to lighten the mood and Mako dismisses him with a "not now."

Also, I'm not exactly big on the whole MaKorra thing. In the Last Airbender, I knew that Aang and Katara were gonna be together but they took their time with it. On this one, Mako is all over Asami, but then Korra gets captured and he makes a 180. Fangirls online have accused Mako of being a bad boyfriend to Asami. While I'm not too big on shipping, I can't exactly disagree with the last statement.
Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #13
CatsTuxedo

Send a message via Yahoo to CatsTuxedo

Been watching Korra and Teen Titans Go! on TV back-to-back for the past few weeks.

For some reason, I can't help but feel that the show lacks the same kind of life that Last Airbender did. I'm thinking maybe it's because the tone of the show is different and doesn't allow for as much specific expressions and physical acting as Airbender (don't get me wrong, they're still there, just not as frequent as they could be). Or it's because the change in setting brought on more complicated clothing styles that make the character constructions and poses not as clear. Or maybe Mike and Bryan weren't as hands-on with the Korean animation crew as they were on Airbender and couldn't keep certain that the animation would retain its heart. One theory that I'm kind of dismissing at the moment is that they were trying to compete with stuff like Young Justice and ThunderCats, the notion of which I reject because 1) those shows weren't even good, let alone successful, so copying their style would be folly, and 2) Airbender was a good show already, so there's not a whole lot of reason to abandon the elements that made the series so successful in the first place. While I would definitely understand if they simply wanted to take the story in a different direction, I kinda wonder if it's the right direction in the long run.

So while I'm not normally a decisive person in these kind of scenarios, for right now I think I prefer Airbender over Korra.
CatsTuxedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #14
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
- lack of explanation of Amon's ability to take away bending short of "advanced bloodbending"
Chi-blocking + bloodbending = bending-removal

At least that's my theory

TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #15
TaZZerath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
One theory that I'm kind of dismissing at the moment is that they were trying to compete with stuff like Young Justice and ThunderCats, the notion of which I reject because 1) those shows weren't even good, let alone successful, so copying their style would be folly
Wow... in Young Justice's case, them be fighting words!!

Korra definitely had a more 'young adult' feel to it and I think it was hampered by the amount of episodes and the lack of direction when it started (IE was it going to be a series or a standalone title?)

Many series have difficult first 'seasons' as I've alluded to previously (Transformers is notorious for them). I have faith that Book 2 will be better.
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come...and you will know my name is Megatron when I lay my vengeance upon you!" -- Megatron, Quoting the Covenant of Primus, Beast Wars
TaZZerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #16
UltimateCharm

Agreed. So when is season 2 gonna start?
Old 05-22-2013   #17
Strife

Send a message via Skype™ to Strife

I've rewatch the first few episodes myself and I realized something:

I don't like the secondary characters.

I mean, I love Korra. I love Tenzin and his wife, and his two girls. Lin bei Fong is a wonderful Lady of War. And we got some cool villains that are very different from Last Airbender.

That's where it stops. I don't like Mako or Bolin. I forget Asami is there half the time, which is a big negative because they're part of the Krew and I hate that I'm stuck with them. More episodes of the world's worst boyfriend, a beefed up manchild, and that other girl. And I have to see them every episode.

P.S. I liked Thundercats (2011)
Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #18
TheVengeanceKnight

"Later this year":

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...f-korra-book-2

TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #19
PsychicVoiceSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
Been watching Korra and Teen Titans Go! on TV back-to-back for the past few weeks.

For some reason, I can't help but feel that the show lacks the same kind of life that Last Airbender did. I'm thinking maybe it's because the tone of the show is different and doesn't allow for as much specific expressions and physical acting as Airbender (don't get me wrong, they're still there, just not as frequent as they could be). Or it's because the change in setting brought on more complicated clothing styles that make the character constructions and poses not as clear. Or maybe Mike and Bryan weren't as hands-on with the Korean animation crew as they were on Airbender and couldn't keep certain that the animation would retain its heart. One theory that I'm kind of dismissing at the moment is that they were trying to compete with stuff like Young Justice and ThunderCats, the notion of which I reject because 1) those shows weren't even good, let alone successful, so copying their style would be folly, and 2) Airbender was a good show already, so there's not a whole lot of reason to abandon the elements that made the series so successful in the first place. While I would definitely understand if they simply wanted to take the story in a different direction, I kinda wonder if it's the right direction in the long run.

So while I'm not normally a decisive person in these kind of scenarios, for right now I think I prefer Airbender over Korra.
I agree. I have to admit, some of Republic City looked really cool and had great atmosphere to it, but the drab, bland color got really old and a lot of the CGI was pretty darn awful. Meh, I enjoyed Korra, but the only really, really compelling thing about it was Amon, and the reveal for that character was a complete and total letdown. I will check out season two, but if I were to be brutally honest there really wasn't much special about this first season at all, especially after they (in my opinion) ruined Amon.

I mean my gosh, the colors in Airbender were gorgeous! Korra has had it's moments and the way they used lighting was really cool, but it wasn't quite as enjoyable to look at.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #20
CatsTuxedo

Send a message via Yahoo to CatsTuxedo

I knew Korra was visually different from Airbender, but I never thought to take the color schemes into account. With that in mind, Airbender's visuals are definitely more vibrant than Korra's.

I really wish more cartoon developers would take SymBionic Titan's example and get it in their heads that a serious tone and fun, lifeful visuals aren't mutually exclusive.
CatsTuxedo is online now   Reply With Quote