Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > Character Discussions

Character Discussions Who are the best villains and heroes? Discuss all character related topics here.

Old 05-12-2012   #1
pokemastanumba1

Lightbulb Worst Characters of 2011

Since I just completed the ideal list of the best characters of 2011, I figured I'd probably have to do one for the worst characters of 2011.

NOTE: This list reflects my personal viewpoints and opinions and not necessarily anyone else's. If you are offended by my choices and/or my explanations for each one, please do not attempt to insult, threaten, or argue with me. You can, however, make your own list or suggest other candidates for mine, and I'll consider fitting them in.

#5 Yamcha

Dragon Ball Kai was one of the most critcally-acclaimed mainstream anime series of the past two years, and FUNimation's English is sure to not disappoint. As a matter of fact, it's one of the few anime that is actually done better in English than the original Japanese. One of its strengths were a great cast of characters. Each and every one was quite unique, well thought-out, and at least somewhat awe-inspiring. Except for this one...

So how is Yamcha still alive after all this time? He's so pathetic, one of Vegeta and Nappa's pet aliens killed him off in the Saiyan saga by simply exploding. And that explosion was even weaker than Chiaotzu's self-destruction, which didn't even leave a scratch on Nappa. Regardless of the circumstances, Yamcha was brought back via the Dragon Balls, which brings up another point. Why bother wishing people back to life if they're going to die again anyway? Still, the gang just has a knack for searching for the Dragon Balls and wishing the dead back to life over and over again, and it just gets old. Please, just leave this pathetic excuse of a Z-Fighter behind. He can't do squat, and they're wasting some extremely valuable opportunities.

#4 Dawn

The Pokemon anime is most likely the record longest-running of all-time. Over a dozen seasons and still counting, who knows when it will finally come to a real end? Fortunately or unfortunately, it already has ended in a sense, particularly to the veterans of the original (pre-Battle Frontier). Ever since 4Kids gave up the license to the series, it all went completely downhill from there, and there would be no hope of ever regaining its old popularity. An inferior voice cast and a surplus of filler episodes led to its eventual demise, when the Diamond & Pearl subseries completely destroyed everything.

I just want to forget all about the Shitnoh saga, but I can't. No matter how worse things got, I still forced myself to watch each new episode in the hopes that it would finally get better. As a longtime fan of Pokemon (in case one couldn't tell by my username), it was an obligation of mine to support the franchise as much as a baseball fan could support their home team. But whatever little optimism I had towards the anime, it was utterly disintegrated with the introduction of the worst female traveling companion ever.

Honestly, is there any real Pokemon fan who LIKES Dawn as a character? I mean, what good does she do? Whining, crying, complaining, and losing all her contests just gets really old, and only adds up to more excessive filler episodes. She shouldn't have traveled with Ash in the first place, as it took at least three times as long for Ash to get all the badges from Shitnoh than he did in Kanto. She doesn't even know how to properly train her Pokemon. She never once taught Buneary a single new move, and most of her Pokemon had trouble listening to her. Whenever she says the catchphrase, "No need to worry!" I think another character speaks for all of us with the reply "That's when I worry the most."

#3 Smurfette

The Smurfs have always been a lovable bunch. Ever since they first raided television, the franchise exploded into a whole line of collectible figurines, random parodies, and several spinoffs among other mischellaneous riffraff. So it was only natural that it was eventually taken to the big screen in hopes of garnering a new audience. Unfortunately, Hollywood just knows how to NOT make a proper film adaptation of a successful franchise and subsequently ruin it for all the fans.

Once Smurfette finished her first line in the film last year, I knew right away that it was Katy Perry (George Lopez was also pretty obvious for that matter). Don't get me wrong, Katy Perry isn't a bad actress, but her performance in the film is proof that most celebrities can't do voice-over. I mean, when I heard her voice, I never saw at the character as Smurfette, but rather, what Katy Perry would look like if...nevermind. Sigh...when will Hollywood ever learn that using celebrity voice-over talent is simply not a good idea? The practice is just nowhere near as effective as they perceive it to be in theory. Billy West has been protesting the use of it for years now, but no matter how hard he tries, Hollywood completely ignores him and goes about their fraudulent business. I'm really surprised that there's not more activism fighting against this mess.

#2 Finn the Human

Cartoon Network is in a state that's even worse than our economy. Record-low ratings and a mediocre lineup are really bringing it downhill, and there isn't much hope left. I sure wouldn't be surprised if the whole station goes out of business altogether. I mean, there's really not much it has to offer, especially compared to either Nicktoons or Disney XD. But when push comes to shove, I suppose they still have to move on. However, there's still one thing that's really holding it back.

I seriously have to wonder out loud what the heck could've inspired this abomination of a cartoon. Are American animation producers really strapped for ideas these days? And there's the titular character...what's his deal? I understand he's got some sort of mental disability, but still. Those math-related expressions (no pun intended) of his really get annoying, and wow, what's with that get-up? Who wears such a doofy white hat? If it's just for Halloween or cosplayers it'd be ok, but really, I wouldn't stand wearing something like that on a regular day in real life. No wonder Princess Bubblegum doesn't share the same feelings he has with her.

#1 Viewtiful Joe

As its predecessor has been left behind for over a whole decade, nobody had expected a "Marvel vs Capcom 3" for the longest time. Myself, I thought a sequel would've never come to fruition. Well, turns out Capcom finally managed to come through after all these years. But once the roster started to leak to the public, anxiousness quickly turned into disappointment. All the hype for Nightcrawler, Gambit, Silver Surfer and Mega Man X were utterly destroyed with the final release of MvC3, but what do we get? An extremely generic villain, a spaghetti-eyeball thing, and some naked cat girl? Unfortunately, it only gets worse from there.

When this trailer was first leaked to the public, I honestly thought it was a joke or something purely fanmade. I mean, were they really strapped for good ideas (besides Mega Man, though they've been intentionally killing him a while before MvC3 was even announced)? When the final release hit the stores and players uploaded footage of the game onto YouTube, I immediately dismissed the whole ordeal. There was absolutely no justification that any hardcore fighting fan could provide me for buying a copy of that crappy crossover.

However, it was only months later when the Ultimate version was announced. It was a second chance for Capcom to redeem themselves, which they did...kinda. Slightly better-balanced gameplay and a spectator mode certainly tweaked the game a bit. Moreover, most of the newcomers were sure to impress. Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Strider Hiryu and Nemesis were all certainly welcome additions to the roster. It even came at a discounted retail price of $39, which is certainly an impressive deal for those who, like myself, passed on the original. My initial reluctance to purchase a copy of MvC3 finally caved in once the Ultimate version hit stores.

...Okay, back to Viewtiful Joe. *groan* This thing is so stupid I really couldn't believe any fans would defend its honor. First of all, why couldn't Capcom have come up with a better name? Anything, I mean anything less uninspired than "Viewtiful Joe" (I hate to even type that). Joe is such a common boy's name these days it's overwhelming. Also, what up with the "Viewtiful" part? That just sounds so retarded. And how is he a midget? We have enough freakish miniature humanoids running around the gaming world. And couldn't he have worn a color other than red? There's Mario, Diddy Kong, Knuckles, Protoman, and many others. Oh and hes stupid. Did I say that already? No? Well let me say it again. This. Thing. Is. STUPID. And. I. Don't. Like. It.

Sigh...okay, you can start throwing rotten tomatoes or whatnot if that's your pleasure.
Old 05-12-2012   #2
NCZ
Administrator

Default Re: Worst Characters of 2011

The list started off okay (though still not that great), but it got bad when it hit 3 and got worse from there.

All I can say is that I have to wonder if you've ever played Viewtiful Joe. The fact that other characters wear red and that he's named Joe are not valid criticisms. By that logic, I could say that Cloud Strife is a bad character not based on his story arc or personality, but solely because he has blonde hair like a bunch of other fictional characters and a silly name.

While I'm at it... I'll give you Shuma-Gorath because I don't think anyone wanted him in. But Dr. Doom is one of Marvel's most prominent villains. He deserved his spot in the game. Felicia is also popular and from one of Capcom's more well-known non-SF fighters.

Your Finn point was really vague. What makes Adventure Time so bad and seem like they're strapped for ideas? Do you really think Finn is a bad character just because he wears a weird, unrealistic hat? It's a cartoon comedy; it's not meant to be realistic!

Likewise, your dislike of Smurfette seems more like a paragraph on your opinions on celebrity voice actors rather than the character herself. That could've used some improvement.

Sorry, but your list needs work. Many of these criticisms (particularly towards the end) seem like minor nitpicks about the way characters look or act, rather than any valid observations about the way they're written. It seems like you were struggling to think of reasons. I agree with some of your choices, but your reasons could be a lot better.

Last edited by NCZ; 05-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #3
pokemastanumba1

There's also the "Viewtiful" part of his name, which just sounds so stupid to me, and he certainly doesn't look anything like an ideal gaming hero. Not that I expected some sort of Prince Charming, but still! Capcom could've done better, and there are several characters who deserved their rightful place in (U)MvC3.

Does it make any sense to have Galactus, Doctor Doom, and Super Skrull but not any of the primary members of the Fantastic Four? Besides, is there enough people who's actually familiar enough with Darkstalkers to justify representing them? I never even heard of it before MvC3.

As for Adventure Time, Finn is just so annoying sometimes, I wish I could just rip off and burn his stupid hat or punch him in the face! I seriously wonder what the whole concept behind him could be. The other characters aren't any better. Princess Bubblegum is such a doorknob, and the Ice King is the epitome of a generic villain (much like Doctor Doom).

Smurfette isn't such a bad character herself, but Katy Perry's voice completely ruined the character for me. Hollywood is notorious for using celebrity voice talent very poorly. I was considering a few other characters in her place (or even just add to this list), but the movie really killed the franchise for many.
Old 05-13-2012   #4
NCZ
Administrator

The Fantastic Four were left out because Marvel wanted to have more variety in their lineup, and Super Skrull can use all of their abilities and only takes up one character. So including him instead of the four seemed pretty smart to me.

Darkstalkers have been a consistent staple of Capcom's crossover games. Obviously one or two of them were going to show up, and Morrigan and Felicia are the most popular.

Viewtiful Joe's not intended to be a serious gaming hero. The whole game is meant to be comedic. Also, his games were critically-acclaimed and were pretty popular at the time (they've still got a cult following today). It made sense for him to appear.
Old 05-13-2012   #5
Nightmare Crusher

DAWN! I hate Dawn! You're right in saying that she did nothing but fail at contests and cry about it, yet somehow she managed to win one against May. I haven't seen that episode, but how is that even possible?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #6
NCZ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
DAWN! I hate Dawn! You're right in saying that she did nothing but fail at contests and cry about it, yet somehow she managed to win one against May. I haven't seen that episode, but how is that even possible?
The same way it's possible for Pikachu's Thunderbolt to KO a Rhydon.
Old 05-14-2012   #7
pokemastanumba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
She was the main character at that time, and I'm guessing the producers felt so bad for her about her losing almost every other contest, they decided that she had to be the winner, even though May is obviously more experienced and had a much better roster (I don't like May either, but she's at least a bit more tolerable than Dawn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
The Fantastic Four were left out because Marvel wanted to have more variety in their lineup, and Super Skrull can use all of their abilities and only takes up one character. So including him instead of the four seemed pretty smart to me.
idk, Super Skrull just looks like some cheap Green Goblin knock-off if you ask me. Then again, he is a unique and interesting concept, and it was also a great way for Charlie Adler to redeem himself, which he certainly did (thank goodness; I just want to forget all about that atrocity you people call the Super Hero Squad Show).

Quote:
Viewtiful Joe's not intended to be a serious gaming hero. The whole game is meant to be comedic. Also, his games were critically-acclaimed and were pretty popular at the time (they've still got a cult following today). It made sense for him to appear.
Well call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer a video game or character that I can take seriously. Things like that red midget with a V on his head only gives some ignorant higher-ups like the hosts of Spike's VGAs the idea that gamers are bumbling idiots who giggle at teabags and dick jokes. Also, his games came out years ago, so what cult following could he possibly still have up to this day, especially as he was never very well-reowned in the first place?
Old 05-14-2012   #8
OptimusSolo
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OptimusSolo Send a message via Skype™ to OptimusSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
Also, his games came out years ago, so what cult following could he possibly still have up to this day,
You clearly do not know what 'cult following' means or consists of...
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #9
NCZ
Administrator

I don't see how Viewtiful Joe is meant to be sympathetic with dumb gamers. The whole point is that he's goofy and dorky, but we love him anyway. He's a parody of Japanese sentai shows, stuff like Power Rangers. He's not even a midget in-universe; all humans are his size in that game (that's the art style). It's just that when putting him in MVC3, they didn't adjust his size so he'd be true to original form. I really think you should play his game before criticizing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
he was never very well-reowned in the first place?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewtiful_Joe#Reception

Go on.
Old 05-15-2012   #10
pokemastanumba1

Like I said, I'm probably just being old-fashioned, but I much prefer a game/character that I can take seriously. I never come close to favoring any sort of parody to the real thing. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate a good sense of humor, a random throwaway joke, or even stand-up comedy. My point is that you don't always have to poke fun at something/someone to enjoy yourself or entertain others. In fact, a serious game/character can have more appeal than a comedic one if the material is solid and the story is well thought-out.

And again, Wikipedia isn't the best source of information. I'm not saying everything on there is wrong, but I'd much rather see a more reliable resource.