Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > DC & Marvel

DC & Marvel Discuss DC & Marvel properties Here

Old 04-28-2012   #1
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Young Justice

Discuss Young Justice here!

Please NO SPOILERS. Only discuss episodes that have already officially aired in the US. But do feel free to speculate.

Members posting spoilers will be given one warning. A repeat offense will result in a ban.

Last edited by Foxwolf; 04-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #2
Foxwolf
Administrator

Default Re: Young Justice

Better late than never to have a discussion for YJ but here it is.

As the creators Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti have said, this show is really a DC Universe show, not just a "sidekicks" show like Teen Titans was. And as of Season 2 which just aired today, ALL DC characters are available for use in the show and to me, that's freakin' awesome. No creative restrictions.

Now the show up until now has been fantastic and the most important thing is it's appealing to adults and kids. The tone is just perfect, unlike the recent Ultimate Spider-Man, which to me is just for kids.

Anyway, Season 1 I thought was great. Great characters, character relationships, individual stories and the season arcs. And the action and choreography is some of the best I've seen outside of anime and is even on par or better than some anime. The show isn't perfect by any means but it hits a lot more of the right notes than wrong ones. The Light season arc was intriguing from the beginning, but I'm sure others felt the finale didn't really resolve too much, and left more questions than answers.

So Season 2 just aired today and right off the bat it feels like a familiar yet different show. It's set 5 years in the future, the Young Justice and Justice League teams have expanded vastly and the pace of the show has sped up. It's into the new story arc right away and there's no time for rest. The "Invasion" subtitle adds a more intergalactic theme to YJ, whereas Season 1 felt more realistic and grounded. And the creators have stated both these things.
With a bigger roster, the fear is character development may be diminished, but with a great writer/producer helming the show (Greg Weisman), I'll trust that each team member that appears will shine. Like any team based show, I'm way more interested in the relationships of the characters.
eg. already we see the type of relationship that Nightwing has with the new Robin, Tim Drake. And it seems a little like the Batman / original Robin dynamic to me.

Also great to see Season 1 cameo characters finally become superheroes like Batgirl, Bumblebee, Lagoon Boy and Beast Boy.

Some of the new looks are pretty cool too. The most obvious being Season 1 Robin taking the new identity of Nightwing. M'Gann has a new hairdo, and Zatanna has a new costume. Superboy and Rocket look largely the same. Looking forward to seeing Aqualad, Flash and Artemis again.

And kudos to Cartoon Network on making up for their horrible scheduling last year. With two 4+ month breaks during Season 1, it's great to see we got 8 straight episodes to finish Season 1 and at least 6 new episodes of Season 2 all the through May
Old 05-16-2012   #3
Foxwolf
Administrator

Greg Weisman just posted this on his website, regarding a possible Season 3.

"And as I've already stated here and in the press, the second season ALSO takes place over a coherent six month period: between New Years Day and Independence Day. It's just that five years pass in between the two six month periods.

And I'm warning you now: our plans for Season Three - if we get one - involve another time skip between the last episode of Season Two and the first of Season Three. Though, I'm not going to state how long a time skip. (So don't ask.)"
Old 06-03-2012   #4
EliteF50

I stopped watching mid first season, then finished the rest a couple days ago. I am blown away with this show. I didn't expect it to be as great as it is.

The voice cast is near-perfect. There are some miscast characters (Joker), but some are spot on (Batman, Red Arrow, etc).

Bruce Greenwood has really grown on me. I didn't like his performance in Under the Red Hood, but he's fantastic in YJ.
EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #5
Shadow Hawk
Probationary Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
Better late than never to have a discussion for YJ but here it is.

As the creators Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti have said, this show is really a DC Universe show, not just a "sidekicks" show like Teen Titans was. And as of Season 2 which just aired today, ALL DC characters are available for use in the show and to me, that's freakin' awesome. No creative restrictions.

Now the show up until now has been fantastic and the most important thing is it's appealing to adults and kids. The tone is just perfect, unlike the recent Ultimate Spider-Man, which to me is just for kids.

Anyway, Season 1 I thought was great. Great characters, character relationships, individual stories and the season arcs. And the action and choreography is some of the best I've seen outside of anime and is even on par or better than some anime. The show isn't perfect by any means but it hits a lot more of the right notes than wrong ones. The Light season arc was intriguing from the beginning, but I'm sure others felt the finale didn't really resolve too much, and left more questions than answers.

So Season 2 just aired today and right off the bat it feels like a familiar yet different show. It's set 5 years in the future, the Young Justice and Justice League teams have expanded vastly and the pace of the show has sped up. It's into the new story arc right away and there's no time for rest. The "Invasion" subtitle adds a more intergalactic theme to YJ, whereas Season 1 felt more realistic and grounded. And the creators have stated both these things.
With a bigger roster, the fear is character development may be diminished, but with a great writer/producer helming the show (Greg Weisman), I'll trust that each team member that appears will shine. Like any team based show, I'm way more interested in the relationships of the characters.
eg. already we see the type of relationship that Nightwing has with the new Robin, Tim Drake. And it seems a little like the Batman / original Robin dynamic to me.

Also great to see Season 1 cameo characters finally become superheroes like Batgirl, Bumblebee, Lagoon Boy and Beast Boy.

Some of the new looks are pretty cool too. The most obvious being Season 1 Robin taking the new identity of Nightwing. M'Gann has a new hairdo, and Zatanna has a new costume. Superboy and Rocket look largely the same. Looking forward to seeing Aqualad, Flash and Artemis again.

And kudos to Cartoon Network on making up for their horrible scheduling last year. With two 4+ month breaks during Season 1, it's great to see we got 8 straight episodes to finish Season 1 and at least 6 new episodes of Season 2 all the through May
That show is full of crap. Weisman has become obsessed with keeping the voice actors from Gargoyles and Spider-Man from leaving his works which is why it took so long every 6 months for the next wave of episodes especially wht he chose to make the light escape defeat in episode 26 by making the adults get brainwashed. Plus he is wasting time on casting unfamilair people on voice roles instead of giving some of those in LA Anime a chance. If he is planning another season, let's hope he calls it

Young Justice: Arkham World

A season that pretty much goes by the plot from both Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Reason why is because Ra's al Ghul is a member of the Light and why he is with the other 6 villains is because they seem to hae a plan that involves wiping out other villains on the planet as well

Last edited by Shadow Hawk; 07-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Shadow Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #6
Mr.Fennoy93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk View Post
That show is full of crap. Weisman has become obsessed with keeping the voice actors from Gargoyles and Spider-Man from leaving his works which is why it took so long every 6 months for the next wave of episodes especially wht he chose to make the light escape defeat in episode 26 by making the adults get brainwashed. Plus he is wasting time on casting unfamilair people on voice roles instead of giving some of those in LA Anime a chance. If he is planning another season, let's hope he calls it

Young Justice: Arkham World

A season that pretty much goes by the plot from both Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Reason why is because Ra's al Ghul is a member of the Light and why he is with the other 6 villains is because they seem to hae a plan that involves wiping out other villains on the planet as well
They are planning to do a third season, as well as another Time-Skip. Greg would like to do a Justice League Spin-off set in the same universe as the show.
Mr.Fennoy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #7
Foxwolf
Administrator

I read Greg say that IF they get a season 3 green-lit, that they would do another time-skip. He also mentioned that the Justice League spin-off is a rumor.

Do you have a credible source for the info you posted?
Old 11-10-2012   #8
Trami0501

What about new Young Justice season 3?
Trami0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #9
TaZZerath

Finally caught up on all of the current YJ eps. It really sucks they had to put the brakes on this show considering how well the storyline is progressing. While at times it's hard to keep track of all the characters (necessitating some googling since I am DC-impaired in some areas) the plot and character progression from season 2 is really impressing me, along with the dark undertones.
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come...and you will know my name is Megatron when I lay my vengeance upon you!" -- Megatron, Quoting the Covenant of Primus, Beast Wars
TaZZerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #10
Blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
It really sucks they had to put the brakes on this show considering how well the storyline is progressing
Has there been any official reason why they suddenly halted after only two weeks in this part of the half-season? All that I ever saw a few days after the new episode suddenly wasn't on was a Twitter by @CartoonNetwork saying it would be back in January, presented in a very positive "Good news!" kind of way.