Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips

Voice Acting Tips A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas or share audition stories.

Old 02-20-2012   #1
Ringworm128

Default How to do a decent Scottish accent?

I have trouble pulling off a Scottish accent (which is kinda ironic considering my family background is mostly Scottish). So is there any tips for doing a Scottish accent?
Ringworm128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #2
NCZ
Administrator

Default Re: How to do a decent Scottish accent?

Actually, I'm in the same boat. The best way I find to do foreign accents is to imitate a character or person who has one (e.g. when I want to do a Spanish accent, I just do an impression of Vega from Street Fighter IV).

"No, sir... all thirteen!"
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #3
PurpleWarrior13

Send a message via Skype™ to PurpleWarrior13

Try listening to someone speak the accent for a while. Perhaps watch a movie that takes place in Scotland? It's what usually works for me. I find myself being able to do a mean British accent after watching a Harry Potter movie, or a Downton Abbey episode.
PurpleWarrior13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #4
Foxwolf
Administrator

I agree, listen to a line spoken with a Scottish accent, then record yourself reading the same line in your regular accent. Then listen to both lines and identify the differences in the accents (like accentuation's of certain syllables or letters) and try to recreate them.
Old 02-26-2012   #5
cardboardwalk

Listen to Garry Schwartz as the Demoman. It helped me a whoooole lot. Also another good example is that guy in Jurassic Park.
cardboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #6
SilverTailedFox

If we're talking about emulating other peoples accents, I'll have to direct you to Braveheart. I can pretty much guarentee that about 90% of the Scottish accents in that movie are fake. And therefore very impressive to listen to.
Old 06-04-2012   #7
PaopuPrince

Location: I live in Scotland, but don't be suprised if i don't seem to have the stereotypical thick accent.

See, the scottish accent annoys me. I am Scottish and live in scotland yet i don't have a very thick accent, actually not a lot of people have the thick accents that people know Scottish people for and even then there is different types of scottish accents.
I assume you will be going for a billy conelly sort of accent?
I don't have much to contribute but listen to some of his work and maybe listen to the proclaimers until you can walk 500 miles with a scottish accent.
PaopuPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #8
VodkaHaze

This is probably the easiest Scottish accent to learn (it was to me, which is ironic, considering I'm Scottish XD), which is the Glaswegian accent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mRpbWGfNyw
If you want to listen to someone do it, listen to some Frankie Boyle. His accent is pretty thick, and is a good reference. Though for some advice, don't try to overdo it, or it'll sound fake.
VodkaHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #9
RevolutionarySamurai

For most accents I would say start with stereotypes. then you can work on becoming more natural.

as a Scot however, I can give you some specifics =D

vowel sounds with a scottish accent are usually quite snappy. specifically 'R' sounds, which are broader than other British accents. So you want to roll your Rs a lot.

you should also avoid what many people think the 'British accent' is. Which focuses on a long 'A' sound. for example: 'Bath' which would be 'Baath'.

Hope this helps.
RevolutionarySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote