Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Act Your Voice Out - BTVA's Voice Acting Contest > Contest Discussion

Contest Discussion Talk about the contest, how the contestants are performing and any feedback here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011   #21
Bear

Default Re: SCP21's Feedback - Auditions

That sounds more my speed
Old 09-20-2011   #22
Jilly Bean

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-20-2011   #23
SCP21

Send a message via ICQ to SCP21 Send a message via AIM to SCP21 Send a message via Yahoo to SCP21 Send a message via Skype™ to SCP21

No problem all and I too look forward to Fox's idea.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
Old 09-20-2011   #24
RedWishingStar

(Finally found where my feedback was in that first post! My eyes must be failing me...)

Thanks for the feedback, SCP21! :D
Odd about the echo thing, though...My microphone isn't exactly the best, so I think the echo is part of the odd feedback issues I had with it. I played with the settings some, and managed to eliminate some of the static and feedback, so hopefully I'll sound clearer this round!
Old 09-20-2011   #25
Metazoa

I really want to thank you for the feedback. I'll make sure to improve on that next time!
Old 09-20-2011   #26
SCP21

Send a message via ICQ to SCP21 Send a message via AIM to SCP21 Send a message via Yahoo to SCP21 Send a message via Skype™ to SCP21

No problem guys and best of luck.

Contact Details:
Old 09-20-2011   #27
YukariKanashii88

So I had a very good audition. And you liked it.. I'm kinda wondering the problem was then? ^^" OptimusSolo said I had alot of variety (a bit too much for him actually) and emotion, but it wasn't enough to show him I could act per say.
This is a bit odd to me at least because I made my audition very similar to those that pros have posted. (I based it alot on Cristina Vee's demo reel, and Amanda Lee, the newest winner of AX Idol.)

I did some lines showing my acting/voice range, just like a real demo reel. And actually, I did cut down my voice number quite a bit because I didn't want to overwhlem you guys with a billion voices, just a select six to showcase my most powerful ones. xD And if I had only done, like 3 voices with three emotions, would that have stood out to you all, or would you guys have brushed me aside wondering if three voices was my limit?

Cause so far all I've been seeing is for my critique is, you were GOOD but not good enough, you showed emotion and range, but can you ACT?

What should I do differently for next time then? If you guys don't mind answering that. xD

Last edited by YukariKanashii88; 09-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2011   #28
Stingervoice

Talking Re: SCP21's Feedback - Auditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
Hey it's a learning process and we're not perfect either. I like to think I do fairly well too. But I do some exact and others I do leaves something to be desired.

I would suggest playing with what you learn in this, the Voice Acting Tips area and the Voice This! section of the site. It is a fun way to get feedback and try different characters.
Yeah, I agree. Most of the original voices in my audition piece started out VASTLY different than how they ended. I will mimic a character I know, then I will add some of my own "flavor" to it, and by the time I'm done it sounds original. My mad scientist (first voice on my audition) started as Heimerdinger from League of Legends, but quickly morphed into what I recorded. Just toy around with some voices until you find what suites you. As I have been told from tons of friends, as well as the judges, is my high-pitched voices are my weak point, and I can't disagree with that. I am much more of a villain/announcer/bravado hero, personally.
Old 09-21-2011   #29
SCP21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukariKanashii88 View Post
So I had a very good audition. And you liked it.. I'm kinda wondering the problem was then? ^^" OptimusSolo said I had alot of variety (a bit too much for him actually) and emotion, but it wasn't enough to show him I could act per say.
This is a bit odd to me at least because I made my audition very similar to those that pros have posted. (I based it alot on Cristina Vee's demo reel, and Amanda Lee, the newest winner of AX Idol.)

I did some lines showing my acting/voice range, just like a real demo reel. And actually, I did cut down my voice number quite a bit because I didn't want to overwhlem you guys with a billion voices, just a select six to showcase my most powerful ones. xD And if I had only done, like 3 voices with three emotions, would that have stood out to you all, or would you guys have brushed me aside wondering if three voices was my limit?

Cause so far all I've been seeing is for my critique is, you were GOOD but not good enough, you showed emotion and range, but can you ACT?

What should I do differently for next time then? If you guys don't mind answering that. xD
I would say the doing voices part was good in of itself. I love multiple voices. However the point was to show acting chops. I think to incorporate all of it I would do maybe a few quick scenes/lines with multiple characters talking or something. I wouldn't try to base it on a true VA demo as that is fine but those are meant to get a job with the ranges. This is to show you can act regardless of the multiple voices.

I will put something together later this week and maybe do a custom type demo of my own to show some of it. Another thing that would've helped was a 2-3mb file limit on the mp3 auditions as that limited what some could fit into the auditions for timing and file size.

For instance these are some things I've done:
http://www.stevencphillips.net/?page_id=46
http://www.stevencphillips.net/?page_id=39

Mind you the demo is a roughcut for me showing my range. But I can and will be doing a new, better rendition with more of a refined reel showing acting, emotion, inflection and voices. That one I did only shows voices.

Contact Details:
Old 09-22-2011   #30
YukariKanashii88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
I would say the doing voices part was good in of itself. I love multiple voices. However the point was to show acting chops. I think to incorporate all of it I would do maybe a few quick scenes/lines with multiple characters talking or something. I wouldn't try to base it on a true VA demo as that is fine but those are meant to get a job with the ranges. This is to show you can act regardless of the multiple voices.

I will put something together later this week and maybe do a custom type demo of my own to show some of it. Another thing that would've helped was a 2-3mb file limit on the mp3 auditions as that limited what some could fit into the auditions for timing and file size.

For instance these are some things I've done:
http://www.stevencphillips.net/?page_id=46
http://www.stevencphillips.net/?page_id=39

Mind you the demo is a roughcut for me showing my range. But I can and will be doing a new, better rendition with more of a refined reel showing acting, emotion, inflection and voices. That one I did only shows voices.
OH! Now I understand! xD Well thanks so much for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it. ^^
Closed Thread