Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > General Movie Discussion

General Movie Discussion Discuss and review the latest movies you've seen! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 04-24-2018   #11
The Doctor

Default Re: "Avengers: Infinity Marvel Movies Until the End of Time" (April 2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Still wish they had given the roles to some more prominent voice-actors, but hey, what can you do?

Also, "Cull Obsidian" is supposed to be Black Dwarf, right?
At least they went with character actors rather than huge names, but since the characters probably won't have major roles outside of cool action scenes, getting actual voice actors would have been nice.

Yep. Probably wanted to give him more... credible(?) name.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018   #12
TylerMirage
Administrator

Default Re: "Avengers: Infinity Marvel Movies Until the End of Time" (April 2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
At least they went with character actors rather than huge names, but since the characters probably won't have major roles outside of cool action scenes, getting actual voice actors would have been nice.
Oh, I never had much doubt that they’d cast some strong character-actors instead of big names for the sake of big-names. Marvel doesn't often cast celebs purely for name recognition. I just always hold out hope that movies like these would cast more prominent voice-actors in voice-over roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Yep. Probably wanted to give him more... credible(?) name.
It’s definitely a cooler name than “Black Dwarf”, but it just caused me some real confusion because in Avengers Assemble, Corvus Glaive refers to his group as “We, of the Cull Obsidian, The Black Order…”, as if Cull Obsidian was just an alternate name for The Black Order. So for months I've been sitting here thinking "Wait, why are they using the group name for one of the characters?"
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #13
TheVengeanceKnight

I'm guessing the name "Black Dwarf" wasn't edgy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Still wish they had given the roles to some more prominent voice-actors, but hey, what can you do?
I would imagine that's because they're doing performance-capture work too, so that's why.

But then again, plenty of VAs also do performance capture...

Oh, and speaking of which, all of the early reactions seem to be praising the #### out of Josh Brolin as Thanos, so there.

Last edited by TheVengeanceKnight; 04-25-2018 at 07:14 AM.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #14
electronic456

Just got out watching this....

10 years....Be prepared for what happens.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018   #15
The Doctor

I saw this on Wednesday, but didn't have time to write my thoughts until now.

This movie feels like a really good comic book event in the same vein as the original Secret Wars and Infinity Gauntlet. There's not really a central characters (except arguably Thanos) and there's no time to give everyone a big role or spotlight moment, but everyone's mere presence and charisma are important parts of the whole, and I can't imagine this movie without everyone who is in it. The story is very action-heavy and has little time to breathe, but all the action scenes serve the story and move it forward. If I had to name a similar movie, Mad Max: Fury Road (despite of its smaller cast of characters) would probably be the closest equivalent.

This Thanos is very different from the character who Jim Starlin created and I can't blame anyone who would find him in-name-only adaptation, but the core of the character is similar enough and the character is so great by his own merits that I can forgive the artistic liberties taken with him. Also, Josh Brolin gives such brilliant performance through the CGI - animation that the character always feels alive. The character isn't as complex as Killmonger or as relatable as the Vulture, but a larger than life cosmic - level bad guy like this has never been done better in any other superhero movie and I'm saying this as someone who loved GotG Vol. 2's Ego.

You just can't undersell Russo brothers range as directors. They start out in a tv-sitcom, make a breakthrough with a political thriller and now they have made, with no exaggeration whatsoever, filmmaking history with a big cosmic epic. Not to mention how seamessly they blend all the different tones and styles of all the different characters.

With every new MCU movie, you can't help but to ask: "where does this rank amongst the rest?" and a big finale like this (although, Avengers 4 still has a lot of things to sort out) has extra pressure to live up to the hype. I can't say just yet where exactly I would rank this, since movie like this is little bit hard to compare, for example, to something more intimate and politically provocative like Black Panther, but it is definitely one of the TOP-5 and it more than exceeded my personal expectations.

MEGA-SPOILERS!! DO NOT READ, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!!

Oh, and thumbs up for Marvel for being able to keep Red Skull's return a secret. I don't think there was ever even vague rumors about it. Sure, it is little lame that Hugo Weaving couldn't pull the stick out of his butt for a small cameo, but the impersenator was so good that I can't complain.

Last edited by The Doctor; 04-28-2018 at 04:02 AM.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #16
TylerMirage
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
I would imagine that's because they're doing performance-capture work too, so that's why.

But then again, plenty of VAs also do performance capture...
Early articles made it seem (explicitly so) like the Black Order was going to have separate performers for their motion-capture and voice-over, hence my disappointment that it was simply the mo-cap actors who were also "voicing" them. If they ended up being voiced by someone other than the performer on-set, that's where my wish of more established VAs came in.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #17
Soul-dragon
Banned

This was insane all things considered. Ten entire years all lead up to this...and it paid off beautifully. Josh Brolin was next to insane here and that last scene with Spiderman (SPOILERS) did hit me hard emotionally but didn't make me cry. Tom Holland is now the definitive Spiderman to me. Sorry Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield fans, that's just the way it is.

I wonder how everyone is going to come back to life. I mean they can't just kill off Spiderman, Dr. Strange and Black Panther before their sequels that would be tossing millions of dollars down the drain. Something is going to bring them back though we'll have to wait and see who or what will.
Soul-dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #18
TheDayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-dragon View Post
This was insane all things considered. Ten entire years all lead up to this...and it paid off beautifully. Josh Brolin was next to insane here and that last scene with Spiderman (SPOILERS) did hit me hard emotionally but didn't make me cry. Tom Holland is now the definitive Spiderman to me. Sorry Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield fans, that's just the way it is.

I wonder how everyone is going to come back to life. I mean they can't just kill off Spiderman, Dr. Strange and Black Panther before their sequels that would be tossing millions of dollars down the drain. Something is going to bring them back though we'll have to wait and see who or what will.
Probably some time travel or dimension hopping stuff in Avengers 4?
TheDayman is offline   Reply With Quote