Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > General Movie Discussion

General Movie Discussion Discuss and review the latest movies you've seen! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 03-07-2018   #1
Soul-dragon

Default "Ready Player One" (2018)

Thoughts on the new posters? Everyone is freaking out over them so I want to know what people think.
Old 03-08-2018   #2
Luigikun

Default Re: Ready Player One

Perhaps some people are getting sick from the 80s tribute works are popping up recently and Ready Player One seems to be the epitome of it.

One wonders if the film will turn out more successful than imagined or will gain a divisive audience reception like The Last Jedi.
Old 03-08-2018   #3
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigikun View Post
Perhaps some people are getting sick from the 80s tribute works are popping up recently and Ready Player One seems to be the epitome of it.

One wonders if the film will turn out more successful than imagined or will gain a divisive audience reception like The Last Jedi.
This movie is already too self-indulgent.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018   #4
Soul-dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
This movie is already too self-indulgent.
Care to explain more...
Old 03-12-2018   #5
electronic456

Default Re: "Ready Player One" (March 2018)

Well it looks like the early reactions suggest that the movie is fun to watch.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ready_player_one/

I heard that the novel wasn't all that special but Spielberg knows what to do with them. He did it with Jaws and he did it with Jurrasic Park.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018   #6
Ghosty404

Oh hey it’s the meme movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.
It was deemed to be too awesome.
Go to this Discord for a fun time: https://discord.gg/GpZYTej
Ghosty404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018   #7
The Doctor

Just came back from seeing this.

I probably should warn you that if you love the book and are one of those purist kinds of fans who can't handle any adaptational changes without losing your mind (i.e. like the people who hate movie adaptation for stuff like people's clothes being wrong color), you are going to hate this movie. I wouldn't call it in-name-only adaptation, since it does capture the spirit of the book, recreates couple of key moments (no pun intended) and has the same moral at the end, but it probably won't get a passing grade from The Dom (= a youtube personality), if he ever tackles it in his show, Lost In Adaptation. I personally liked the book as a dumb, but fun page-turner and I couldn't help, but kinda see myself in the main character (don't worry, I'm not planning to harass any girls into dating me or making transphobic remarks), since I'm also the guy who quotes his favorites movies all the time and tries to impress people by dropping ramdom popculture trivia in conversations. But, it isn't one of my favorite books or anything, and trailers already showed that a slavish book loyalty was never Spielberg's goal, so I went to see the movie with an open mind and zero expectations.

In the end, I enjoyed it, but it is no masterpiece. It is a fun ride, but you aren't getting anything more meaningful out of it. There are some problems like forgettable villains (which is strange, since Spielberg is usually great with villains) and some really rushed relationship developments (for example, there are two characters who became part of the main group and are by the end ready to put themselves in real danger for them, but they never spent any time on-screen together prior to that), which diminish both the sense of danger and emotional investment you feel for the characters. There's also this random rebellion subplot (which is in the trailers, so I'm not spoiling anything), which comes out of nowhere, is never given any kind explanation or exploration and kinda just disappears from the movie before the third act. It kinda feels like that some studio higher up demanded a Hunger Games - style young adult dystopian rebellion subplot, even though that trend has already died and no one making the movie wanted to do that.

If I had to compare RPO to rest of the Spielberg's filmography, I would rank it somewhere alongside of the likes of The Adventures of Tintin (although, I personally liked Tintin a lot more that this). Visually stunning and entertaining adventure, but not the next game changer.

Ranking - 7/10
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018   #8
TheDayman

Last week, Vic Chao tweeted that he had a role in the movie, looks like it was Goro.
https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/stat...89246857068544
TheDayman is offline   Reply With Quote