Thread: Legend of Korra
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013   #19
PsychicVoiceSpy

Default Re: Legend of Korra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
Been watching Korra and Teen Titans Go! on TV back-to-back for the past few weeks.

For some reason, I can't help but feel that the show lacks the same kind of life that Last Airbender did. I'm thinking maybe it's because the tone of the show is different and doesn't allow for as much specific expressions and physical acting as Airbender (don't get me wrong, they're still there, just not as frequent as they could be). Or it's because the change in setting brought on more complicated clothing styles that make the character constructions and poses not as clear. Or maybe Mike and Bryan weren't as hands-on with the Korean animation crew as they were on Airbender and couldn't keep certain that the animation would retain its heart. One theory that I'm kind of dismissing at the moment is that they were trying to compete with stuff like Young Justice and ThunderCats, the notion of which I reject because 1) those shows weren't even good, let alone successful, so copying their style would be folly, and 2) Airbender was a good show already, so there's not a whole lot of reason to abandon the elements that made the series so successful in the first place. While I would definitely understand if they simply wanted to take the story in a different direction, I kinda wonder if it's the right direction in the long run.

So while I'm not normally a decisive person in these kind of scenarios, for right now I think I prefer Airbender over Korra.
I agree. I have to admit, some of Republic City looked really cool and had great atmosphere to it, but the drab, bland color got really old and a lot of the CGI was pretty darn awful. Meh, I enjoyed Korra, but the only really, really compelling thing about it was Amon, and the reveal for that character was a complete and total letdown. I will check out season two, but if I were to be brutally honest there really wasn't much special about this first season at all, especially after they (in my opinion) ruined Amon.

I mean my gosh, the colors in Airbender were gorgeous! Korra has had it's moments and the way they used lighting was really cool, but it wasn't quite as enjoyable to look at.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote