PDA

View Full Version : Critique/Feedback System

Foxwolf
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
When members post voice acting clips on their profiles (or other sections of the site that have user submitted voice acting), we can allow other members to give rated critique/feedback based on voice acting attributes.

Think of it as a glorified comments system. You comment about what you thought about a member's voice acting performance for a specific clip. Then you can also rate key aspects of the acting such as:

- Emotion
- Believability
- Delivery
- Pitch
- Suitability of Voice
- Mic Technique
- more ...

Members who read these can then Agree/Disagree (much like AYVO's Judge's Feedback)

And maybe based on how many Agrees a member gets they might reach a respected "Critic" level or something. Then members can request for "Critics" to give feedback on their voice work.

TaZZerath
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
You could build 'top 10' style lists out of these once they get going, so that if someone scores highly you can go to them quickly. This may also help potential VA talent scouts if they hear about this site and the recordings, and promote some healthy competition to get better.

Pgirts
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I would not recommend having a rating system. The key to good criticism is being personable and earnest, and it is difficult to do that while trying to adhere to some kind of numeric rating system.

Rather, instead of ranking members, I would suggest conducting short interviews with active members, which could be done pretty easily with the use of Skype. This would be a good way for members of the site to be seen as people as opposed to just usernames. It would be something that could possibly bring attention to the individual's work and to the site.

I think everyone who takes the time to post worthwhile work on this site should be seen as an individual with unique tastes and choices in voice acting.

Foxwolf
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Very interesting perspective. I see what you mean how a rating system where someone gives say 3/5 for Pitch could be seen as "robotic" and less personal.
And I guess voice acting isn't like Math where 3/5 is a non-debatable score. It's either right or wrong for math.

So I have two questions for you then my good man.

1. Your postmortem thoughts on how effective AYVO's Judge Feedback was in relation to the this thread's idea. ie. Is well thought out and constructive criticism and compliments (in stand text/comment) form enough when giving feedback to a voice actors work?

2. Apart from Skype, can you think of any website interactive idea that could be built to accommodate for a more personal experience while giving feedback? Something that is permanent so a voice actor can go back and review it. (eg. live voice or text chat wouldn't be considered permanent unless you save the chat logs)

Thanks again for your insight. Understanding it from a voice actors perspective really helps!

Pgirts
02-03-2012, 12:47 AM
I found the critiques in the AYVO contest to be very effective and thorough. I wouldn't change a thing about the critiques themselves. However, the Agree/Disagree buttons seemed a little too simple; often the judges would make numerous observations and would express both positive and negative negative feedback about particular aspects of a performance. Agree/Disagree is a little too simple; it's kind of a disservice to those very in-depth critiques.

As for an interactive idea for something being personal and permanent...I don't know. Maybe a similar system for what you guys did with AYVO.

Foxwolf
02-03-2012, 03:58 AM
I honestly never thought about it that way. And I actually agree with you that the Agree/Disagree serves little purpose and is often vague. I guess my initial reasoning for wanting it was to try and get some interaction between the members and the Judges. Kind of like how judges in tv contests can really draw in and connect with the audience. eg. Simon Cowell.

I'll definitely talk to the other judge's about the value of the Agree/Disagree feature and possibly removing it.

Thanks again!

SCP21
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
SO far I agree with all that's been going on in here. I will come back in here in a bit to further comment suggestions.