PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Jack Fletcher dubs

JTurner
03-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Fletcher is a voice director who never gets the credit he deserves. Aside from being known for the first three dubs for Studio Ghibli, he has also done many other titles for Urban Vision, and most especially Tenchi Muyo. Nowadays in discussions of voice actors/direction, Fletcher is often forgotten; he tends to be better known for videogames these days, and I feel it's unjust considering I'm a huge fan of this ADR director.

In no particular order, my favorite dubs from Fletcher are Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I admit that these are the primary four I have seen, but I am making plans to watch Tenchi Muyo OVA. Just recently I saw Golgo 13 Queen Bee and Bio Hunter, both of which Fletcher helmed for Urban Vision. Both are great dubs that I've enjoyed. Same with Pet Shop of Horrors. My first Fletcher dub was Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals which received a lot of scorn, but in spite of a grating performance by the main I found it to be fairly well matched considering the corny nature of the material.

Which dubs from Fletcher have you seen that you enjoyed? All these I listed I enjoyed tremendously. I haven't heard him do a bad one.

Skullgrin140
03-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Favorite Jack Fletcher Dubs....In all honesty the man gets 0 credit or acknowledgment in the voice acting industry for his meticulous commitment and detail in who he chooses for the parts he casts, but there are a select handful of great dubs he has been in charge of.

The only times I can really think Fletcher was not as his best when he was directing things like Ferngully 2, Yakuza & Final Fantasy XIII. So I think it feels fair to pick some of his best works, easily his well carried out works of voice direction in the industry as well as my favorite pieces.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Final Fantasy X
Princess Mononoke
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Twilight of the Dark Master
Golgo 13: Queen Bee
Todd McFarlane's Spawn
Tenchi Muyo!
Kiki's Delivery Service
Aeon Flux

Simply put I think the man is really is an insightful and very specific director who makes very careful and very accurate choices in the work he has done, Anime and Video Games really need to use this man more.

JTurner
03-08-2014, 07:32 PM
I figured you would respond, Skullgrin140. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in admiring this man's work.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust -- Hell yes, that was a GREAT one. I loved John Rafter Lee's take as Meier Link and Mike McShane was a riot as Left Hand. Only minor weaknesses was at least one monotonous moment from Leila during the conversation but otherwise I agree.

Princess Mononoke -- Absolutely, double yes. Even Neil Gaiman the scriptwriter thought Fletcher did a solid job with his dialogue.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky -- Very grossly underrated; very pleasing to see another fan of this dub. I've always loved it.

Twilight of the Dark Master -- I haven't seen this yet, but I plan to.

Golgo 13: Queen Bee -- I gotta admit, I was pretty "meh" about the film, but the dub was good, especially John DiMaggio and Denise Fourier, plus Dwight Schwartz. Those guys were good.

Todd McFarlane's Spawn -- I've never been a fan of Spawn, so I think I'll have to add this to my queue.

Tenchi Muyo! -- I plan to watch this, I swear I do.

Kiki's Delivery Service -- My first Miyazaki film, and it holds up very well today. R.I.P. Phil Hartman.

Aeon Flux -- I've heard of this. Is it any good?

Simply put I think the man is really is an insightful and very specific director who makes very careful and very accurate choices in the work he has done, Anime and Video Games really need to use this man more.

Agreed. Fletcher is a very underrated ADR director. He deserves better recognition.

Skullgrin140
03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust -- Hell yes, that was a GREAT one. I loved John Rafter Lee's take as Meier Link and Mike McShane was a riot as Left Hand. Only minor weaknesses was at least one monotonous moment from Leila during the conversation but otherwise I agree.

I would say Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was Fletcher's best works as a voice director simply because he chose the best actors for each of the parts, especially Rafter Lee as Meier Link because his voice clicked so perfectly.

Princess Mononoke -- Absolutely, double yes. Even Neil Gaiman the scriptwriter thought Fletcher did a solid job with his dialogue.

I would highly say Mononoke stands above any of the recent Ghibli dubs somewhat because I think with the way this dub was handled with Famous actors playing the leading roles as well as having regular VA do the backwork I think it is laid out flat and well kept.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky -- Very grossly underrated; very pleasing to see another fan of this dub. I've always loved it.

Agreed, I would say Anna Paquin, Richard Dysart as well as James Van Der Beek were well chosen for the parts they were given. Especially Dysart.

Twilight of the Dark Master -- I haven't seen this yet, but I plan to.

It's a fun anime worth checking out because of the gorgeous animation and character designs but I would say this Anime is rather good for having Andy Philpot as the leading role.

Golgo 13: Queen Bee -- I gotta admit, I was pretty "meh" about the film, but the dub was good, especially John DiMaggio and Denise Fourier, plus Dwight Schwartz. Those guys were good.

Honestly I loved the film because John DiMaggio nailed the part of Duke Togo flawlessly, I felt that when the TV show of Golgo 13 was out the show really needed Fletcher & Dimaggio at the helm because his voice for the main character (providing such a deep and monotone performance) is far more superior than Dave Wald.

Todd McFarlane's Spawn -- I've never been a fan of Spawn, so I think I'll have to add this to my queue.

I'm a fan of the character of Spawn as well as the comic series, this show I would say stands out mostly because of both Keith David & Richard Dysart, David in particular because his emotional and aggressive vocal might really gives you something to feel for the main character of Spawn as well as sets the tone and the atmosphere perfectly.

Tenchi Muyo! -- I plan to watch this, I swear I do.

That as well as Tenchi Universe & Pretty Sammy, under Fletcher's control that little set really were the only good installments in this now stagnate franchise. Anything that came after that sadly did **** the bed quite badly.

Kiki's Delivery Service -- My first Miyazaki film, and it holds up very well today. R.I.P. Phil Hartman.

Couldn't agree more, Phil Hartman as Jiji was such a lovely casting.

Aeon Flux -- I've heard of this. Is it any good?

It's good if you are familiar with Peter Chung's animation and especially with Liquid TV and the golden days of MTV. It's a weird but very entertaining and intelligent show to watch.

Agreed. Fletcher is a very underrated ADR director. He deserves better recognition.

In all seriousness I would take Fletcher's work over any of what Funimation have because Fletcher's dedication and commitment to what he did really showed how into what he was doing for the industry, Someone with that much effort and real hard work needs to be used more often.

Fulgore2005
03-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Tenchi Muyo!- Fletcher did a great job with the series. You can't go wrong with the likes of Petrea Burchard, Jennifer Darling, Sherry Lynn and Kate Vogt.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust- Favourite of the Vampire Hunter series, mainly because of the dub. Andrew Philpot made for an great D.

Spawn- Keith David and Richard Dysart are excellent as Spawn and Cagliostro respectively.

Kiki- One of Ghibli's best dubs. Nice to have the likes of Kirsten Dunst, Jeff Bennett and Kath Soucie in the cast. Not forgetting the late Phil Hartman.

Laputa- Another of Ghibli's strongest dubs. Mark Hamill and Cloris Leachman arguably steal the show, but you can't forget others like Mandy Patinkin and Jim Cummings.

Princess Mononoke- Neil Gaiman and Jack Fletcher worked wonders here. Likeable voice cast too, including the likes of Keith David, John DiMaggio, Billy Crudup and Minnie Driver.

JTurner
03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Spirited Away- First exposure to Ghibli. Jason Marsden's Haku was my favourite from the film.

It's a great dub, no doubt, but Jack Fletcher didn't helm this one. It was John Lasseter.

Skullgrin140
03-10-2014, 06:09 AM
It's a great dub, no doubt, but Jack Fletcher didn't helm this one. It was John Lasseter.

It was a very good dub, didn't have the Jack Fletcher touch but it was easy to listen to for what it did.

JTurner
03-16-2014, 09:32 PM
I would highly say Mononoke stands above any of the recent Ghibli dubs somewhat because I think with the way this dub was handled with Famous actors playing the leading roles as well as having regular VA do the backwork I think it is laid out flat and well kept.

Absolutely. This is a movie I can't watch in anything but English.

Agreed, I would say Anna Paquin, Richard Dysart as well as James Van Der Beek were well chosen for the parts they were given. Especially Dysart.

Dysart deserves a shout out for his role as Uncle Pom; I thought he was really good in that part. My only TWO quibbles with the dub are a few (minor) missed lines on Paquin's otherwise decent turn as Sheeta (James did quite well as Pazu, even if he did sound more mature than he should have) and the last part of Sheeta's speech toward the end. I think it would've been better if Disney hadn't changed the line about "not surviving apart from Earth" to "the world can't live without love", because that DOES strike me as an odd change. But both are minor quibbles of what is otherwise another amazing dub. I think it may be my favorite of the Disney dubs. I didn't even mind the more liberal translation, even though a lot of purists are still quite infuriated about it. Even after seeing it one time in Japanese, Disney's is the version I prefer.

It's good if you are familiar with Peter Chung's animation and especially with Liquid TV and the golden days of MTV. It's a weird but very entertaining and intelligent show to watch.

You know, I'm SO far behind in my backlog. I really got a LOT of catching up to do. I will definitely consider Aeon Flux.

JTurner
03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Watching Twilight of the Dark Master so far. So far I don't notice any grating issues about it, acting or quality wise. But there's a fair amount of extra dialogue and in some cases, extreme rewriting.

Case in point, the opening narration in subtitled goes like this:

"In ancient times, our great Mother gave birth to many, many lives on this Earth in the depth of time. When she created mankind, she also created a demon race to be its arch-enemy in order to teach mankind how to fight fear. At the same time, a tribe was created to protect mankind from demons. They were called the “Guardians.” Demons and Guardians. Although they came from the one mother and one blood, deep in their inner hearts, the flame of hatred sleeps. It is a flame that won’t be extinguished until one of the tribes ceases to exist forever."

Fletcher rewrites the narration to sound like this for the dub:

"In ancient times, there was only the great Mother. She came before and remained long after. She brought all things into being. She created mankind. Frail ones who grovel and strive. Weak ones who are often afraid. The mother wanted them to be strong and unafraid like her. And so she created the Demon Masters without conscience or fear to teach mankind to fight. The demons proved a worthy adversary*— too worthy, as they threatened to destroy mankind. And so the Guardians were created to provide an ally for the weak. An advocate for peace.... An obstructor in the path.... The battle lines were drawn. Demons and guardians eternally linked and irrevocably opposed.... Their hatred consumed them like a flame that smoldered, igniting, burning, destroying... it is a flame that will not be extinguished until one of them ceases to exist forever."

For some reason it doesn't detract though. It still feels fairly faithful to the original. Although that IS kinda strange because the script in this show itself isn't exactly original or satisfying. Interestingly, though, Justin Sevakis wrote a rave review of Fletcher's work on this dub in his "Buried Treasure". Viewing more of this, I actually have to agree.

I'm not particularly fond of this title, though; artistically it's interesting at times, but it's also quite slowgoing and dreary. The performances sounded fine, though, with Andrew Philpot sounding effectively creepy as the lead character. Matt Miller's turn as Taku also shows that he's underrated as a voice actor; his performance sounds very sincere and believable. John DeMita also gets to have another creepy role not that much different from his turn as Count D in Pet Shop of Horrors. This is a guy who really needs more roles. He's genuinely talented.

Solid dub for a meh anime.